News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Quote from: Caracal on June 10, 2020, 04:27:36 AM
Is this going to cause him to fail? Does your school have a pass/fail option this semester? I mean, he screwed up and it can't be fixed retroactively, but losing focus during a global pandemic in which all of your classes got moved to a different format than the one you signed up for is pretty understandable. I wouldn't really want to send this student a lecturey email about the syllabus.

This is a lab.  One of the professional socialization aspects is reading and following all the instructions.

Dropping one's classes due to the chaos is understandable.

Missing everything for a week or two in the middle of chaos in transition is understandable.

Claiming to forget a standard part of lab courses just because that part was now online is a fail on many levels.  The quizzes are assessment tools to demonstrate particular knowledge and skills.  Not demonstrating that knowledge and skills at an acceptable level means one cannot go on to the next course in the sequence.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

the_geneticist

Quote from: polly_mer on June 10, 2020, 06:42:16 AM
Is this going to cause him to fail? Does your school have a pass/fail option this semester? I mean, he screwed up and it can't be fixed retroactively, but losing focus during a global pandemic in which all of your classes got moved to a different format than the one you signed up for is pretty understandable. I wouldn't really want to send this student a lecturey email about the syllabus.

This is a lab.  One of the professional socialization aspects is reading and following all the instructions.

Missing everything for a week or two in the middle of chaos in transition is understandable.

Claiming to forget a standard part of lab courses just because that part was now online is a fail on many levels.  The quizzes are assessment tools to demonstrate particular knowledge and skills.  Not demonstrating that knowledge and skills at an acceptable level means one cannot go on to the next course in the sequence.

I have to agree with polly on this one.

The quizzes, their points values, and due dates were all listed in the syllabus.  The first quiz included questions like "True or False: You will have a quiz due at the start of lab every week."
The CMS sent out an email when all assignments were available (quizzes & worksheets).
All assignments were listed in the same "Assignments" page in their CMS every week.
All assignments showed up as a graded column in the online grade book.
And to be flexible with student schedules, the quizzes were all available for at least 24 hours before the due date instead of just the first 10 minutes of class.  Worksheets were due 4 days after lab ended instead of at the end of the lab session.

I don't know how much more scaffolding is needed.
At some point, being responsible for reading the syllabus, looking at the CMS site, checking your grades, and reading your email has to fall on the student. 

Yes, we do have a Pass/Fail and late Withdraw options for the students.

Caracal

Reading comprehension issues again. I didn't suggest that he get a pass on any of this, just that this wasn't the time to give lectures. I asked about the pass/fail because this is an easier discussion if he can squeak through regardless.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Caracal on June 10, 2020, 07:00:55 PM

Reading comprehension issues again. I didn't suggest that he get a pass on any of this, just that this wasn't the time to give lectures. I asked about the pass/fail because this is an easier discussion if he can squeak through regardless.

I emailed back to let the student know about the Pass/Fail and Withdraw options and the deadline to choose.  Labs are only 30% of the class grade so it's possible to pass the class, even with a failing score in lab.

Caracal

Quote from: the_geneticist on June 11, 2020, 08:40:57 AM
Quote from: Caracal on June 10, 2020, 07:00:55 PM

I emailed back to let the student know about the Pass/Fail and Withdraw options and the deadline to choose.  Labs are only 30% of the class grade so it's possible to pass the class, even with a failing score in lab.

Seems pretty reasonable. Being kind, reasonable and helpful can be done while you uphold basic standards.

FishProf

I just got an email from a student, complaining about a summer [Basketweaving II] course.  The email (which was a Wall-Of-Text Run-on-Sentance-Fragment) boils down to:

1) I am doing doing badly
2) I got zeros for homework that was graded on mastery (i.e.  Get >80% = Full points.  <80% = No points.  Do it as many times as needed to get to 80%).  Student pointed out that this cost hu a pass in the[Basketweaving I] which she took with this professor - because she didn't even know about the policy until this summer.
3) STUDENT had to take the class online b/c CV19.
4) Student has a disability which isn't being accommodated b/c it hasn't been documented to our office, so NO LETTER.  Even though professor has been notified by student.
5) Student learns very differently from other students, doesn't fit 'in the box' but is writing to protect other students.

My responses (paraphrased~ish)
1) Sorry to hear that
2) Yup.  That's what Mastery learning means.  Also, how did you NOT know when you failed a course for this before?
3) You and the rest of the planet.
4) No letter = no accomodation.
5) You can only worry about yourself (also, the entire rest of the class has a 74 or better).

