News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Upserd Student Misspellings, Reeducks

Started by Parasaurolophus, February 19, 2020, 10:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

That explains all the denialism. I'd be a denier too, if I thought an epidemic of worms.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

At least they're not confused about it being a Diet of Worms...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Stockmann

Quote from: poiuy on June 17, 2022, 09:26:11 AM
I often get students in my (social science) field who write 'martial' for 'marital'...

Yeah, martial arts isn't the same as marital arts....

poiuy

Quote from: Stockmann on July 30, 2022, 09:27:10 PM

Yeah, martial arts isn't the same as marital arts....

Sometimes they are, though ...
But that's not what the students meant ...

Parasaurolophus

I was reading about marital duels recently. I first read that as 'martial', but context quickly disabused me of the misreading.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 19, 2022, 05:19:21 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 18, 2022, 01:44:05 PM
Desecrates (Descartes).

Is he Socrates' brother?

Socrates was accused of showing disrespect to the civic cults of classical Athens.  Desecrates was actually caught red-handed!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Wahoo Redux

"...our nation has survived many heart ships."

Of course, I explained that "hardships" are probably more appropriate but that "heart ships" are much more poetic. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Harlow2

Doctoral student: tenet spelled as tenant in multiple projects, despite my pointing out the difference.

apl68

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on December 19, 2022, 10:24:48 AM

Of course, I explained that "hardships" are probably more appropriate but that "heart ships" are much more poetic.

I recall long ago seeing where somebody had spoken of young love breaking out like "wildflowers" instead of the apparently intended "wildfire."  Also more poetic.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: apl68 on February 27, 2023, 08:03:52 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on December 19, 2022, 10:24:48 AM

I recall long ago seeing where somebody had spoken of young love breaking out like "wildflowers" instead of the apparently intended "wildfire."  Also more poetic.

I may have to write a poem about that.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Aster

"2 feet" instead of "tube feet".

The student who wrote that into her group's workbook and got dinged for it received quite the standing raspberry from her peers. Priceless.

onehappyunicorn

"Self-Portraid"
"Self-Protrait"
Not as good as a the "Poortrait" one I had a while ago but still...