Central College in Iowa cuts tuition in half

Started by Anselm, September 13, 2019, 06:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anselm

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/education/2019/09/10/tuition-price-iowa-central-college-private-liberal-arts-schools-iowa-pella-independent-colleges/2277572001/

I hope to see more examples of honest pricing.  As a student I avoided applying to many schools because of the sticker shock with no idea how much financial aid I would get.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Hibush

The Register article throws out lots of numbers, but not a set that allows one to gauge what impact is could have on Central's finances or its competitive position relative to the competition.

I compared IPEDS data of Central with some of its similar neighbors (Loras, Coe and Cornell). Their size and outcomes are similar, their perceived quality increases in that order, with Central between Coe and Loras.  Here are some basic cash-flow numbers in thousands of dollars per student.

College Sticker   Net   Spending
Cornell   41   27   25
Coe   42   22   17
Central   36   23   24
Loras   33   20   13

Central already had a low sticker price. It stands out as spending more per student than the net tuition. Presumably the want to get more students so they can bring that number down. But dropping the sticker to $19k will take some serious savings to make up!

Loras is the cheapest, but also making the most money.  Is Central trying to match their financial model?