This is a direct consequence of fixing a ridiculously uneven and lax delivery of theses courses, at the behest of the majors that require them.  But those departments, which WANT us to weed out the poor students, are constantly interfering on behalf of the students who "really are good students".  How would you know.  You don't get them until after they pass our courses. 
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

darkstarrynight

My institution decided to start this coming Fall semester in-person a week early. Since that announcement was made several weeks ago, we have received a series of vague emails that offer no explanation of how we will do anything, except for masks are required on campus (good luck enforcing that), faculty will clean in between classrooms (yeah, right), and our classrooms are now only allowed to hold 1/3rd of the capacity (so what do we do with the other 2/3 of the students enrolled?)

Within a day of receiving the original calendar adjustment announcement, a student in my Fall class emailed me to tell me hu could not attend class during the adjusted first week so I needed to start class during the original start week to accommodate hu's schedule (ahem, there are other people in the class besides hu)!

All I could respond was something like "I just learned this yesterday when you did. I am currently teaching summer classes and have not prepared for Fall yet. Thanks for the advance notice, but I cannot guarantee anything that works around your schedule if the semester is supposed to start a week early. I will follow up with you in August." I did not receive a reply, but I am holding onto the possibility that I may be able to just do synchronous video classes from home like I did in the Spring when the institution closed and this particular student will have to meet with me separately during the first week. August seems so far away...

FishProf

Multiple variations of "I put down answer A, but the computer says I put down C.  I believe I deserve full points for the quiz".

So, you answered incorrectly, but you meant to answer correctly, and that should get you full credit?

evil_physics_witchcraft

I just had a student email me about due dates. Apparently this student thought the due dates were just 'a guide' to keep students on track, as was the case in hu's class LAST semester.

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 30, 2020, 10:16:18 AM
I just had a student email me about due dates. Apparently this student thought the due dates were just 'a guide' to keep students on track, as was the case in hu's class LAST semester.

Ah yes, the wishful thinking that online = self-paced.

darkstarrynight

A student who I do not advise is submitting a final project to graduate (due tomorrow) - I taught hu maybe a year ago - wrote me an email tonight without any sort of greeting that read, "Would you proofread my references before I submit my project?" I cannot proofread anyone's final project, even my own advisees', but I also had not heard from this student for a year and was surprised it had no greeting like "Dear darkstarrynight." I am ignoring it.

FishProf

This is a new one.

"The reason I'm reaching out is to see if knew WHY BW 300 - Oval Baskets became BW 200 - Oval Baskets? When I took the course in 2005, it was BW 300, but since then is now BW 200."

You took the course fifteen years ago.  It was changed thirteen years ago.  Why do you need to know now?  Don't you think THAT would've been good to lead with?  Rather than the demand for an explanation?

And yes, the WHY was in the original email.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: the_geneticist on June 30, 2020, 11:16:37 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 30, 2020, 10:16:18 AM

Ah yes, the wishful thinking that online = self-paced.

Someone I know who teaches online does this. Basically, if you finish a module, then you can go on to the next. Don't recommend it.

AmLitHist

I sent my usual "it is mathematically impossible for you to pass this class" email today, as the LDW is this coming Friday.  Of the seven I sent, I've had two replies--both THANKING me for letting them know. One even apologized, saying that she knows she didn't do well in the class, but that she still learned a lot (I'd imagine things like time management, etc.--she made deadlines, but her skills are just so poor.....)

I'm stunned.  Usually the students who receive these ignore them (and don't drop, and earn F's).  Occasionally someone wants to argue (generally speaking, the lower their point total, the angrier they are and the more wrong they try to say I am). 

In all these years, I've never had a student say "thank you."  So I guess these really ARE favorite emails!

the_geneticist

Got an odd one today:

QuoteGood afternoon!

Hope you are doing well! My name is [student] and I am an incoming sophomore majoring in Cell and Molecular Biology at [Other University]. I am trying to take the [Basketweaving 101 lab] at your institution and was wondering what steps I needed to take to enroll. I was also wondering if I could possibly get a syllabus for the course as it is required to approve the transfer credit at my school. I have completed all the prerequisites at my current university. Thank you so much!

Best,
[not my student]

Apply for and get accepted at [This University]? I don't think we allow students to do a la carte registration during the academic year.