News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Winter Break plans 2019

Started by clean, December 04, 2019, 12:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backatit

Quote from: nescafe on December 09, 2019, 06:55:14 AM
I'm a bit anxious about this year. I lost my brother in a horrible car accident earlier this semester, and have been on leave. I return to campus in January and honestly, I'm still not certain I'm up to the task.

For the holiday, I'll spend it with my parents, the first time I've done so since childhood (this is largely connected to my brother's loss, as his birthday falls in December, too). I'm taking all the necessary precautions one does when you have problematic family members (I have a hotel, a rental car, and a short turnaround flight) but something is compelling me to spend this year's holiday with my mom. After that, I have a mini-retreat in the mountains planned with the spouse.

Nescafe, wishing peaceful family vibes to you. I hope everything goes smoothly. Short visits are good; less time for people to get on each other's nerves.

Tee_Bee

I am trying doing something different for the break this year: Nothing. I will bring my computer with me on our trip to visit the in-laws in the Midwest. It may never come out of my bag, but, if it does, it will be for Netflix, or to find my mom's old cookie recipes. But if I do nothing more than read bad books, watch some Netflix, and make it to the gym a few times, it will be a resounding success.

brixton

Spending the month in Guangzhou Province....

Bede the Vulnerable

Mrs. Bede and I are leaving for Paris on Christmas Day, since the flights are so cheap.  Returning after the New Year, and spending a few days with my best friend and his husband in New York. 

Oh, and stressing about my manuscript the entire time, since it's due at the press on February 1.
Of making many books there is no end;
And much study is a weariness of the flesh.

mamselle

Quote from: Bede the Vulnerable on December 13, 2019, 05:51:48 AM
Mrs. Bede and I are leaving for Paris on Christmas Day, since the flights are so cheap.  Returning after the New Year, and spending a few days with my best friend and his husband in New York. 

Oh, and stressing about my manuscript the entire time, since it's due at the press on February 1.

Ummm.....strikes.

I'm having to rethink my whole research trip there, it's looking serious.

(If we both make it, though, maybe we can meet up!)

Bonne chance...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

scamp

Quote from: Tee_Bee on December 12, 2019, 01:44:17 PM
I am trying doing something different for the break this year: Nothing. I will bring my computer with me on our trip to visit the in-laws in the Midwest. It may never come out of my bag, but, if it does, it will be for Netflix, or to find my mom's old cookie recipes. But if I do nothing more than read bad books, watch some Netflix, and make it to the gym a few times, it will be a resounding success.

Tee_Bee! It's been a while since we have seen you round these parts!

mamselle

I was thinking that, too!

Glad to see both of you, in fact!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

I have made it to my parents' house.  It has been a lot of political TV (with the current events, it does not mean that they are obsessed with the politics, but that much of the TV available is covering it).
My parents are trying to finish up the Christmas preparations.
I am waiting for the car to be free for me to finish my shopping and preparations. 
Otherwise, I have pretty much just sat in a chair with a laptop. It takes a day to recover from the air travel.  It rained much of yesterday and today, while it looks nice, it is a bit cool and otherwise, Im trying to be helpful, but out of the way.
I dont know when my brother's family will arrive. I know that the newest addition is five months old, and will not be here until the 27th. As such, the big events are delayed until the 28th.  No problems with that for me, though. I am being asked for a list of demands/desires.  However, I dont have any.  I can not think of anything that I particularly need or want.  (I want to lose weight, but im not sure how to wrap willpower!)
In the next day or so, I would like to get some cooking done. I want to prepare a few lasagnas in small pans (roughly 8x8 size) so that my parents will have some available in the freezer when they dont feel like cooking or so that they will have some ready for when they take the camper (motorhome) out on one of they vacations. 
This year, I m not planning to do too much sweet cooking. I usually make a lot of things but frankly, Im not the only one that could stand to lose weight.  I m most concerned with my niece who is 16 and I fear pre-diabetic.  I fear that she eats simply because something is there. In the past, among other things, I would give my niece and nephew a box of Whitman's Samplers for Christmas (as i know that I would have really enjoyed it when I was a youngin!)  Now, I dont think that is a good idea.
So how are your break plans working out?
Is your shopping done? 
Any cooking plans?
Any movie plans?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

ab_grp

We had a busy stretch with 15yo's final exams and oldest daughter coming to visit, figuring out vegetarian and vegan food that would suite various palates.  Work was busy as well, trying to wrap up for the year (for the most part).  Now I have a day or two to get some shopping and cards done, and then 15yo is back with us briefly.  We are doing Christmas Eve with her and my parents in law, and then we will have a week and a half to ourselves.  I'm glad to have this day or two to recharge a bit! We are just doing lasagnas on Christmas Eve to keep it simple, though I will probably make some bread on Monday to go with it.  I think we will try to make leg of lamb on Christmas Day.  The past year has been a blur, so I'm looking forward to dialing it down a bit.  We are hoping to get to see Knives Out at some point and watch my school's bowl game.  Not too many other plans besides cleaning, filing, paperwork, reading some books, and working on a few hobbies.