News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Best time of week to hold meetings

Started by newprof, January 25, 2020, 08:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newprof

Hi everyone. I'm a few months into my first position and I now have students under my supervision. I like the idea of blocking off time each week where I can hold meetings relating to this. I know the timing naturally depends on teaching and service commitments, but as a rule do you have any specific part of the week you prefer to cordon off in this way?

Ruralguy

You certainly do want to have regular meeting times with people under your supervision.

In my experience, something like Thursday afternoon, or Friday for the non partiers works.
Obviously that will depend on your specific schedule and theirs.

Caracal

Quote from: newprof on January 25, 2020, 08:01:09 AM
Hi everyone. I'm a few months into my first position and I now have students under my supervision. I like the idea of blocking off time each week where I can hold meetings relating to this. I know the timing naturally depends on teaching and service commitments, but as a rule do you have any specific part of the week you prefer to cordon off in this way?

Might be different for grad students, but I've found that it is always a good idea to meet with undergrads at times when I'm going to be in my office anyway. No separate trips and if I get stood up, I don't feel personally invested.

polly_mer

Caracal has a good point about planning the meetings for what works with your schedule and will not be a separate trip.

You may also want to consider your own energy.  I love working during Friday afternoon in the quiet when nearly everyone else is gone and will pack a lot of meetings on Monday to preserve my big block of working time late in the week.

If you're thinking of group meetings, then I have had good experiences with Tuesday/Wednesday lunches.  Everyone gets in the habit of coming and bringing their own lunch to watch the one presentation or to have the group discussion.  Thursday at 1500 with snacks has also been productive.

If you're thinking of a series of individual meetings, then I would sprinkle those through my week at times that work for each student, while still keeping my Friday afternoon for my deep dive into my own work.  Having 15-20 minute meetings back to back to back to ... makes me too emotionally tired and was definitely unfair to the students who came third or later, unlike spreading the meetings out during the week.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!