Student targetting faculty posts on social media

Started by Morris Zapp, August 13, 2020, 10:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dismal

Linkedin is a professional networking site so it makes sense that some students might want to connect with their profs there. 

On FB I only use first and middle name because it's not a professional forum for me - I mostly keep in touch with relatives and a few friends with just a few friendly colleagues.  I try not to post on FB on public threads as I don't like how that all appears on my feed for all my friends to see.  I have a few friends who have all their posts set to public and I don't know why they do that but I don't "like" or interact them when I see that globe symbol. In fact that is why I removed my last name and made my affiliation private because I had been accidentally engaging with public posts. 

Just this week one of my FB friends posted  on a private company's public thread about how she liked a new product for smelly crotches.  TMI - her 250 friends didn't need to know this.
I do sometimes rant a bit in the newspaper comment section under my own initial and last name on topics related to my field and I spend some time thinking of what to post assuming my identity is public ( but probably few people would notice.)

I sgree with some others above that the best privacy option is to post in forums with limited access or just post less.  Some people don't seem to understand the settings.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: writingprof on August 20, 2020, 01:42:28 PM
OP, if your posts are progressive, you have nothing to fear.  If they're conservative, nothing can save you.

Hyperbole and distortion just make the implicit case against one's own dogma.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

Stop giving them a target.