A professor admits she faked her racial identity

Started by bacardiandlime, September 03, 2020, 03:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

secundem_artem

I wonder if she could do one of those 23 & Me genetic profile tests and perhaps demonstrate some ancestry from whatever part of the world she says she's from this week.

Problem solved.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Diogenes

Quote from: financeguy on September 11, 2020, 12:30:14 PM
and Hispanics have just given Trump a lead in FL of all places

That's likely the Cuban American voting block, which has fairly consistently voted Republican.

financeguy

I don't doubt that at all, just still surprising since Hilary got so much more. I do sense an anecdotal backlash from the non-black minorities I have spoken to. We shouldn't necessarily assume the views of all groups who are not black or white will react similarly to the same things.

Hibush

Quote from: financeguy on September 11, 2020, 04:33:25 PM
lol...love the article's close. In general though I don't think it's a good idea to get super political from the right or left on a date. The key phrase in this situation the guy used is "getting a lecture" which no one really wants.
They are piling on a bit, but amusing nonetheless.
Isn't there some warning on Tinder that if you don't want a lecture, avoid college professors?

Descartes

I wonder how much the self-hating in these incidents comes from the movement to make whites ashamed of their identity and all other races "proud."

On the old fora, in the post-election 2016 thread, someone told a story about a child who told a teacher "I don't have a culture; I'm white" and pointed to that as a reason for white grievance.

I don't want to make this too simplistic and claim "BLM/other movements=bad" because they may make white people feel bad about themselves.

At the same time, as funny as the Jessica Krug's of the world are, I really think there is some internalizing of hate towards your own race that creates these situations.

Would anyone here feel comfortable saying "I'm proud to be white?"  Why not?  Why does that get labeled as something only a white supremecist would say?  Shouldn't blacks be proud to be black, Asians be proud to be Asian, and whites be proud to be white?

dismalist

Quote from: Descartes on September 12, 2020, 01:43:03 PM
I wonder how much the self-hating in these incidents comes from the movement to make whites ashamed of their identity and all other races "proud."

On the old fora, in the post-election 2016 thread, someone told a story about a child who told a teacher "I don't have a culture; I'm white" and pointed to that as a reason for white grievance.

I don't want to make this too simplistic and claim "BLM/other movements=bad" because they may make white people feel bad about themselves.

At the same time, as funny as the Jessica Krug's of the world are, I really think there is some internalizing of hate towards your own race that creates these situations.

Would anyone here feel comfortable saying "I'm proud to be white?"  Why not?  Why does that get labeled as something only a white supremecist would say?  Shouldn't blacks be proud to be black, Asians be proud to be Asian, and whites be proud to be white?

Can't be proud of something you haven't accomplished yourself. Skin color is inherited; no one has done anything to obtain it.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on September 12, 2020, 02:26:59 PM
Can't be proud of something you haven't accomplished yourself. Skin color is inherited; no one has done anything to obtain it.

That didn't stop James Brown.

Can you be proud of a cool sweater that someone gave you? Can you be proud because your wife is beautiful and smart? And to be really gauche, can you be proud of your white privilege? I would say if other people are applauding you, you're getting away with it.

The serious answer of course is no, you can't be proud of being white unless you express it as Scottish-American pride, Scandinavian-American pride, etc. 'White pride' means 'we enslaved you and we think it's cool.' And this is the pitch of people like Richard Spencer: the white man has lost his identity, and needs to act to restore it. Why should we be surprised that someone says that?

writingprof

Would anyone here feel comfortable saying "I'm proud to be white?" 

I'm proud to be white.

I disagree.  I have obtained my present state of whiteness by avoiding the outdoors, sunlight, tanning beds, beaches, fluorescent bulbs, jazz music, Ta Nehisi Coates, and the local Housing and Urban Development office.  Don't say it wasn't work.

dismalist

Quote from: writingprof on September 12, 2020, 05:09:24 PM
Would anyone here feel comfortable saying "I'm proud to be white?" 

I'm proud to be white.

I disagree.  I have obtained my present state of whiteness by avoiding the outdoors, sunlight, tanning beds, beaches, fluorescent bulbs, jazz music, Ta Nehisi Coates, and the local Housing and Urban Development office.  Don't say it wasn't work.

It's hard to be a woman white. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2KP9fYZUWA
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli