News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Academic Tweeting

Started by downer, July 08, 2019, 04:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocBones

I came across this today which some might find helpful regarding tips and tricks for Science Twitter. Should be applicable to other disciplines too.

https://blogs.plos.org/scicomm/2020/04/15/tips-on-using-science-twitter-during-covid-19/

Bbmaj7b5

I have a "professional" account where I talk about conferences, news from the research group, show looping GIFs of our experiments, etc. I don't use my name in the title, but it's a reference to what I do and to the university.

I have another one under my own name that is disclaimered up one side and down the other. That one is very different.

Dismal

I tweet for a lab rather than under my own name, but this limits me because the persona of our lab account doesn't involve liking cat pictures or make any funny comments or retweeting anything political or celebrity related.  So I just tweet and retweet about interesting new research studies and promote the work of students in the lab.  Actually this twitter account is most useful to me because the new studies I tweet about are the ones I would like to study again in more detail and so they basically are stored right there in the lab account.

Right now there is so much COVID posts in my feed that I don't feel like my account has anything to contribute to so I haven't been tweeting much in the last month or so.  A student in our group has been tweeting about a paper rejection and some fellowship rejections and all the food she is eating while by herself in isolation.   My account doesn't post about food either.