News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Students emailing for points

Started by nescafe, June 21, 2019, 04:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescafe

We've probably all faced the end-of-semester email or two from students wanting an extra point or 3 on their final grade, usually to bump them from a +letter to a -letter they feel they narrowly missed out on. This quarter, however, I'm getting more of these emails than I've ever received. I'm not totally sure what's prompting them: maybe it's that I'm using a grader, or that I'm new, or that I'm young, female, or whatever else. Maybe it's the normal (or new normal) state of affairs at my institution.

But what is troubling me is how to respond.

How do you all respond to these kinds of email? I am particularly interested in how to respond to students who are not raising legitimate issues about assignments, etc, but rather just asking for a bump because they "need that A-." Do you ignore? Craft a response that acknowledges their frustration while saying no? Break down their entire course record? Ask them to make an appointment with you next semester (and hope they don't follow through)? All strategies appreciated.

drbrt

I generally refer them back to the syllabus. My policy is that I round up to the nearest whole percentage, then assign grades. After that if ignoring doesn't work, I invite them to appeal to my Chair. He's got flaws, but generally backs us on grade appeals.

aside

Yes, have a policy in your syllabus and stick to it.

downer

I submit the grades and tell them that grades are submitted. I say if I have miscalculated their grade they should let me know.

I have a no-extra-credit policy on my syllabus.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Hegemony

Ignoring them is a bit rude, I think.  I'd just say, "I'm sorry, you have [however many] points for the class, so your grade is a [whatever]. Best wishes, Hegemony."  I did have one student who wanted a higher grade this term, and I actually had offered extra credit, which that student did not do.  So I pointed out "That was what the extra credit would have been for.  As it is, you have [however many] points for the class, so your grade is a [whatever]. Best wishes, Hegemony." I haven't had anyone continue to argue after that. 

aside

Quote from: aside on June 21, 2019, 05:30:42 PM
Yes, have a policy in your syllabus and stick to it.

Sorry not to have answered your question directly.

I always respond with a message that reads much like Hegemony's yet drives them back to the syllabus.  If they persist in asking me to just give them a point or two so they can have the next higher grade, I send another standard reply explaining that it would not be fair to other students.  If they send a third e-mail, I tell them that they have my response already and then direct them to the grade appeal process.

I also try to head these things off from the very beginning of the semester.  The first day of class I explain the syllabus policies and tell them not to e-mail me at the end of the semester asking for a higher grade because at that point there is nothing I can do.  I tell them the time to worry about their grade is now, while they have time to do something about it.