News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiana

Quote from: RatGuy on April 21, 2022, 06:27:17 AM
Student told me in class that he planned on going to my program director so he could make me "make the prudent choice" in letting him have an exception. Then late last night I received this from the student

QuoteI talked to the program director and was able to switch my shift to Saturday and can now attend class. I appreciate you for who you are, and I know that you are trying your best to fulfill the responsibilities of your job. Your identity is perfect, and found most fully in Truth, where the fullness of your being is waiting for you. I hope you come to embrace this identity more and more with every passing moment and become the happiest person you can be.

Um, has this person always been like this? If not, have they been reported as a student of concern? They seriously sound ... off. Like beginning of some kind of breakdown off.

the_geneticist

Quote from: kiana on April 21, 2022, 07:34:28 AM
Student told me in class that he planned on going to my program director so he could make me "make the prudent choice" in letting him have an exception. Then late last night I received this from the student

QuoteI talked to the program director and was able to switch my shift to Saturday and can now attend class. I appreciate you for who you are, and I know that you are trying your best to fulfill the responsibilities of your job. Your identity is perfect, and found most fully in Truth, where the fullness of your being is waiting for you. I hope you come to embrace this identity more and more with every passing moment and become the happiest person you can be.

Um, has this person always been like this? If not, have they been reported as a student of concern? They seriously sound ... off. Like beginning of some kind of breakdown off.
Yikes.  That student is sounding a bit scary.  Threatening to "make you make the prudent choice"?  Report them to their advisor, your chair, the dean of students, student counseling, and campus security. 
Best case scenario, they are entitled + clueless + odd expressions.  Worst case scenario is they are actually dangerous.  Their writing is really concerning.  The "fully in Truth . . fullness of your being is waiting for you" is either a quasi-religious "be your best self" idea or it's a death threat.

Puget

Quote from: the_geneticist on April 21, 2022, 09:20:01 AM

Yikes.  That student is sounding a bit scary.  Threatening to "make you make the prudent choice"?  Report them to their advisor, your chair, the dean of students, student counseling, and campus security. 
Best case scenario, they are entitled + clueless + odd expressions.  Worst case scenario is they are actually dangerous.  Their writing is really concerning.  The "fully in Truth . . fullness of your being is waiting for you" is either a quasi-religious "be your best self" idea or it's a death threat.

Huh, I don't read this as at all threatening, though definitely rather odd. My guess would be that this student is very religious and fancies themselves a bit of a philosopher plus has some poor social-communicative skills. Of course, it could also be a sign that they may be experiencing some thought disorder (as can happen with psychosis or mania), especially if it is a change and they are exhibiting any other odd behaviors. To me, this would be a keep an eye on it sort of situation, and if they showed any other behavioral changes I'd fill out the care team referral for them.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Puget on April 21, 2022, 10:34:00 AM
Quote from: the_geneticist on April 21, 2022, 09:20:01 AM

Huh, I don't read this as at all threatening, though definitely rather odd. My guess would be that this student is very religious and fancies themselves a bit of a philosopher plus has some poor social-communicative skills. Of course, it could also be a sign that they may be experiencing some thought disorder (as can happen with psychosis or mania), especially if it is a change and they are exhibiting any other odd behaviors. To me, this would be a keep an eye on it sort of situation, and if they showed any other behavioral changes I'd fill out the care team referral for them.

I would definitely report this.  I do not see scary so much as thought disorder or the sublimation of emotional distress.  This is the sort of language I associate with people trying to cope with overwhelming psychological issues.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

RatGuy

For those commenting on the student's weird email, I'll say his behavior has been tiring all semester. I've vented about him before, especially his argument that he "doesn't recognize [my] authority" to teach on the religion of the Puritans, that everyone should "offer grace and forgiveness," especially those people who are victims of genocide (we were discussing the massacre at Mystic, Connecticut, and he says that current Pequot survivors should offer forgiveness), and that slavery is a choice. So I see his emails saying that the "prudent" course of action would be to make him exempt from class policies, and that "laws of mercy trump laws of syllabi" as pretty standard for him.

