Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Upserd Student Misspellings, Reeducks

Started by Parasaurolophus, February 19, 2020, 10:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

OneMoreYear

"repour" (rapport) --would not be so bad except that this is a graduate-level psychology course, and this error exemplifies the level of written work I'm currently grading. I'm now going to repour a beverage to get through this next grading batch.

apl68

"Repouring"  a beverage reminds me of that time I was playing a Scrabble game and my opponent turned "pawned" on the board into "repawned."  I thought for a moment.  Somebody pawns something, redeems it, then hocks it a second time.  It has been "repawned."  Okay, sounds fair enough.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

RatGuy

The narrator of "The Yellow Wallpaper" is suffering from Pose Partner Depression.

apl68

Quote from: RatGuy on July 18, 2023, 10:03:42 AMThe narrator of "The Yellow Wallpaper" is suffering from Pose Partner Depression.

When you're forced to do retake after retake because your Pose Partner keeps fidgeting, naturally you're likely to get depressed.  If you don't get mad first.  If you do get mad first, then you'll probably end up depressed afterward.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

RatGuy

Student literary analysis: "The character is as helpless as a Datsun left alone in the woods." Took me a while to realize that she meant "dachshund."

apl68

Quote from: RatGuy on November 10, 2023, 08:25:16 AMStudent literary analysis: "The character is as helpless as a Datsun left alone in the woods." Took me a while to realize that she meant "dachshund."

Unless Datsun already has some really good self-driving options in service, one would suppose that a Datsun left alone in the woods would be quite helpless, all right.

I can recall as a child seeing a set of stickers with cartoons of punny cars.  There was a furry-looking model called a "Dachsund," and a spooky-looking sedan called a "Boo-ick."  Wish I could remember the others.  I want to say that there was a "Toy-boata."

ciao_yall

Quote from: apl68 on November 10, 2023, 09:03:07 AM
Quote from: RatGuy on November 10, 2023, 08:25:16 AMStudent literary analysis: "The character is as helpless as a Datsun left alone in the woods." Took me a while to realize that she meant "dachshund."

Unless Datsun already has some really good self-driving options in service, one would suppose that a Datsun left alone in the woods would be quite helpless, all right.

I can recall as a child seeing a set of stickers with cartoons of punny cars.  There was a furry-looking model called a "Dachsund," and a spooky-looking sedan called a "Boo-ick."  Wish I could remember the others.  I want to say that there was a "Toy-boata."

Were those Wacky Packages? They were a series of parody brands.

apl68

Quote from: ciao_yall on November 10, 2023, 09:15:34 AM
Quote from: apl68 on November 10, 2023, 09:03:07 AM

Were those Wacky Packages? They were a series of parody brands.

Thanks for the link!  I'd never heard of "Wacky Packages."  Lots of fun with brand names there.

I did some searching this morning, and it turns out it was actually a series called "Funny Cars" from 1976.

https://scottsdalecards.com/1976-itt-c-b-c-funny-cars-lot-16-low-grade/

The doggy car I vaguely recalled was actually a "Hounda."  The "Shovrelet" also rings a bell.  And that's definitely the "Booick" I remember.

downer

I was pleased to learn about the ethics of Kant's demonology. I suspected as much.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

apl68

Quote from: downer on December 29, 2023, 07:22:11 AMI was pleased to learn about the ethics of Kant's demonology. I suspected as much.

Kant's demonology was purely theoretical.  It was Hegel who took things to the next level by attempting actual exorcisms.  Unfortunately in the process he fooled around and helped to release a hugely dangerous demon called Marx.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: downer on December 29, 2023, 07:22:11 AMI was pleased to learn about the ethics of Kant's demonology. I suspected as much.

As it happens, I'm pretty sure I've seen this reported before.
I know it's a genus.

Myword

This is not from a student. Saw it on an apartment ad. 

Dogs must get shots from rabbis.

FishProf

Quote from: Myword on January 06, 2024, 08:09:17 AMThis is not from a student. Saw it on an apartment ad. 

Is that how we get kosher dogs?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on January 06, 2024, 08:21:39 AM
Quote from: Myword on January 06, 2024, 08:09:17 AMThis is not from a student. Saw it on an apartment ad. 

Is that how we get kosher dogs?

Makes perfect sense!

I've read that the rabbis of old were often bi-vocational and practiced a trade as a day job.  I guess they could be veterinarians.  Wouldn't think dogs would be on the permissible list of animals that they could handle, though.