News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2019 summer/fall: Starting the new job cohort

Started by polly_mer, May 23, 2019, 09:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiUlv

Hi! New to the board (but have been lurking for about a year as I went through my first job search- old board and all) and getting acclimated in my TT position. Trying to focus on one thing at a time. I wasn't necessarily "trained" or supported on the idea of entering academia in my graduate program, and going through a search was a HUGE learning curve (it's how I found this forum). Thank goodness for online resources! Even so, there were definitely mistakes made. But I managed to get this job, and I love it so far!

I hope everyone else is settling in well. I'm keeping afloat so far. Sounds like you are doing really well, bhiennsona. Staying ahead is a great thing!

the-tenure-track-prof

Hi all, this is my first TT position and I`ve teaching, research, and service responsibilities. Time flies so fast and the first semester is almost over. I`ve managed to land a role in a national task force committee that is very important in my field which covers the service responsibilities at least for a year. Now that teaching and service are in place, I plan to focus more on my research. my goal is to produce at least 3 publications this year.

tuxedo_cat

Oh hai!

Look at that:  I haven't posted since. . . the first week of classes!  We just wrapped up this week, submitted grades, somehow managed to look at course evals the day they were posted and. . . I did not suck.  I honestly have sometimes had a rough first semester when I've moved to a new school.  And I had nearly full enrollment in my sections so. . . lots of grading!  I did not manage that well, but I think I'll have a better handle on things next semester.

And my new colleagues are, for the most part, pretty darn nice.  One dust-up with dept politics, but that seems to have blown over.  I feel a little like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

How about the rest of you all?

revert79

Now that we have had the departmental holiday party, I can honestly say I LOVE my department and am so happy to be in this job.  Everyone is so incredibly nice and generous.  I was bummed about the (fancier) jobs I didn't get after being on the market for nearly an entire horrible year, but now I'm sincerely grateful and motivated to do even better work where I am.  One of the reasons I took this job at a modest salary was because of the lovely people.  At the fancy job I narrowly missed out on, they all hated each other in the department...and now I can clearly see how awful that might have been.  Who knew that a holiday party would be so therapeutic!

mamselle

Good for you and for your ability to see the positives.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: revert79 on December 22, 2019, 08:11:08 AM
Now that we have had the departmental holiday party, I can honestly say I LOVE my department and am so happy to be in this job.  Everyone is so incredibly nice and generous.  I was bummed about the (fancier) jobs I didn't get after being on the market for nearly an entire horrible year, but now I'm sincerely grateful and motivated to do even better work where I am.  One of the reasons I took this job at a modest salary was because of the lovely people.  At the fancy job I narrowly missed out on, they all hated each other in the department...and now I can clearly see how awful that might have been.  Who knew that a holiday party would be so therapeutic!
Congratulations, that's great to hear. "Fit" is so important, isn't it? I was two different departments where a significant fraction of the faculty hated each other. It's tiresome and drags you down for many different reasons. Sounds like you dodged a bullet there.
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

KiUlv

I am also really loving not only my colleagues, but also my students. There are so many things I love about my position! Although, I have to admit I was ready to quit before this past term started because I was so stressed trying to get ready for all these new preps :o

I'm still finding my balance, but I'm glad to be here!

born_a_prof

How is everyone doing ? Wow what a first year, surely no one's had a year like this before in the history of this forum.
What is it looking like for you ? For me, I made 2 Ph.D. and one postdoc offers in early spring....all to international students who can probably not join in fall (or even Spring 21!!). So this year looks like a another year of postdoc, working alone, and teaching.

mamselle

QuoteWow what a first year, surely no one's had a year like this before in the history of this forum.

Well, not TT, but I joined the old Fora in the 2008/9-ish era, and there were a few hairy stories then, as well.

But you're right, this has been one of those "interesting times" we're supposed to watch out for!

All good thoughts to all.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.