News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Spring Break 2022 plans?

Started by clean, March 05, 2022, 06:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

Leading a field course to the tropics.   This is the one that was axed 2d before departure in the early days of Covid.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Quote from: Istiblennius on March 07, 2022, 09:02:15 AM
On the term system there is no Spring Break. There is a week in which you frantically grade Winter finals and prep for Spring courses. One of many many reasons I loathe the term system.

By "term," do you mean "quarter"?

I've taught in a quarter system, it is indeed brutal.*

But I usually used "term" to mean "semester," by contrast.

Thankfully, I never had to teach in both set-ups at once!

M.

*My undergrad school. Ohio State, was on quarters, then, too, but many others were, as well. After dinosaurs stopped roaming the earth, I think they got on board with the others, of course. But it took awhile. - M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

March Madness on t.v., along with lots of TCM (Oscars month).  Accompanied by finishing up a bunch of half-done crochet projects so I can start new ones.  NO school work allowed.

(All this since it'll be too early and chilly to do much here in the garden.)

Don't be jealous of my sparkling lifestyle.

Puget

Very happy I'll be home for Passover for the first time in 2 years. Zoom just doesn't cut it.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Quote from: Puget on March 09, 2022, 01:19:54 PM
Very happy I'll be home for Passover for the first time in 2 years. Zoom just doesn't cut it.

Good news, glad it will work for you!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

Hoping to fall off the grid in the wilderness for a few days for some solo camping.  This of course assumes I finally get enough TAs assigned that I can disappear for a while.
And sit in my hammock, battle the weeds in my gardens, and enjoy not wearing my work clothes.

paultuttle

Spring Break? What's that?

--signed, a person who just moved in January from a position at a university to a position at a for-profit company

clean

QuoteSpring Break? What's that?

--signed, a person who just moved in January from a position at a university to a position at a for-profit company

Spring Break:
an economic benefit provided to generally southern, coastal communities provided by educational institutions.  It is essentially a redirection of duties away from teaching to allow faculty and staff to catch up on tasks that the employer does not otherwise provide sufficient time to complete. 
For profit companies, in contrast, allow their employees to actually not work and provide them a choice of how and when to spend something called "vacation time".  "Vacation Time" is also paid, even though no work is required in return.  Private employers believe that this time away from duties actually enhances an employee's productivity.  (It is also a fraud detection tool... when employees are away from the employer, they are hampered in their ability to manage fraudulent activities, and as most tasks still need to be done, the substitute may uncover inappropriate activities). 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Larimar

Quote from: clean on March 10, 2022, 06:43:39 AM

Spring Break:
... It is essentially a redirection of duties away from teaching to allow faculty and staff to catch up on tasks that the employer does not otherwise provide sufficient time to complete. 

Yup, that's pretty much it.

Cheerful

Quote from: paultuttle on March 10, 2022, 06:31:03 AM
Spring Break? What's that?

Annual pay raises (and bonuses!) that are at least somewhat aligned with inflation rates?  What's that?

-- signed, someone who thinks the private corporate sector is much better at providing annual raises than are universities.

Istiblennius

Quote from: mamselle on March 07, 2022, 04:25:57 PM

By "term," do you mean "quarter"?

Yes - quarter system. Here we call them terms, so that's an interesting little vernacular quirk!