News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: Charlotte on October 21, 2020, 06:13:06 AM
I just had an email from a student asking about an assignment in which they are suppose to compare and contrast two readings from class. They wanted to know if they could use the same reading for this assignment. Instead of using two readings, only use one reading. I'm not quite sure what the thought process behind this request might have been.

"But, like, why would readings say DIFFERENT things???? Shouldn't they all say the same thing???? How would you know what was right?"
It takes so little to be above average.

the_geneticist

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 21, 2020, 07:52:58 AM
I just had an email from a student asking about an assignment in which they are suppose to compare and contrast two readings from class. They wanted to know if they could use the same reading for this assignment. Instead of using two readings, only use one reading. I'm not quite sure what the thought process behind this request might have been.

"But, like, why would readings say DIFFERENT things???? Shouldn't they all say the same thing???? How would you know what was right?"

Bwahaha!  You made me snort my tea out my nose!!
"But why would they write something that is WRONG?!?!?"

apl68

Quote from: the_geneticist on October 21, 2020, 08:55:14 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on October 21, 2020, 07:52:58 AM

Bwahaha!  You made me snort my tea out my nose!!
"But why would they write something that is WRONG?!?!?"

More teachable moments.  Well it is supposed to be a school, after all.

Who knew that getting an education required learning so much stuff?
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

dr_codex

Good morning professor,

I'll be in class today but I'd like to ask if you cannot call on me today because my girlfriend just broke up with me and I just don't feel like talking at all. Thank you.
back to the books.

downer

Quote from: dr_codex on October 21, 2020, 01:21:28 PM
Good morning professor,

I'll be in class today but I'd like to ask if you cannot call on me today because my girlfriend just broke up with me and I just don't feel like talking at all. Thank you.

That melts my heart.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Anon1787

Quote from: the_geneticist on October 20, 2020, 04:25:17 PM

You can only teach the students you have, not the students you wish you had.

The overwhelming majority of students I have (many of them have work and other obligations) manage to arrange their schedules so that they can be present at the scheduled class meetings for class activities. Allowing work schedule as an excuse would open up the floodgates for special accommodation requests.

traductio

Are you by any chance reading both Cervantes' and Pierre Menard's Don Quixote?

Caracal

Quote from: Anon1787 on October 21, 2020, 02:16:54 PM
Quote from: the_geneticist on October 20, 2020, 04:25:17 PM

You can only teach the students you have, not the students you wish you had.

The overwhelming majority of students I have (many of them have work and other obligations) manage to arrange their schedules so that they can be present at the scheduled class meetings for class activities. Allowing work schedule as an excuse would open up the floodgates for special accommodation requests.

Stuff like this is why I have policies that never result in some dire result if a student misses one class, or one test. Obviously, work can't be an excuse for missing class, but stuff happens.

Charlotte

Quote from: traductio on October 21, 2020, 07:42:03 PM

Now that would be an interesting thing to talk about in class! But no, these readings are mostly short poems.

apl68

Quote from: traductio on October 21, 2020, 07:42:03 PM

That's got to be better than reading Cervantes and watching that awful movie version of Man of La Mancha.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Aster

Stu Dent? "Professor, this is in regard to the exam that everyone took. it is absolutely imperative that I make this up. Please let me know when you will drop it off at the testing facility."

This message came from personal email with no class ID identifier on it. There was no subject line either. I sent a terse response that this email was incomplete and to follow-up with a correctly written email, using the correct university email system. I expected a quick response back, but crickets.

Hours later, just for funs, I went through all of my class rosters to figure out who this person is and what class he was referring to. I checked all of my classes twice. This guy is not enrolled as a student with me...

And now I just completed a virus scan on my computer, just in case someone tried to hack me. Super.

AvidReader

Quote from: Aster on October 22, 2020, 01:24:49 PM
And now I just completed a virus scan on my computer, just in case someone tried to hack me. Super.

Honestly, this would be a lot more useful to hackers than the "dean needs a gift card" emails. I get this sort of email all the time and reply almost exactly as you did.

AR.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Apparently, I cannot take even a day off from student email. I received this gem today:

"hey professor, can you reply to my emails, so that I can finish my lab report!!! Please"

I guess, I'm holding this student back from doing the lab report? Maybe I should be disciplined somehow. BTW, the student sent me one email yesterday and then two more today.

science.expat

I wonder why students don't realise that they sabotage themselves with repeated emails.

I received an unsolicited email recently from a potential PhD student. Normally I bin these straight away but this person actually looked quite interesting. I put it in my to be looked at in the next few days pile and moved on. Two days later I received a follow up, which I ignored. Three days after that I received a further follow up to which I responded that I didn't have any available opportunities. Simply because the person was being a pest.

kaysixteen

OK, I  see your point about students' being pests.  That said, if the potential PhD  student looked interesting enough to be potentially considered, why didn't you spend ten seconds to email him back on his first contact, telling him that you would be considering him further asap?