News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Winter Break plans 2019

Started by clean, December 04, 2019, 12:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

I teach my last class today.  (In 30 minutes!!)  Then final exam is Monday. 
Some may recall i have had a health issue in October, so Ive been busy with the scheduling of tests. Hopefully the tests can be concluded by next week.
I leave for Florida to visit my parents in 12 days!! I will return on 1/1.  I do not know what I will do in Florida, but I will try to start to walk and i am sure that I will help get ready for the visit of Santa and the nieces and nephews and grand niece to visit their grandparents/great grandparents. 

I will try to work on a paper before i leave. I have not been able to do research since my brief hospitalization.  But i have one paper to get ready, as i have submitted it to a conference in early February and my coauthor informs me that she is out of money so the presentation will fall to me!  So I guess that I had better write what I need to get into the paper and figure out what she has done already!!

Classes resume after Martin Luther King day, but the adminoverlords want us back like 10 days before that!  (bastards).

One class is ready to go up and run online.  Another needs work,a nd the last should not require much work to prepare online.  So I am pretty much ready for classes to resume in January, I think! 

what about you?  Is your term over yet?  Any big travel plans?  Will you accomplish anything noteworthy in the (too) short time that is available these next few weeks?  Are you ready for classes to resume in January?

Any movies you are looking forward to?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Hegemony

I thought everyone's plans for winter break were "Try desperately to catch up on everything that got left behind during the term," followed by "Relax at last," the second of these never being accomplished because of the first.  No?

mamselle

France, Belgium, the UK (if it's still there after the 12th).

Libraries, family, friends.

(Not necessarily in that order....)

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

Quote from: Hegemony on December 04, 2019, 01:37:02 PM
I thought everyone's plans for winter break were "Try desperately to catch up on everything that got left behind during the term," followed by "Relax at last," the second of these never being accomplished because of the first.  No?

I hope not-- that's no way to live. The work will always be there. You will not, especially if you don't give yourself breaks to rest and restore.

I'm spending two full weeks visiting my grandma in Arizona. My parents will be there the whole time as well, and we'll overlap a bit with my aunts and uncles and some of the cousins. I usually just go for a week but she's turning 93 and is my last living grandparent and one of my favorite people, so it seemed like a good choice this year. I'll have to work some from there, but it's work I can do from anywhere (grant writing mostly).  I can't say I'll miss the grey and cold here either, and I'm looking forward to some desert hiking.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Vkw10

Exams are next week. The university changed website this week, hiding unimportant things like the LMS login, webmail login, and calendar with exam schedule. If I survive exams, I'll drive to my brother's for Christmas, with detours to see friends and relatives along the way. My usual two day drive will take four or five days this year.

After Christmas, I'm looking forward to some quality time with a couple of data sets. I've also lined up a dozen old movies to binge watch, three board game nights, and a partner for exploring the local walking trails. My classes are prepped for next semester, so only impediment to my plans will be last minute scrambles for SACS documentation.

Enjoy your holidays!
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

sinenomine

I'll be popping in to campus from time to time to do admin things, but in a laid-back way (I hope!). For the first time in ages, I'm not traveling this December; instead, I'm looking forward to quiet holidays, time to catch up on both writing and leisure activities, and rehearsing for and singing in a holiday benefit concert.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

backatit

We'll be in the UK for the break (we get there on the 13th - that should be LOADS of fun :D). My partner is voting by proxy on the 12th, so we shall see...

Parasaurolophus

Family in Hawai'i, family on the east coast, and friends/family in the southwest.

Oof.
I know it's a genus.

polly_mer

We will pilgrimage to grandparents who are still with us this year.  Everyone has fingers crossed that we don't have an unexpected all-day layover this year in an emergency stop airport between cities that are about an hourlong, non-stop flight apart per the normal, daily flights.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

nescafe

I'm a bit anxious about this year. I lost my brother in a horrible car accident earlier this semester, and have been on leave. I return to campus in January and honestly, I'm still not certain I'm up to the task.

For the holiday, I'll spend it with my parents, the first time I've done so since childhood (this is largely connected to my brother's loss, as his birthday falls in December, too). I'm taking all the necessary precautions one does when you have problematic family members (I have a hotel, a rental car, and a short turnaround flight) but something is compelling me to spend this year's holiday with my mom. After that, I have a mini-retreat in the mountains planned with the spouse.

RatGuy

For the last three years we've had WolfpackCon -- a 12-hour board gaming session held at a local coffee shop. It was started by a former resident and board game designer who now works in Los Angeles. He visits family for Christmas, then organizes a marathon gaming session for the game group he started years ago (The Wolfpack). I'm hoping that some truly epic stuff hits the table that day.

pepsi_alum

I'm spending next week working on my own writing/research projects, one week with my family in another state, and the three weeks of January teaching an in-person winter session class for three hours a day. I normally dislike winter session classes, but the money was too tempting to pass up.

Cheerful

Quote from: nescafe on December 09, 2019, 06:55:14 AM
I'm a bit anxious about this year. I lost my brother in a horrible car accident earlier this semester, and have been on leave. I return to campus in January and honestly, I'm still not certain I'm up to the task.

For the holiday, I'll spend it with my parents, the first time I've done so since childhood (this is largely connected to my brother's loss, as his birthday falls in December, too). I'm taking all the necessary precautions one does when you have problematic family members (I have a hotel, a rental car, and a short turnaround flight) but something is compelling me to spend this year's holiday with my mom. After that, I have a mini-retreat in the mountains planned with the spouse.

Wishing you strength, comfort, and peace, nescafe.

secundem_artem

12 hour drive to visit my brothers over Christmas. Then fly down to my fieldwork site for a week where it's warm and sunny and the beer is cold.  Collect some data, do some writing, one day's fishing.  Then back to Artem U and try slap my syllabi together before the Asst Dean in charge of paper clips starts making threatening noises that they were due 3 weeks ago. The college loads all exams, tests and due dates onto a student master calendar so the little darlin's don't have 2 tests in the same week.

Ain't it fun working at a private, tuition driven place that got a C on that federal database thingy for financial solvency??
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

backatit

Quote from: RatGuy on December 09, 2019, 12:52:41 PM
For the last three years we've had WolfpackCon -- a 12-hour board gaming session held at a local coffee shop. It was started by a former resident and board game designer who now works in Los Angeles. He visits family for Christmas, then organizes a marathon gaming session for the game group he started years ago (The Wolfpack). I'm hoping that some truly epic stuff hits the table that day.

That sounds like an awesome time!