A "quadrant" describing funded/not funded and engaged/disengaged faculty?

Started by lalochezia, June 08, 2021, 10:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lalochezia

Has someone seen an image of a "quadrant" describing funded/not funded and engaged/disengaged faculty? If so, can you post a link?

It's kinda like the Do It/Delay It/Delegate it/Dump it "Eisenhower" time management quadrant (see below),

,It describes how faculty are treated if they are funded (or not) or engaged as university citizens (or not).....something like celebrated/tolerated/supported/dismissed.

e.g.
https://jamesclear.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/eisenhower-box.jpg

lightning

Quote from: lalochezia on June 08, 2021, 10:59:29 AM
Has someone seen an image of a "quadrant" describing funded/not funded and engaged/disengaged faculty? If so, can you post a link?

It's kinda like the Do It/Delay It/Delegate it/Dump it "Eisenhower" time management quadrant (see below),

,It describes how faculty are treated if they are funded (or not) or engaged as university citizens (or not).....something like celebrated/tolerated/supported/dismissed.

e.g.

That's quite a leap from the "Eisenhower Box," used for planning, to what you want (an evaluation tool). The former helps to make projections into the future, while the latter analyzes the past. I don't think it maps cleanly. Why don't you just make your own evaluation rubric?

lalochezia

Personally, I wanted it for dark humor, not for evaluations (I'm faculty!).

....but there was a grain of truth in the analysis embedded in the box that I wanted to see expressed by the original author (and if anyone wrote anything more about it).

Caracal

Quote from: lalochezia on June 08, 2021, 10:59:29 AM

e.g.

Not trying to take over the thread, but worth pointing out that the whole construct of funding you're describing really only exists in some of the sciences.

lalochezia

JFC this feels like a faculty meeting

OP: "a simple question! has anyone seen X - i'd like to find it. to remind you: it's looks like Y"?

answer 1: "why are you using X? it's nothing like Y! make your own Z from scratch"

answer 2: "FYI: X only applies to a small subset of things!"

I await other offtopic answers with glee.

Caracal

Quote from: lalochezia on June 09, 2021, 07:32:47 AM

OP: "a simple question! has anyone seen X - i'd like to find it. to remind you: it's looks like Y"?

answer 1: "why are you using X? it's nothing like Y! make your own Z from scratch"

Fair...

RatGuy

Who's gonna pay for this? After all, our grad students are on food stamps!

arcturus

OP - I cannot help with your original query.

However, in regards to the subsequent input, I would like to say (in a loud, uncompromising tone of voice): We should do W. That is how it was done in my graduate program [over 30 years ago]. To do otherwise would be to compromise the quality of our program.

lightning

If your original post were on the agenda of a faculty meeting, I wouldn't have shown up. So you can scratch answer 1 from your hypothetical faculty meeting situation. I look forward to avoiding the rest of your meeting with disdain AND disengagement.

ciao_yall

You could make one pretty easily on PPT or any other graphics design software.

the_geneticist

Engaged               Not Engaged

Funded       New Hire/                   just got tenure
                   big grant awarded

Not Funded
     VAP/Adjunct             "dead wood"

onthefringe

Quote from: the_geneticist on June 10, 2021, 10:52:35 AM

Funded       New Hire/                   just got tenure
                   big grant awarded

Not Funded
     VAP/Adjunct             "dead wood"

or

Funded          New Hire/                   just got tenure/
                         superstar.              future retention concern

Not Funded      the ones who do            "dead wood"
                          all the service and
                          extra teaching to keep
                      the department alive but
                          who will be stuck at
                          associate rank

Wahoo Redux

ENGAGED                                        NOT ENGAGED

NTT lecturer who wants                         Faculty nearing retirement
to feel / behave like a                           Tenured faculty not nearing retirement but
professor                                             who have little children at home

NOT FUNDED                                   NOT ENGAGED & NO ONE CARES

Approximately 60%                             Approximately 60%
of the people who work                        of the people who work
for the department;                             for the department
all are adjuncts                                    as adjuncts;
                                                          40% care WAAAAY too much
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

lightning

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on June 19, 2021, 10:17:18 AM
ENGAGED                                        NOT ENGAGED

NTT lecturer who wants                         Faculty nearing retirement
to feel / behave like a                           Tenured faculty not nearing retirement but
professor                                             who have little children at home

NOT FUNDED                                   NOT ENGAGED & NO ONE CARES

Approximately 60%                             Approximately 60%
of the people who work                        of the people who work
for the department;                             for the department
all are adjuncts                                    as adjuncts;
                                                          40% care WAAAAY too much

Ouch!!

lightning

Engaged                                                Not Engaged

Funded       faculty that do no                               funded/engaged category faculty
                  real teaching or direct                         coming to recent realization that the
                  research because they are                   more money they bring in, the more
                  too busy suffocating under                   the state starves their program
                   sponsored research admin BS              (they look tired and angry)
                   (they look tired)

Not           hired as an admin/staff with tangential,               hired as an admin/staff with a
Funded      negotiated teaching assignment & nebulous        negotiated teaching and
                faculty title; wastes time doing research on           faculty title in the online EdD
                the admin clock, publishing papers                       program or the online HR
                and attending expensive conferences on               program or the degree
                university's bill; pretends to be a 1/1                    completion XXXXX Studies
                faculty; deludes themselves and fools some          program; has large staff to
                 into thinking that their real job duties as an          do their work for them in
                 an admin are faculty "service"                              addition to grading their
                 (happy bunnies livin' the delusion dream, until       online course
                 they realize they will never be TT faculty so they
                  go back to the private sector and write
                  a fashionably angry blog about how much
                  academe sucks)