Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Yale Law Prof Suspended

Started by dr_codex, August 26, 2020, 05:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_codex

back to the books.

Parasaurolophus

Worthy of note: he's married to Amy Chua, of "tiger mom" fame. That's noteworthy because Chua is the one who told young women she was steering Kavanaugh's way that the judge liked his female clerks to dress a particular way. She then steered her own daughter into a clerkship for him.

(Some of that gets reported at the bottom of the article.)

I suspect the whole family has trouble understanding sexual harassment.
I know it's a genus.

Hibush

Even though this report calls the YLS email to faculty "terse" it is more forthcoming than what I am used to seeing. Here the faculty wold be left to think "haven't seen anything about Rubenfeld recently, that's not like him. Oh, I guess he must have retired."

kaysixteen

Time to hope that both Rubenfeld and Chua go away and drop into the same black hole as Falwell Jr.   Chua's 'tiger mom' philosophy ought to sicken one.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: kaysixteen on August 26, 2020, 08:23:26 PM
Chua's 'tiger mom' philosophy ought to sicken one.

I agree, with the caveat that it's not philosophy. Maybe a doctrine or an ideology, but no more than that.
I know it's a genus.

Diogenes

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 26, 2020, 10:19:06 PM
Chua's 'tiger mom' philosophy ought to sicken one.

I agree, with the caveat that it's not philosophy. Maybe a doctrine or an ideology, but no more than that.

And it goes completely against 80 years of developmental psychology science and theory. So it's also unsupported and anti-science.

ciao_yall

Time to hope that both Rubenfeld and Chua go away and drop into the same black hole as Falwell Jr.   Chua's 'tiger mom' philosophy ought to sicken one.

Agreed. Chua was nuts. And then she wrote a book telling the world how b@tsh!t crazy she was. Is.

financeguy

The thing about Chu and those like her who are nuts is that there is no convincing them of the absurdity of their behavior when they have gotten the desired result. Her daughter got into Harvard = validation of whatever she did. As in finance, you don't see the outcomes that didn't occur. An investor who did something ill advised which fails drastically 60% of the time believes themselves to have been "right" by virtue of their experience being only one sample.

If (theoretically of course) Chua's parenting style were to average out 90 Ivy league graduates and 10 mass shooters, no one would consider that a positive set of odds, but since she will only see the result of one or two "runs" her perception is likely to be one of "success."

If the allegations are true (and I will NOT believe this unless evidence proves it to be so) I can't say I'm surprised that Chua would put up with it. Women divorce money because a judge can give half, but they will allow themselves to be treated like complete excrement if they believe that leaving would lower their social status since a judge in a family court can't award this to them. Based on the book she is obviously much more motivated by status than most people.  It would support the downside of treating everyone in your life as a potential trophy. It's actually one of the rare pieces of schadenfreude that I'll allow myself when I see a "do you know who my husband is" type of woman forced to stand behind him in the press conference while admitting to the hooker, intern, etc.