News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Best Office Purchases

Started by eigen, June 20, 2019, 05:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antiphon1

Hands down the best purchases for my office have been an osscillating fan and a  Bose speaker.  I hate a stuffy office and crappy sound equipment. 

happylittletrees

My best office purchase was my standing desk. I have one of the motorized ones, so it's really easy to raise and lower my desk. That desk is followed closely by a multi-adjustable, ergonomic chair.
Talk to the tree; make friends with it.
-Bob Ross
Maybe in our world there lives a happy little tree over there.
-Bob Ross

Kron3007

This thread reminds me that I need to step up my office game.  I have been in my office for 5 years and it is just about as drab and institutional as the day I moved in....

I did get a magnetic white board and an espresso machine, which are both awesome, but my office is quite Stark.

drbrt

Quote from: Kron3007 on June 25, 2019, 09:59:12 AM
This thread reminds me that I need to step up my office game.  I have been in my office for 5 years and it is just about as drab and institutional as the day I moved in....

I did get a magnetic white board and an espresso machine, which are both awesome, but my office is quite Stark.
I've been waiting for tenure to step up my office game. I'm the only TT woman in the department.

Biologist_

Quote from: happylittletrees on June 23, 2019, 07:24:51 PM
My best office purchase was my standing desk. I have one of the motorized ones, so it's really easy to raise and lower my desk. That desk is followed closely by a multi-adjustable, ergonomic chair.

Me too. The sit-to-stand desk is great when I'm in in my office for long stretches. The chair is all mesh, so it doesn't trap sweat and make my butt stink like my old one did.

The fan and microwave oven are also essential.

polly_mer

Quote from: Biologist_ on June 25, 2019, 12:35:12 PM
Quote from: happylittletrees on June 23, 2019, 07:24:51 PM

Me too. The sit-to-stand desk is great when I'm in in my office for long stretches. The chair is all mesh, so it doesn't trap sweat and make my butt stink like my old one did.

I have a very stark office, but I love my motorized, adjustable desks with a great ergo chair.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Kron3007

Quote from: drbrt on June 25, 2019, 10:17:12 AM

I've been waiting for tenure to step up my office game. I'm the only TT woman in the department.

Yeah, I just got tenure so I have no excuse now.

I do have some pretty solid office plants, so I guess I have something, but something on the walls would be good I think.

drbrt

Quote from: Kron3007 on June 26, 2019, 05:52:33 AM
Quote from: drbrt on June 25, 2019, 10:17:12 AM

Yeah, I just got tenure so I have no excuse now.

I do have some pretty solid office plants, so I guess I have something, but something on the walls would be good I think.
I have the condolence plant we get for family deaths, but I really need to step up my plant game too. I had a watermelon peperomia in there but it did not like my office. I think maybe a wandering jew or a bloodleaf for some color. I don't really get direct sun so a lot of the fancier plants are out.

AvidReader

Quote from: drbrt on June 26, 2019, 06:42:52 AM
I have the condolence plant we get for family deaths, but I really need to step up my plant game too. I had a watermelon peperomia in there but it did not like my office. I think maybe a wandering jew or a bloodleaf for some color. I don't really get direct sun so a lot of the fancier plants are out.

The administrator of the adjunct office at one of my jobs has an interior office (no sunlight at all) and the most amazing selection of plants I have ever seen. She has an African violet that is easily 2' wide and flowers almost all year. She says the plants grow because she talks to them.

My (at-home) African violet is 4" wide and hasn't flowered in 3 years.

AR.

drbrt

Quote from: AvidReader on June 26, 2019, 08:07:19 AM
Quote from: drbrt on June 26, 2019, 06:42:52 AM

The administrator of the adjunct office at one of my jobs has an interior office (no sunlight at all) and the most amazing selection of plants I have ever seen. She has an African violet that is easily 2' wide and flowers almost all year. She says the plants grow because she talks to them.

My (at-home) African violet is 4" wide and hasn't flowered in 3 years.

AR.
African violets are hard to keep alive, period, so there's that.

Morden

The Powers That Be in my institution inspect our offices a couple times a year to make sure that we haven't brought in anything dangerous (like plants, or fish, or small appliances). So far my illicit extra bookcase has gone unreported. Gah.

hmaria1609

Here's mine:
Music CDs for listening while working at my desk.  I've got a good pair of headphones too.
Package of various colored Post-it notes
Package of various colored gel ink pens

Yummy drinks and lots of chocolate. After a long drive to the library, it's nice to open a chilled bottle of coffee or tea from the fridge in the morning.

Finally, lots of good books!

drbrt

My favorite thing about my department is that they really get list-making. There is an entire cupboard in the supply closet for post-its and list making supplies, so I don't have to get my own.

Beebee

This super-soft folding chair:
https://www.target.com/p/sherpa-butterfly-chair-cream-with-gray-legs-room-essentials-153/-/A-54284495
It's my writing chair; I like to lean back, put my feet on my regular chair, and write on my laptop. I find it much more calming, and if I need to wake up or use the bigger screen, I can switch to my real desk. I will confess it also served as an excellent venue for resting when I really needed it, specifically during pregnancy or when I came in for class while still recovering from a cold or stomach bug. If someone I need to impress is coming in (so I need to look more professional), it easily folds up and gets hidden behind the door.

Now the rest of my office is a mess. I still need to hang stuff on the walls etc. I just got tenure, so no more excuses.

ragingsquirrel

A superautomatic espresso machine: add beans and water, push a button and it makes a perfect cup of coffee. I have it in the lab and I supply the beans; I have good coffee while working, and my lab is happy and can get their caffeine fix without paying too much for terrible coffee in the cafeteria. More than worth the price of admission.