News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What "old skills" students have lost

Started by marshwiggle, May 15, 2021, 12:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Given the discussion in another thread about students using letter mail, what are other skills that were taken for granted in previous generations but are now gone?

First example:
Cursive writing.
It takes so little to be above average.

Langue_doc

FishProf

Talking on the phone is increasingly uncommon.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

sinenomine

Using a rotary dial phone. Or a pay phone.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

the_geneticist

Writing anything by hand.  They really, really want to just type.  I can't really blame them - I'd rather read something they've typed.  Some of their handwriting looks like they were writing with their non-dominant hand, while sitting in a bus driving down a gravel road, and kind of drunk. 

lightning

lightning

Here's a lost "old skill":

Counting and giving back the correct change when a customer pays with cash.

clean

writing checks

Drive a stick shift

Program a VCR!!

use DOS

Format their floppy disks!

anything with punch cards  (even SEEN one)!

hell, anymore, they probably can not text on a flip phone!!  (my bride is 10 years younger than I and her iphone was giving her issues so I gave her my 'home' flip phone.  She wasnt really able to use it and was very happy to get her iphone working again!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Parasaurolophus

Dunno what it's called, but using the credit card printing press slider thingummy.

Also, greetings and salutations in written communication.
I know it's a genus.

Charlotte

Riding a horse.
Churning butter.
Milking a cow.
Butchering chickens.
Putting on a corset.
Hitching a wagon.
...the list goes on and on.

Volhiker78

hmaria1609

Great list! Some of these I remember as a kid growing up in the 1990s.

Using a tape player and loading cassettes in them.

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 15, 2021, 05:39:26 PM
Dunno what it's called, but using the credit card printing press slider thingummy.
Hey, I remember seeing this gizmo! Retail stores and restaurants had them back in the day. This portable print press created an impression of the credit card on perforated paper slips.

teach_write_research

Quote from: Charlotte on May 15, 2021, 06:18:50 PM
Riding a horse.
Churning butter.
Milking a cow.
Butchering chickens.
Putting on a corset.
Hitching a wagon.

lol, imprinting cuneiform characters on a clay tablet, beating papyrus into paper pulp, cultivating a terrace farm

I get it. They're young, we're not. Everything was better when we were younger. I mean, 80's alternative music? <chef's kiss> Should we follow this thread with one on how the current power holders (40-60 year olds) can't keep up with modern X or stay current on Y? That said, yeah, I'm also feeling pretty overfull of contact time with traditionally-aged, young adult college student and so very ready for a break.

Stockmann

Quote from: Charlotte on May 15, 2021, 06:18:50 PM
Riding a horse.
Churning butter.
Milking a cow.
Butchering chickens.
Putting on a corset.
Hitching a wagon.

At least a couple of these are less obsolete than using a rotary phone or formatting a floppy disk.

ciao_yall

Giving directions.

Back before GPS I moved from a big city to a small town and people had no idea how to give directions. "Well, um, you know where McDonald's is? Turn at that street." Which McDonald's? Where I'm from there's one on every corner!