News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Words that Students Don't Know

Started by Aster, January 31, 2020, 08:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poiuy

Quote from: treeoflife on April 19, 2024, 12:55:36 PMMy second year student did not know what peer reviewed is.
Undergraduate student, not graduate student, I hope.

poiuy

Many of my students mix up 'in lieu of' and 'in view of', using them interchangeably

Larimar

Documentation.

I am not kidding.

And the student who yesterday didn't know the word was one of the bright ones. 

Sigh. At least she knows it now. I hope.

Hibush

Quote from: apl68 on April 18, 2024, 10:02:59 AM
Quote from: fishbrains on April 18, 2024, 08:35:25 AMStudents don't know that the words "delve," "tapestry," and/or "whilst" in an essay send professors straight to the AI-generation detector.

While that's understandable, it does seem sad for those students who read a lot and have unusually rich vocabularies.  Although you may teach somewhere that doesn't have any such students.

Do you perhaps mean "Whilst that's understandable, it does seem sad for students who delve into literature and develop a linguistic tapestry."

apl68

Quote from: Hibush on April 19, 2024, 06:00:48 PM
Quote from: apl68 on April 18, 2024, 10:02:59 AM
Quote from: fishbrains on April 18, 2024, 08:35:25 AMStudents don't know that the words "delve," "tapestry," and/or "whilst" in an essay send professors straight to the AI-generation detector.

While that's understandable, it does seem sad for those students who read a lot and have unusually rich vocabularies.  Although you may teach somewhere that doesn't have any such students.

Do you perhaps mean "Whilst that's understandable, it does seem sad for students who delve into literature and develop a linguistic tapestry."

No, students doing that just sounds more amusing/annoying than sad.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.