News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Cooled down quite a bit yesterday due to a front passing through.  We got less rain than anticipated.  The (relative) cooling is welcome. 
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

hmaria1609

We've got an Excessive Heat Warning for the Baltimore/DC region through Thursday.
I've been outside long enough to put my things in my car and go back inside the library.

Parasaurolophus

It's been pretty hot, and will continue to be pretty hot.

At least it's not super humid.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

We got very little of the remnants of Beryl.  Other parts of the state caught more of it.  We just got a moderate amount of rain, and a welcome break from the heat yesterday.  Hotter again today, but not bad for July.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

evil_physics_witchcraft

apl68

Heat index of up to 107 degrees expected today, and higher still tomorrow.  Looks like a weather front is supposed to bring relief later in the week.  It felt awfully hot out even early this morning.

hmaria1609

We've got an excessive heat warning for the entire Baltimore/DC area today and tomorrow.

apl68

While I was at church yesterday evening a storm front swept in, a couple of hours before the forecasts had indicated it would.  In less than an hour we went from largely clear to massive crashes of thunder and downpours that made it sound like the church building had somehow become relocated under Niagara Falls.  We lost power and had to finish the service in near-darkness. 

The unexpected suddenness and earliness of the onset really took me by surprise--I had ridden to church on my motorcycle!  The rain stopped right after the service, so I put on my rain gear as a precaution and headed home.  I saw lightning from the next approaching squall in the distance.  But barely a mile from the church the ground was dry!  In town proper there was no rain and no power disruption.  And very little rain during the night.  It's a reminder of just how freakishly localized these summer storms can be.

Today it's much cooler (Great!) and largely overcast.  It looks like it wants very badly to rain.  But so far, essentially nothing here in town.

hmaria1609

Lower temps today. The heat wave is gone for now.

Puget

Just got back from DC which was unbearably hot (stayed in AC nearly the whole time). In the train home yesterday we kept pace with a pretty intense t-storm for about an hour. Slightly less hot back here in New England but still hot enough to need AC during the day. Despite this, the Puget cats are insisting on laying one snuggled up against each leg - I guess they missed me, and I'll take this as proof that they aren't just after warmth when they want to snuggle!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

apl68

Reports say that much of the world continues to see new heat records.  Here, we're having the most unseasonably cool, wet July week I believe we've ever seen in these parts.  Go figure.  We've had so much rain this morning that you'd almost think we had a tropical storm remnant passing through.  The rains have prevented an incipient drought, and the cooler temperatures are welcome.  It's not exactly what you'd call pleasant weather, though.

FishProf

Spent a couple of days in Seattle who here were mid 70s and sunny.  This was amusing to smolt and myself b/ MFP has spent the whole lead up complaining about going to someplace that  always rains. She would not listen when I told her that Seattle isn't as rainy as people make it out to be
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

It sounds like Seattle generously loaned us some of their rain this week.