Someone upthread suggested a religious bent -- I'm wondering if it could be the rhetoric of rehabilitation/addiction? As in, the student is a recovering addict and he's deploying the language he learned while rehabilitating? I don't want to report this latest email because I've reported some of the other behavior. My program director is aware...how many more emails does he want from me on the subject?

the_geneticist

I'd report this.  Better safe than sorry.

secundem_artem

A couple of other thoughts.  Late teens to early 20's is also the usual time of onset for schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.  Stu could just be a religious crank.  Or this could be the early manifestations of serious mental illness.  Stu needs to be referred to student services.

Unless of course the "slavery was a choice" argument means you have Kanye West in your class.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: RatGuy on April 21, 2022, 11:02:51 AM
For those commenting on the student's weird email, I'll say his behavior has been tiring all semester. I've vented about him before, especially his argument that he "doesn't recognize [my] authority" to teach on the religion of the Puritans, that everyone should "offer grace and forgiveness," especially those people who are victims of genocide (we were discussing the massacre at Mystic, Connecticut, and he says that current Pequot survivors should offer forgiveness), and that slavery is a choice. So I see his emails saying that the "prudent" course of action would be to make him exempt from class policies, and that "laws of mercy trump laws of syllabi" as pretty standard for him.

Someone upthread suggested a religious bent -- I'm wondering if it could be the rhetoric of rehabilitation/addiction? As in, the student is a recovering addict and he's deploying the language he learned while rehabilitating? I don't want to report this latest email because I've reported some of the other behavior. My program director is aware...how many more emails does he want from me on the subject?

I'd report it - when dealing with the truly odd, a complete paper trail is much better than a spotty one!

Langue_doc

mamselle

I was only kidding about the "Devil and Dan'l Webster" reference.

But knowing this is that same student, a more transparent picture emerges. They do combine both some programs' recovery language, and a misunderstood rhetoric of redemption and forgiveness, taken out of context, or without a full understanding of those processes' ritual or transactional dimensions.

In all cases, it sounds like the student is struggling, wants to both be 'righteous' (as that term has lately come to be used: i.e., upstanding and generously spiritual) and self-justifying (which in traditional Christian theology isn't possible in the way they're straining for it). 

Does your campus have a chaplain you trust? They might be able to work with both you and the student in the language they're more specifically comfortable with; if you met with the chaplain first you could outline both your academic and your empathic concerns for the student, and you might get further in the conversation as well (plus, I agree, there'd be a paper trail: they document meetings, too).

Even if you don't self-identify as spiritual, that seems to be the dimension this student is operating in most clearly; good, trustworthy chaplains are also trained to spot psychological issues, and by working with someone in that setting, the student might see that you are really not dealing with them in an oppositional way, but in an understanding and caring way.

The chaplain shouldn't take any guff about deadlines, comprehensible language, or the student's need to do the work, either: you might float that concern first if you're on the fence about talking with them: pose the situation generally and see how you feel about their reply.

They're just a resource, like any other resource. 

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dr_evil

Quote from: Langue_doc on April 21, 2022, 12:27:03 PM
Quote from: the_geneticist on April 21, 2022, 12:08:09 PM
I'd report this.  Better safe than sorry.

+1

+2
My situation with a troubled student worked out much better after having a detailed paper trail.

evil_physics_witchcraft

RG:

I would definitely document and report it.

I just received a flood of emails from students and one email, in particular, from a student who wants to discuss what assignments stu can drop since stu failed the course. I am not responding until tomorrow since it is after 5pm (and I have it written in my syllabus that I respond the next day for emails received after 5pm) and I had symptoms of a migraine earlier today which are still lingering. I'm turning off my email.

I swear- do they think the syllabus is optional?

waterboy

"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

Langue_doc

What syllabus, indeed. And what about the handouts, videos, readings, and other information in the modules? Who looks at them? I have students completing assignments without reading any of the instructional content or the detailed directions in the modules.

Pardon the vent, but I've had a flurry of emails over the weekend from Stus who clearly haven't read any of the above. Stus' philosophy: it doesnt' hurt to ask; ask and ye shall receive.

Like EPW, I too don't respond to emails after 5 PM on weekdays or on weekends. I waited until after 9 AM this morning to give them the rinse and repeat reminders about course policies and where to find them (the syllabus and assorted modules).

evil_physics_witchcraft