News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

On bringing grants from former employer

Started by born_a_prof, June 20, 2019, 11:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

born_a_prof

I am transitioning into an engineering TT position at an R1 from a senior scientist positions at an industrial lab. My lab wants to provide some funding for my research for next couple of years to allow me to stay (somewhat, obviously at much less effort level) involved in the the several ongoing projects I was leading in the lab.

I was wondering how this will be perceived generally in the department. Would they encourage it (hey, it will be a non-trivial external grant and brings $$ to department), or would they be suspicious that I am still doing my former employer's work ?

Any ideas ? Should I ask this to some senior faculty members ?

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: born_a_prof on June 20, 2019, 11:32:46 AM
I am transitioning into an engineering TT position at an R1 from a senior scientist positions at an industrial lab. My lab wants to provide some funding for my research for next couple of years to allow me to stay (somewhat, obviously at much less effort level) involved in the the several ongoing projects I was leading in the lab.

I was wondering how this will be perceived generally in the department. Would they encourage it (hey, it will be a non-trivial external grant and brings $$ to department), or would they be suspicious that I am still doing my former employer's work ?

Any ideas ? Should I ask this to some senior faculty members ?

I would assume, so long as your university gets its cut (overhead), they will have no problem whatsoever with this, assuming you can freely publish your research results. Perhaps it would be in the form of a contract rather than a grant? Contracts can be tricky, with lawyers being involved on both sides; I have had rotten luck as an academic at a university trying to get contracts to work with private industry, but since you are coming from the company that would be funding you, perhaps this would be less of a problem.
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay