Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AvidReader

[not the same student as above]

Good Morning Dr. Reader, [points for politeness]
I was checking my grade today, and it says I have a 0 on the second essay. It was due October 26th, and I remember editing and submitting it on October 26th. [The essay was not uploaded and has been graded for three weeks.] Can you possibly open it for today or tomorrow for me to submit? This is showing that I did last edit my essay on the 26th. [attached photo with screen shot of Google Doc.]
Sorry for the inconvenience,
Stu

RatGuy

Quote from: AvidReader on December 02, 2020, 06:30:08 AM
[not the same student as above]

Good Morning Dr. Reader, [points for politeness]
I was checking my grade today, and it says I have a 0 on the second essay. It was due October 26th, and I remember editing and submitting it on October 26th. [The essay was not uploaded and has been graded for three weeks.] Can you possibly open it for today or tomorrow for me to submit? This is showing that I did last edit my essay on the 26th. [attached photo with screen shot of Google Doc.]
Sorry for the inconvenience,
Stu

These types of emails are one of my pet peeves. I spend time in class explaining how to double-and-triple check the status of submissions, and I've started to include a "how-to" video on Blackboard. I've found that Mac users will sometimes experience problems uploading, but in all of the cases the students haven't received a digital receipt, nor can they access their submitted assignment, nor do they see the icon indicating their submission was received by Blackboard. It doesn't matter that they "clearly remember submitting it" or provide "proof that I haven't added to it since the deadline." What matters is that it wasn't submitted on time, and three weeks later is not the time to realize you goofed.

FishProf

"Why did my grade go down"?

That is it in its entirety.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

downer

Quote from: FishProf on December 02, 2020, 07:20:00 AM
"Why did my grade go down"?

That is it in its entirety.

Those are the sorts of emails I tend to just delete.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

FishProf

I usually do the same.  This time, I sent a response telling student to calculate what the grade should be and then contact me with discrepancies.

So far, crickets.

Parasaurolophus

QuoteOhk, so i m working on [essay prompt], is it okay if i m working on this?

Yes?
I know it's a genus.

San Joaquin

I built a stock reply for grade appeals:  Please submit any evidence showing an incorrect calculation on my part.

There were two times I had legitimately screwed up, and I was able to correct it and apologize.

The rest?  Not so much.  Saved a lot of time.  :-)

Darned evidence, anyway...

FishProf

After I entered zeros for all the assignments that were not completed for a class, I got this gem:

"Good evening Professor, I noticed you changes a lot of my grades to 0.  Did I do those assignments wrong?"

My reply.  "No.  You didn't do them at all."

the_geneticist

Quote from: FishProf on December 07, 2020, 02:12:32 PM
After I entered zeros for all the assignments that were not completed for a class, I got this gem:

"Good evening Professor, I noticed you changes a lot of my grades to 0.  Did I do those assignments wrong?"

My reply.  "No.  You didn't do them at all."

And this is why I tell my TAs to keep their grade book up to date after every assignment. 

Parasaurolophus

Apparently someone thinks it's grossly unprofessional to re-use lecture videos.
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 07, 2020, 06:00:32 PM

Maybe since Zoom allows virtual backgrounds at some point they'll have virtual clothing so the recorded lecture can be delivered each time with a different shirt on. Maybe even virtual hairstyles.

The possibilities are endless.
It takes so little to be above average.

AvidReader

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 08, 2020, 05:48:05 AM
Maybe since Zoom allows virtual backgrounds at some point they'll have virtual clothing so the recorded lecture can be delivered each time with a different shirt on. Maybe even virtual hairstyles.
The possibilities are endless.

I think the shirts are feasible now. Just record every lecture wearing a bright green shirt, then use a video editor to layer in a new color/background/shirt like a green screen. (Google "Melania Trump Green Screen Dress" if you haven't seen it!).

Also, that is a student who is wasting a lot of time figuring out that the videos have not been changed. Sheesh.

AR.

the_geneticist

I think it's just fine for short, content-based lectures.

My issue is that I'm actively battling against administrators who don't understand why we can't just have TAs record one DISCUSSION class and play it for the rest of their students (you know, since it would really help with the budget to hire fewer TAs).  REALLY?!?

marshwiggle

Quote from: the_geneticist on December 08, 2020, 08:46:02 AM

My issue is that I'm actively battling against administrators who don't understand why we can't just have TAs record one DISCUSSION class and play it for the rest of their students (you know, since it would really help with the budget to hire fewer TAs).  REALLY?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk
It takes so little to be above average.

apl68

Quote from: the_geneticist on December 08, 2020, 08:46:02 AM

"Most of our students graduate not knowing how to participate in a discussion, but they do know what one LOOKS like!"
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.