News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatGuy

Quote from: mamselle on December 07, 2021, 02:16:50 PM
As a long-ago alumna, when was this? (I could look it up, of course..)

M.

October 2012. Also the first time I had Jeni's.

mamselle

Ah, yes. Jeni's.

There was a shop 5 blocks from my folks' home...not sure if it's still there, but I had a mango sorbet that was heavenly...

By 2012, I was probably only visiting once or twice a year at that point, and didn't hear of the incident.

I know the campus so well, it's sad to think of that happening there.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Department printers can be such fun, especially when folks don't pick up what they printed in a timely fashion.  We had front pages for each print job for a while (that indicated who printed the doc) so that jobs were more easily separable, but then there was an outcry about wasted paper.

apl68

Quote from: ab_grp on December 08, 2021, 10:09:25 AM
Department printers can be such fun, especially when folks don't pick up what they printed in a timely fashion.  We had front pages for each print job for a while (that indicated who printed the doc) so that jobs were more easily separable, but then there was an outcry about wasted paper.

Having to print the biggest batch of checks you've had in weeks on a different printer because the one you normally use is also a lot of fun, when you're using numbered check forms.  Different printers pull papers in different directions.  I had a good deal of trial and error this morning--and ruined three checks--before I finally got it all worked out.  Then I had to ask the secretary at the Mayor's office if I could make file copies of the checks on their printer, since the machine that was down was also our staff photocopier (And the public photocopier at work that I might have used as an alternative was down as well!). 

The copier repair technician had just arrived at the library when I came back from my morning's errands with the checks and file copies.  If only he could have arrived an hour or two earlier!  At least now both of our photocopiers are working.  They weren't exactly simple fixes, but at least they didn't involve having to wait who knows how long for replacement parts.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

I know.

Been there, done that.

I worked for a few months as a temp in a hospital A/P office, and one of the jobs assigned to my desk was printing up individually-generated checks for all the ER docs, whose hours were always crazy.

I once sat bolt upright, out of a deep sleep at 3 AM, and said, "I forgot to pay Dr. So-and-So!"

I had to go in an hour early and hand-type it, so he'd get it in time.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on December 08, 2021, 01:15:45 PM
I know.

Been there, done that.

I worked for a few months as a temp in a hospital A/P office, and one of the jobs assigned to my desk was printing up individually-generated checks for all the ER docs, whose hours were always crazy.

I once sat bolt upright, out of a deep sleep at 3 AM, and said, "I forgot to pay Dr. So-and-So!"

I had to go in an hour early and hand-type it, so he'd get it in time.

M.

We're too small of an institution to have secretaries or payroll offices or anything of that sort, so I have to do all the payroll and bill paying.  While dealing with anything else that's going on that morning, like photocopier repair technicians or calls to the police (Which I did actually have to do today--a story for another thread).  Fortunately we have very regular hours and mostly regular schedules, and the Assistant Director handles the time sheets for me.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Parasaurolophus

Not that that has ever stopped you.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

If that's ^ the thread I'm thinking of, I knew I didn't want to join it.

They're at it again.

M.

mahagonny

Why cancha just play scrabble or cribbage in real life? Let the computer rest.

mamselle

mahagonny

Of course it's 'not just you.'

Students have lost some of their respect for us and for the value of work itself. Work ethic, showing up on time, deadlines etc. are the brainchild of white supremacy, we are told. Suspect and not to be trusted.

Whose fault? Let's try looking in the mirror, liberals.

Wahoo Redux

Reductive political thinking denudes even smart people of their perspectives. 

Personally I have observed a steady stream of antagonism toward intellectuals and intellectualism coming from The Right-----particularly conservative zealots vs. universities, who some people use as a scapegoat to explain why not everybody agrees with their acute politics.

Wonder how Dr. Fauci feels about conservative ethos?

"Conservapedia" anyone?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

" Academics are generally more focused on critique and analysis than solid action, especially since class action seems so difficult in the US."

Intellectuals are able to make their bread and butter with ideas. Ideas that may range from wonderful and timely, to promising but problematic in practice, all the way down to harmful. By contrast, if an engineer designs a bridge and the bridge, built to his specifications, collapses, he is ruined. The intellectual in the right position can make up things that don't fit reality and then declare that reality must change.

aside

Quote from: mamselle on January 05, 2022, 11:09:47 AM

I've had bosses in such settings who'd have had my head for a lollipop if I'd done something like that...

M.

You've lodged a very disturbing image in my brain.  I may need therapy ...

Quote from: mamselle on January 05, 2022, 11:11:22 AM
Does this forum advocate no. 2?

I thought we were more careful than that.

M.

Well, taken out of context, perhaps ...

mamselle

Oh, dear.

I'm being taken literally again.

;--}

M.