News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Running Thread

Started by spork, July 28, 2020, 07:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babbinacara

My last race was almost exactly a year ago (local city half marathon). Things are cautiously looking up here (UK), and races are returning: I have signed up for a small local half marathon in early June, plus am in the ballot for a bigger city half and have a deferred place for the Berlin Marathon at the end of September. I've struggled this last year--with no races I have been plodding dutifully but getting slower and slower (age is also a factor here). Really hoping that race training will turn that trend around.

spork

8.5 miles today at 32 F. Got a late start, which meant a late breakfast, and I went back to sleep afterward for an hour and a half.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

ergative

3 miles today at 50F. Spent most of the day lounging on the couch, both before and after.

spork

Quote from: ergative on March 21, 2021, 10:34:47 AM
3 miles today at 50F. Spent most of the day lounging on the couch, both before and after.

For me the couch lounging has been after.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

ergative

Quote from: spork on March 21, 2021, 01:40:13 PM
Quote from: ergative on March 21, 2021, 10:34:47 AM

For me the couch lounging has been after.

Some of us have a higher quota of natural indolence that must be satisfied before running can happen.

traductio

It's supposed to be 60°F today, so my bribe to myself -- if I can get all my class prep done -- is that I'll go running this afternoon in shorts!

It's a persuasive bribe. (I get most of my work done with self-bribes.)

traductio

Quote from: traductio on March 22, 2021, 09:46:36 AM
It's supposed to be 60°F today, so my bribe to myself -- if I can get all my class prep done -- is that I'll go running this afternoon in shorts!

I went running. It was beautiful! Oh my goodness, what a run.

Got home and learned that a kid in my daughter's fifth grade class has tested positive for Covid, and we now get to spend a lot more time in the house for the next two weeks than anticipated.

Rats.

Puget

Sorry to hear that traductio, hope everyone stays well!

I am hereby committing to work my way back through the couch to 10k app. after a winter of not running at all (though I did do a fair amount of walking). Did day 1 today and it was nice-- spring always makes me much more enthusiastic about running (until it gets too hot. . .).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

spork

Quote from: traductio on March 22, 2021, 05:04:35 PM

Got home and learned that a kid in my daughter's fifth grade class has tested positive for Covid, and we now get to spend a lot more time in the house for the next two weeks than anticipated.

Rats.

So, um, I'm not a physician but I'm in frequent communication with several, and I pay close attention to epidemiological statistics given that I'm immune-compromised. If your comment about being in the house is a reference to the whole family quarantining for two weeks, I can tell you that 1) children seem to infect adults at lower rates than adults do, 2) if you are infected, the chance of you infecting someone else while running outdoors by yourself (rather than in a tightly-packed crowd like at the start of a half-marathon) is effectively zero.

traductio

Quote from: spork on March 22, 2021, 05:59:34 PM

Rats.

So, um, I'm not a physician but I'm in frequent communication with several, and I pay close attention to epidemiological statistics given that I'm immune-compromised. If your comment about being in the house is a reference to the whole family quarantining for two weeks, I can tell you that 1) children seem to infect adults at lower rates than adults do, 2) if you are infected, the chance of you infecting someone else while running outdoors by yourself (rather than in a tightly-packed crowd like at the start of a half-marathon) is effectively zero.

It's actually a directive from the city public health department. Our daughter has to go in for a Covid test on Friday (to allow time for the incubation period), and if her test comes back negative, then we can do things like exercise outside again. But until then, we're all supposed to quarantine, per the public health directive.

Otherwise, I suspect you're right. I've been timing my running lately for parts of the day when I'm unlikely to run into too many people. Most people in our neighborhood wear a mask outside, even just walking around (I'm in Canada, where masks are a lot more common than in the States), so I've been running with a mask on, too. Not my favorite way to go, but it's not that bad once you get used to it.

traductio

I was able to go out today -- it's the wrong time of day for most people to be out walking, so I could maintain a good four or five meters from the few other people I passed. Plus I wore a mask. But it was good to get out.

ergative

I did my 3-mile loop three times this week! The weather has been beautiful.

I'm still keeping an eye on perpetual heel pain that hasn't gone away since last fall, but it hasn't really gotten all that much worse, and I feel so wonderful when I finish running that I don't want to give it up. I might see a doctor when All This is over and the After Times render doctors' offices less risky, but it's not urgent enough to push me to any more action than whining occasionally.

mamselle

Rats.

Sorry to hear of that.

Best wishes for sanity to all.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

spork

Quote from: ergative on April 02, 2021, 08:31:06 AM
I did my 3-mile loop three times this week! The weather has been beautiful.

That's great!

I'm still keeping an eye on perpetual heel pain that hasn't gone away since last fall, but it hasn't really gotten all that much worse, and I feel so wonderful when I finish running that I don't want to give it up. I might see a doctor when All This is over and the After Times render doctors' offices less risky, but it's not urgent enough to push me to any more action than whining occasionally.

Perpetual heel pain sounds like plantar fasciitis. I got shock wave therapy for this back in 2017 and it didn't do anything. The solution was building an inclined plane to stand on to stretch my calf muscles and Achilles tendons 3-4 times per day. I also massage the sole of each foot with an old golf ball while standing. Mild pain comes back whenever I'm inactive and things tighten up.

traductio

Quote from: mamselle on April 02, 2021, 10:06:35 AM

Rats.

Sorry to hear of that.

Best wishes for sanity to all.

M.

Her two-week isolation ended today, and tomorrow is supposed to be 50° (instead of the 35° it was today). I'm heading out in the morning -- I can't wait!