News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Admit it, you drink during Faculty meetings

Started by Morris Zapp, November 20, 2020, 12:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morris Zapp

All of ours have been on Zoom and I realized later that there was something a bit 'off' about the meeting.  Way too much enthusiasm for curricular innovation.  Been wondering how many of my fellow faculty members were actually sloshed.  I generally have a glass of wine before the meeting so my boss doesn't annoy me so much.  Am I the only one?

the_geneticist

Quote from: Morris Zapp on November 20, 2020, 12:37:02 PM
All of ours have been on Zoom and I realized later that there was something a bit 'off' about the meeting.  Way too much enthusiasm for curricular innovation.  Been wondering how many of my fellow faculty members were actually sloshed.  I generally have a glass of wine before the meeting so my boss doesn't annoy me so much.  Am I the only one?

Our meetings are in the mornings so a glass of wine isn't an option.  I do often have a large mug of tea so I can sip it and look detached instead of making disapproving faces.

San Joaquin

There's probably a market for masks with one's own attentive face on them for such occasions.  :-)

sprout

Quote from: the_geneticist on November 20, 2020, 12:52:49 PM

Our meetings are in the mornings so a glass of wine isn't an option.  I do often have a large mug of tea so I can sip it and look detached instead of making disapproving faces.

Bailey's goes very well in coffee.  Probably tea, too.

eigen

I mean, it's definitely an option.

My question is, what makes you think I wasn't drinking when faculty meetings were in person? Everything looks the same inside a sealed coffee mug...... Coffee stouts even smell like iced coffee.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

hmaria1609

eigen

Quote from: hmaria1609 on November 20, 2020, 02:09:55 PM
Whisky blended into tea.  I've had that!

Or not even blended. It turns out that whiskey is a very similar color to tea!
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

writingprof

Our meetings are in the mornings so a glass of wine isn't an option. 

Like others on this thread, I literally don't understand the meaning of these words.

Stockmann

At my previous employer, some absinthe would've been a good way to wash down the bitter taste. But even at my present employer, in a zoom departmental meeting I'd be very tempted to drink some liquor speakeasy style (in a coffee cup) or at least add something to my coffee.

lightning

I never actually thought about getting sloshed during a Zoom meeting. Thanks for the great idea. It will keep me from making enemies.

sinenomine

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Volhiker78

My drink for boring Zoom meetings is bourbon and coke.  Mute and turn off the camera and I'm good to go!

Sun_Worshiper

It has occurred to me that I could drink through afternoon meetings, but I haven't actually done so yet.

Ruralguy

Our current Dean *served* drinks when they were in person!
(Not all faculty were really please about this, especially since
students saw that. I suppose I'm neutral on it).

I definitely don't care if anyone does it privately during a Zoom meeting,
but should probably avoid if you intend to speak.

dr_codex

Quote from: Ruralguy on November 21, 2020, 11:32:38 AM
Our current Dean *served* drinks when they were in person!
(Not all faculty were really please about this, especially since
students saw that. I suppose I'm neutral on it).

I definitely don't care if anyone does it privately during a Zoom meeting,
but should probably avoid if you intend to speak.

We used to get drinks served after meetings. In fact, somewhere there are minutes in which it was recorded that "the Faculty will work for beer."
back to the books.