Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

When are you going to get a Flu Shot?

Started by clean, September 18, 2020, 08:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

Quote from: wareagle on October 14, 2020, 11:50:06 AM
Now you're making me feel guilty.

I've never gotten a flu shot.  I've also never gotten the flu.  Our on-campus flu-shot clinic was yesterday, and as per my usual practice, I didn't bother.

But I can get one at Walmart, CVS, or any one of a dozen other places if the guilts get the better of me.

Probably not.

I used to be like you, but I've come to understand that it is a public health duty -- even if you only get a mild case, you could spread it to others who are at risk for serious complications (just like COVID), and this year it is particularly important to try to keep the flu rate down so hospitals don't get overwhelmed.

It's a very thin needle, hardly hurts at all. Covered by all insurance. Just do it!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Heathcliff

Some places are hosting outdoors vaccine clinics due to Covid.  I got my shot in a drive-in tent while sitting in my car.

AmLitHist

I had to pick up a prescription at WalMart yesterday afternoon, so ALHS and I got our flu shots then.  Daughter #2 got hers at CVS Thursday morning (literally the first time she's left the house since mid-March).

jimbogumbo

Just completed the my vaccination marathon, adding the TDaP to flu, Shingrix and pneumonia done earlier this month.

I am now immune (jk).

evil_physics_witchcraft

downer

According to the CDC, 'Seasonal influenza activity in the United States remains lower than usual for this time of year." "Nationwide during week 49, 1.6% of patient visits reported through ILINet were due to ILI. This percentage is below the national baseline of 2.6%."

This is no surprise. Indeed, I wonder what the absolute numbers are, because I suspect that patient visits this year are a lot fewer than patient visits last year. I expect that the number of people getting their annual physical is also way down -- I haven't done mine yet.

There were dire warnings about the conjunction of COVID and flu back in early fall. Has anyone heard any follow up on this? Do we know any more?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Parasaurolophus

We tried a couple times, but they were out. We'll try again next week, but I think it's futile.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

We got ours yesterday, finally. The pharmacy was all out (they've all been out for months), save for a few doses they'd saved specifically for couples brooding.
I know it's a genus.

Caracal

Quote from: downer on December 12, 2020, 04:07:15 PM
According to the CDC, 'Seasonal influenza activity in the United States remains lower than usual for this time of year." "Nationwide during week 49, 1.6% of patient visits reported through ILINet were due to ILI. This percentage is below the national baseline of 2.6%."

This is no surprise. Indeed, I wonder what the absolute numbers are, because I suspect that patient visits this year are a lot fewer than patient visits last year. I expect that the number of people getting their annual physical is also way down -- I haven't done mine yet.

There were dire warnings about the conjunction of COVID and flu back in early fall. Has anyone heard any follow up on this? Do we know any more?

Seems pretty clear that the distancing because of COVID has led to dramatically less flu. Covid is quite a bit more contagious than the flu, so it makes sense.