News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Admit it, you drink during Faculty meetings

Started by Morris Zapp, November 20, 2020, 12:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ_Katz

Quote from: lightning on November 20, 2020, 08:25:59 PM
I never actually thought about getting sloshed during a Zoom meeting. Thanks for the great idea. It will keep me from making enemies.

For me, it's the opposite.

mahagonny

Quote from: AJ_Katz on November 23, 2020, 12:32:25 PM
I never actually thought about getting sloshed during a Zoom meeting. Thanks for the great idea. It will keep me from making enemies.

I feel the same way as Prof Katz. Loose lips sink ships.

Dr_Badger

I had a pretty rigorous research meeting with a co-editor this past Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, and by the time the meeting started I had gotten a little too intense about the arrangement of a book manuscript. I added some Bailey's to my coffee so that maybe I would relax about the outline. About halfway through the meeting, I realized that I was pretty buzzed. I think I got even more passionate about the outline.

Juvenal

Quote from: mahagonny on November 23, 2020, 12:41:35 PM
Quote from: AJ_Katz on November 23, 2020, 12:32:25 PM

I feel the same way as Prof Katz. Loose lips sink ships.

Although maybe some of those churning around the department meeting might deserve a little sinking.
Cranky septuagenarian

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Dr_Badger on November 28, 2020, 06:56:35 PM
I had a pretty rigorous research meeting with a co-editor this past Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, and by the time the meeting started I had gotten a little too intense about the arrangement of a book manuscript. I added some Bailey's to my coffee so that maybe I would relax about the outline. About halfway through the meeting, I realized that I was pretty buzzed. I think I got even more passionate about the outline.

Drinking with coauthors is another matter. This, I do (did this prior to covid as well).

Kron3007

Quote from: dr_codex on November 21, 2020, 12:55:51 PM
Quote from: Ruralguy on November 21, 2020, 11:32:38 AM
Our current Dean *served* drinks when they were in person!
(Not all faculty were really please about this, especially since
students saw that. I suppose I'm neutral on it).

I definitely don't care if anyone does it privately during a Zoom meeting,
but should probably avoid if you intend to speak.

We used to get drinks served after meetings. In fact, somewhere there are minutes in which it was recorded that "the Faculty will work for beer."

We have had some faculty meetings where we had wine after.  These have usually been the last meeting before christmas, and I dont think everyone approved.  I did...

AvidReader

A distant acquaintance told me that when he was first hired by a university (~15 years ago), the university served beer and had a chocolate fountain at faculty meetings. Apparently this practice ended not long afterwards.

AR.