News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Graduate Assistant wanting to resign TA duties

Started by kerprof, October 27, 2021, 06:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerprof

I had a good conversation with the program director.

We agreed that I ask the student to be TA for Spring 2022, which will cover the student's Spring 2022 tuition support.  The student need to have the ability to choose which course(s) that she can TA on. I will check with her later this week on this and co-ordinate with the department chair accordingly.

At the beginning of Spring 2022, I would need to meet with the student to discuss on what she can deliver at the end of Spring 2022 semester.  Follow up the discussion with the email. According to the program director, she should at least try to a. submit the manuscript for one conference paper/presentation or journal and b. submit preliminary documentation (few aims) towards her doctoral proposal.

Going forward any relevant discussion needs to be followed up with email.

PS: During the conversation, I had to let out the pregnancy issue. He told me to leave out the Student's Summer completely free. He also told me that I need  to very careful and document through emails  and that he knew some of the male faculty advisors career ruined due to the ruckus with the female PhD advisees during the advisees' pregnancy. He told me to reach out to him any time if I need him.

Hibush

Kerprof, it sounds as if you have developed a reasonable, and documented plan together with the program director. I hope the reduction in uncertainty reduces your stress about the situation.

mamselle

Ruckus?

I'm very glad you had the meeting, etc., and that things are now well-defined.

But this does sound a bit like, "All boys together, those silly females are at it again."

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

Quote from: mamselle on December 06, 2021, 02:14:10 PM
Ruckus?

I'm very glad you had the meeting, etc., and that things are now well-defined.

But this does sound a bit like, "All boys together, those silly females are at it again."

M.

I can see the poor PD thinking he was doing the right thing by learning someone was pregnant and completely trying to protect them from doing ANYTHING that might cause them stress, resulting in complaints the opposite direction.

Gee, whatever happened to "We will tell you what we need. Tell us what is going on, and what you think you can do." In other words, treat her like an adult who knows her own limits and can set her own boundaries.

theteacher

Okay, let's repeat together: My students are human beings; they have families and life commitments.

Ruralguy

Now, go back to the student and present the plan. If she has any issues, you can then work it out with her and director all in one room.

That is,don't make this a secret agreement. Loop in student immediately.

kerprof

The student met with me today and mentioned that her husband got a new job out of state an year back but now that employer wants him to work onsite instead of remote working arrangement. Hence considering her situation, she would like to convert her program from PhD to MS with Thesis option, so that she can complete the program requirements quickly and graduate. 

Caracal

Quote from: kerprof on January 05, 2022, 07:03:28 PM
The student met with me today and mentioned that her husband got a new job out of state an year back but now that employer wants him to work onsite instead of remote working arrangement. Hence considering her situation, she would like to convert her program from PhD to MS with Thesis option, so that she can complete the program requirements quickly and graduate.

That seems like a good option for a student who seems to have discovered that they don't really have the vocation for a doctorate.
Just make sure you work with the student to figure out expectations and a timeline. The point is she should finish quickly and move on. You don't want her to get stuck in limbo.