News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2020 New Job Cohort

Started by polly_mer, March 26, 2020, 05:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Chat here about your new job that starts in 2020.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

I may develop more online teaching and tutoring offerings to complement the private music teaching and occasional tutoring that I've always done.

I'm just formulating how to structure that now, but it feels like something worth working on for the long haul.

Although I like face-to-face teaching a lot, some of my work (especially more advanced studies in the liturgical arts) may only be of interest to a few folks in more wide-spread areas.

I've occassionally thought about this in the past, and idly considered how I'd do it, but Zooming my music lessons is helping me see how it could actually happen.

So...entrepreneurial teaching may be a new avenue to follow!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

seym8842

I'll be starting a tenure-track faculty position at an R1 in August 2020!

I am planning the most immediate needs for equipment purchases using my startup funding, as well as charting out general milestones and grant submissions in year 1. I guess I should probably start backward in terms of tenure review and go from there.

Does anyone have a recommendations for tools, such as Individual Development Plans, to help plan faculty trajectories and benchmarks?

mamselle

There are people (I've heard of them, don't know any myself) who do career counseling at the level of advisement to tenure-track faculty.

(There might have been someone on the old forum who mentioned this, or maybe I heard of it from friends or acquaintances in conversation somewhere.)

Might be worth a Google or two to see if you can turn up anyone, it wouldn't even need to be someone nearby (in fact, now, it wouldn't matter if they were!)

I remember now, the person I heard of did work with people in a very specific humanities fields (liturgical musicology, I think) but might know of others. 

PM me if you think it's useful to find out more.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

eigen

Congratulations!

If you're looking for other sources of support and information, I would (for now) check out Future PI Slack, which is a slack group dedicated to senior grad students/postdocs who are looking for jobs or in the transition phase.

Once you start the new job, you can join New PI Slack, which is for pretenure faculty.

Both are amazing and mostly confidential places to get advice and help from other people in very similar situations around the world. If you want more details, please PM.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

seym8842

Thanks so much for offering these resources!

I can't be the only one who will be changing jobs during the coronavirus, but I wonder what your impressions are of an efficient move across the country in the summer, given that the pandemic will still be going on?

mamselle

Yikes, sounds like you might have to load and drive the van yourself, stopping only at rest stops where there are empty parking spaces for every other vehicle....

M.