News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Will there be a Spring Break at Your place?

Started by clean, September 25, 2020, 03:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

Recently, articles have surfaced about schools cancelling spring break.  My campus is not likely to be able to make a decision, as the 'main campus'/mothership/System will be the final decision maker.  However, elements of campus are exploring and preparing for the cancelation of Spring Break.

While I would argue that we should start on time, and simply finish earlier, the registrar and other universities seem to be going the route to delay the start a week and finish at the original time. 

One issue in the meeting (dominated by staff) was how the spring break cancellation would effect the 2 days off that are scheduled the last 2 days of Spring Break. 

SO>>> Has YOUR campus made a decision?  What is your preference (not that faculty have much/any influence)?

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Vkw10

We didn't alter the fall schedule and have no plans to alter spring schedule. Most of campus is closed for a week under the guise of energy conservation, and staff have been earning comp time since the week isn't a paid holiday.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

fourhats

No spring break for us. Starting later, and ending around the usual time.

dr_codex

Still up in the air, but almost impossible I would think. The majority of our students need time in the summer for their licensure, and almost all of them are now behind. We'll need every summer day that we can shave.

If Covid means no in-person summer school in 2021, we're going to need a major rethink of how we do everything.
back to the books.

aside

No Spring Break here either, also starting a week late and ending about the usual time.  MLK will be honored.

Sun_Worshiper

Nothing communicated to faculty yet, but my guess is no spring break.

secundem_artem

Artem U has decided spring starts in January and scheduled our break accordingly.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Harlow2

Apparently not for us either as of the end of this past week.

Caracal

It is still on the calendar. In theory, where I teach is starting in person classes this week. In practice, it seems like most of us could just decide whether we wanted to continue online. I'll be curious to see how many students actually end up at campus either in the Fall or the Spring. Outside of certain programs where an in person element is crucial, I don't think there are going to be that many students actually taking classes meeting in person. The overall enrollments are actually at record levels, but there are lots of commuters anyway, and I'm just not sure that many students are going to want to come back to campus to take online courses.

So, I don't know, spring break may not be much of an issue. I hope we can still have it. I'd like to have the option of visiting family we haven't seen since last Spring Break if things have improved sufficiently. If they haven't, it would still be nice to have a week off.

the_geneticist

We're on quarters here so our Spring Break is between Winter and Spring terms.  As of now, it's on the calendar.

bio-nonymous

EdnaMode

It's still on our official calendar, but many of the other institutions in our area have already canceled it. I think chances are good we will too.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

wareagle

All we know at the moment is that we will have a spring semester.  No info on course modality, spring break, nothing.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

sprout

Quote from: the_geneticist on September 28, 2020, 08:40:47 AM
We're on quarters here so our Spring Break is between Winter and Spring terms.  As of now, it's on the calendar.

Same.  That break between terms is necessary to get the new classes ready.