Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_evil

Quote from: OneMoreYear on April 11, 2022, 01:54:17 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on April 11, 2022, 12:18:26 PM
Quote from: dr_evil on April 11, 2022, 11:52:15 AM
Quote from: AmLitHist on April 07, 2022, 09:55:55 AM
Destroyer of Dreams and Crusher of Souls. That's me.

That is a wonderful title. I'm usually "Why Stu Can't Get into Med School."

So then "Saver of Lives" as well.

Protecting the public, one F at a time.

Hmmm...that is one way to look at it.

Larimar

Quote from: dr_evil on April 11, 2022, 02:09:02 PM

Hmmm...that is one way to look at it.

LOL!!!

marshwiggle

What would that be in Latin? It could be the motto of every professional school everywhere.
It takes so little to be above average.

arcturus

Stu: "Can you explain [action] in our assignment this week?"

me: copy-paste paragraph about [action] from the assignment.

Stu: "Thanks so much!!!!! That was very helpful!!!!!"

Question: would students do better if I sent them personalized emails with the class assignments, rather than posting in the LMS?

mamselle

Yes, put a little scroll-work around it like a wedding invitation in the email, and personalize it even more!

Then they'll know you thought up this assignment JUST.FOR.THEM!!!

(kidding....)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

reverist

Quote from: arcturus on April 12, 2022, 05:36:43 AM

Question: would students do better if I sent them personalized emails with the class assignments, rather than posting in the LMS?

I have seen a lot more of this during this semester. I don't know why it's suddenly increased, but the number of my students who claim to have read all the instructions but react in exactly this manner has been rising.

onthefringe

Quote from: reverist on April 12, 2022, 07:12:56 AM

I have seen a lot more of this during this semester. I don't know why it's suddenly increased, but the number of my students who claim to have read all the instructions but react in exactly this manner has been rising.

But it only works if you resist the desire to preface the cut and pasted paragraph with the phrase "per the instructions"

OneMoreYear

Quote from: onthefringe on April 12, 2022, 09:37:21 AM

But it only works if you resist the desire to preface the cut and pasted paragraph with the phrase "per the instructions"

Ah, that's the part I always get wrong. So, I'm not supposed to tell students that I already gave them the information they are looking for? Huh, I can give that  a try in summer semester; maybe I will be seen as more helpful on evals.

Langue_doc

And now for something completely different:

Excluding me from participation in peer review is setting me up for failure, especially when I had a draft complete to submit on the same day it was due.

Did Stu submit hu's draft by the 5 PM deadline? No.
When are peer reviews assigned? No later than 5:05 PM.
Was Stu aware of the deadline? Yes.
Am I expected to monitor Canvas after 5 PM on Fridays? No, according to the syllabus; yes, according to Stu.
Did Stu submit a peer review for the previous assignment? No, despite getting detailed feedback from Classmate on hu's essay.

Stu, you set yourself up for failure but not reading the modules, not completing your assignments, and not being aware of the deadlines despite reminders.

mamselle

If our civilization leaves an audio trail as the earth travels through the universe, it will sound like this:

-------  b ---   bu     -------  buuuuutttt----iiiiiittttttt'ssssss Noooooooootttt FAAAAAAAAAIIIIiiIRRRRRRRR!!!!! -------

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

onthefringe

Quote from: OneMoreYear on April 12, 2022, 09:52:49 AM

Ah, that's the part I always get wrong. So, I'm not supposed to tell students that I already gave them the information they are looking for? Huh, I can give that  a try in summer semester; maybe I will be seen as more helpful on evals.

From extensive experience as a snarky person, I gather that inclusion of "per the [instructions/notes/syllabus/announcement/prior email]" and also replies that include links to the posted [instructions/notes/syllabus/announcement/prior email] seem to be viewed as aggressive and snarky. Though possibly not quite as aggressive as inclusion of let me google that for you links. </sarcasm>

OneMoreYear

Quote from: onthefringe on April 12, 2022, 11:48:27 AM
Quote from: OneMoreYear on April 12, 2022, 09:52:49 AM

From extensive experience as a snarky person, I gather that inclusion of "per the [instructions/notes/syllabus/announcement/prior email]" and also replies that include links to the posted [instructions/notes/syllabus/announcement/prior email] seem to be viewed as aggressive and snarky. Though possibly not quite as aggressive as inclusion of let me google that for you links. </sarcasm>

Yeah, I tend to be snarky and sarcastic in general. I tone it down as much as possible when teaching. I  found I really had to watch the sarcasm when I was masked because they could not see my facial expression with the (what was intended to be humorous) statement.  Once I switched to clear masks, it was better.  I have actually asked my students if they thought to google something rather than emailing me (not a course content question). Then I show them some online resources.

dr_evil

Quote from: mamselle on April 12, 2022, 06:48:39 AM
Yes, put a little scroll-work around it like a wedding invitation in the email, and personalize it even more!

Then they'll know you thought up this assignment JUST.FOR.THEM!!!

(kidding....)

M.

I would write it in calligraphy if it would help, but chances are they would be unable to read it. It might look too close to cursive.

the_geneticist

A student emailed to ask if they could have extra time for their exam because they have another class right before it and wanted to be "more prepared ".  They aren't taking an exam in the other class. They just have to walk from two buildings away on campus.  Just like everyone else in their learning block.

Just no.

cathwen

I woke up this morning to an email from a student who has done absolutely nothing (as in, *0% average*) all semester.  Now, with two weeks left, she wants to send me all the discussions for the whole semester on a Word document, since the all discussion boards except the current ones are closed and she cannot enter them on Canvas.

Seriously?  Does she think I have nothing better to do with my time than read a pages of hastily thrown together blather?  Does she think she will pass the course if I give her credit for that?  Does she not realize that she has also missed all the quizzes and the midterm?  That her goose is cooked, and has been for a long time?

I wrote a polite but firm no-and-heck-no response.