Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aster

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 30, 2020, 06:34:25 AM
Quote from: Aster on September 30, 2020, 06:24:51 AM
Heh. I don't need to do anything special. But I couldn't email the student more than 1 file anyway... each single class recording is about 140 megabytes. It takes a few minutes for *me* to even upload each one temporarily onto the CMS. The student is requesting nearly a gigabyte worth of data.

You could adapt FishProf's idea. Burn them to a couple of CD-ROMs (Sorted by title. In .wav format)
Send them by post, like in the early days of Netflix.

How many days was it until the exam?

Two. Ha.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Aster on September 30, 2020, 07:22:19 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on September 30, 2020, 06:34:25 AM
Quote from: Aster on September 30, 2020, 06:24:51 AM
Heh. I don't need to do anything special. But I couldn't email the student more than 1 file anyway... each single class recording is about 140 megabytes. It takes a few minutes for *me* to even upload each one temporarily onto the CMS. The student is requesting nearly a gigabyte worth of data.

You could adapt FishProf's idea. Burn them to a couple of CD-ROMs (Sorted by title. In .wav format)
Send them by post, like in the early days of Netflix.

How many days was it until the exam?

Two. Ha.

Perfect.
It takes so little to be above average.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Aster on September 30, 2020, 05:45:52 AM

Covid-era emails...

A few days before the first major exam.
Stu Dent: "Can you send me all of the class recordings from the beginning of the semester?"

I'd email them the link to the class website.  "Here you go!"

downer

Quote from: apl68 on September 30, 2020, 06:47:05 AM
Meanwhile only yesterday we had a patron come to us wanting a welding textbook her son needs for his course at the local vo-tech school.  He's apparently just now trying to get it. It costs well over a hundred dollars, so I can understand his desire to find a lower-cost alternative to buying his own copy.

We've had nursing students printing PDFs of various manuals here at our library.

Isn't is his mom who is trying to get it?

I get that these books can be expensive, but doesn't anyone tell them they need the books, and that's part of the expense of college? I send out messages to some classes before the semester saying they will need the book, and I lack sympathy for students who then lead themselves to failure because they mess up a bunch of assignments due to not having the book, thus wasting a lot more money than the cost of the book.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

AvidReader

6:55 p.m.:
Dear Dr. Reader,
Here is a screenshot of [this week's assignment].
[enormous image follows].
Stu

7:25 p.m.:
Dear Dr. Reader,
I am deeply sorry, for I did not throughly read the directions. Please disregard my last email.
Sincere apologies,
Stu

Langue_doc

Email from a student who was furious that some of hu's classmates earned Bs in the course.

Hi professor

I'm curious as to how I got I C I did all my assignments always participated in class I only absent once during the semester .But I must say thank you very much I've never been so stressed in my life over the pass weeks but again thank you

Aster

Quote from: Langue_doc on October 09, 2020, 06:52:23 PM
Email from a student who was furious that some of hu's classmates earned Bs in the course.

Hi professor

I'm curious as to how I got I C I did all my assignments always participated in class I only absent once during the semester .But I must say thank you very much I've never been so stressed in my life over the pass weeks but again thank you

This is a classic example of literary bomb throwing. Immature, petty, and cowardly. The best thing to do with one of these is to immediately hit the delete button, as they are beneath responding to and not intended to be responded to.

Langue_doc

Agree with the "bomb throwing". It felt like an attack, especially as I helped the student throughout the semester.

I saved this email to remind myself that no good deed goes unpunished. The email from Student was in response to my email explaining why Stu earned a C. Stu was failing the course, so I allowed hu to revise some of the submissions in hu's portfolio over the break and resubmit. Stu was probably around mid-thirty age-wise.

the_geneticist

Hi professor

It's also a case of "Course grades have been submitted to the registrar.  Enjoy your Fall/weekend/etc."

FishProf

"professor i was wondering how i goa 0 on the video quiz grade because  i remember doing it"

What Quiz? Where?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

the_geneticist

We had a very late start to our Fall.  Got this one today:
QuoteGood morning, I had emailed my counselor regarding the waitlist situation that [Dr. Geneticist] has told me that's going on with your class. I understand that the class is full, but there is one week left before enrollment officially closes, and it's urgent that I stay on the waitlist and at least enroll this quarter. I'm scheduled to graduate this fall and this class with the lab is the only one that can fulfill the requirement. I hope you can understand my situation. My counselor will also contact you to see if there can be a resolution.

Please let me know soon, thank you.
Wants to Graduate

Followed quickly by this one:
QuoteI've already talked to my counselor, and he's willing to see if we can work something out in this situation. I still want to try for enrollment.

This was AFTER I'd already emailed the student to say the class was full.

Dear Wants to Graduate,
As stated in my previous emails, Basketweaving 101 is completely full.  There are no seats available.  You will have to talk with your advisor about how to fulfill your graduation requirements.
Dr. Geneticist

What I wanted to say is "The class is full.  Stop asking.  Also, Dr. Geneticist is ME!  Who did you think has been emailing you?!"

Cheerful

Quote from: the_geneticist on October 12, 2020, 01:42:44 PM
....I'm scheduled to graduate this fall...
Wants to Graduate

I'm scheduled to win the lottery this Friday.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Cheerful on October 12, 2020, 02:27:41 PM
Quote from: the_geneticist on October 12, 2020, 01:42:44 PM
....I'm scheduled to graduate this fall...
Wants to Graduate

I'm scheduled to win the lottery this Friday.

Drat!  And here I was planning on being the lottery winner!

The kicker?  The student ISN'T even on the waitlist.

research_prof

Hi professor

Hey, I got something way worse than that as an anonymous, official course evaluation review last semester. The student was attacking me personally because "I stressed him out too much during the semester". I believe I know who this student was and it is sad because this student got an A+ after a lot of help from me. Indeed, no good deed goes unpunished.

I wish I could just tell all these complainers: Please do not take my class or take another section of it that is taught by someone else!

dr_codex

Quote from: research_prof on October 12, 2020, 02:55:05 PM

Hi professor

Hey, I got something way worse than that as an anonymous, official course evaluation review last semester. The student was attacking me personally because "I stressed him out too much during the semester". I believe I know who this student was and it is sad because this student got an A+ after a lot of help from me. Indeed, no good deed goes unpunished.

I wish I could just tell all these complainers: Please do not take my class or take another section of it that is taught by someone else!

If you aren't tenured, keep that one for your tenure file. Seriously. That's gold.

Sure, you want some of the "transformational teacher" / "changed my life" comments, but something about how hard your classes are high are your standards is worth including.
back to the books.