News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Reusing zoom class instances instead of a recorded lecture segment is very much a problem for the school wanting to charge full price. 

Several years ago, the message going around was "In the future, <Harvard> students will interact with professors live in the classroom.  <Antelope Valley College> students will watch <Harvard> students interact with professors" with substitutions for the exact institutional names.

Watching earlier non-elite students interact with a professor would often be worse than getting to listen in to a good live discussion for subjects that will change, unlike watching a great lecture on, say, quadratic equations that will remain relevant for the next decade.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: polly_mer on December 17, 2020, 04:35:29 PM
Reusing zoom class instances instead of a recorded lecture segment is very much a problem for the school wanting to charge full price. 

Several years ago, the message going around was "In the future, <Harvard> students will interact with professors live in the classroom.  <Antelope Valley College> students will watch <Harvard> students interact with professors" with substitutions for the exact institutional names.

Watching earlier non-elite students interact with a professor would often be worse than getting to listen in to a good live discussion for subjects that will change, unlike watching a great lecture on, say, quadratic equations that will remain relevant for the next decade.

Yeah, I don't think you could really re-use Zoomed lectures. Or, should, anyway, especially because of privacy legislation.

Although I think there are good pedagogical reasons to showcase a high-quality student discussion from elsewhere, I'd be worried about how crappy it would feel to be a student at our dinkier university just watching some other students elsewhere interacting (especially if it's with a different instructor entirely!). I imagine it would be pretty alienating!
I know it's a genus.

aside

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 18, 2020, 06:21:06 PM
Quote from: polly_mer on December 17, 2020, 04:35:29 PM

Yeah, I don't think you could really re-use Zoomed lectures. Or, should, anyway, especially because of privacy legislation.

Although I think there are good pedagogical reasons to showcase a high-quality student discussion from elsewhere, I'd be worried about how crappy it would feel to be a student at our dinkier university just watching some other students elsewhere interacting (especially if it's with a different instructor entirely!). I imagine it would be pretty alienating!

Yes, for privacy reasons, unless you had all of the students sign waivers, you should not re-use a Zoom class if students are heard or seen in the recording  The lecture is your intellectual property, but their questions or discussions are not.

downer

"I apologize on my behalf for being late"

I'm just wondering whether the student wrote this, or a parent.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

research_prof

From my course evaluations:

"Really, the biggest and most serious issue with this course is the course project which accounts for 20% of the final grade. The project is in [X programming language] and that made my life very tough because we have not been adequately prepared for [X programming language]".

FYI: The project was in an entirely different programming language.

the_geneticist

It's the end of week 1 classes and I didn't get nearly as many emails as I'd feared, I think mostly because this is our third quarter of online instruction.

But I did get a classic "I forgot to go to class, did I miss anything?"

Oh, nothing really.  Just the first quiz, meeting your classmates, collaborative work time for the first assignment, and the best opportunity to ask questions and get help.

downer

I did something for a student and the reply was "Thanks. I appreciated."

I couldn't work out whether it was a typo.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Cheerful

Quote from: downer on January 13, 2021, 07:38:10 AM

Perhaps the student got the job?

Langue_doc

ESL student? Autocorrect? The possibilities are endless.

apl68

Quote from: Cheerful on January 13, 2021, 12:46:30 PM

Perhaps the student got the job?

Well, becoming gainfully employed would no doubt help the student's net worth.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

RatGuy

Quote"Hey, I didn't come to class Wednesday or Friday so I don't know what group I'm in. It says that we have class today but I went to the building and everything is locked and no one is around so I guess we don't. I guess any help is appreciated. TIA."

Dude, everything is posted on the schedule, including today's holiday. I don't know what "it" means when you say "it says we have class today," unless that's one of your fraternity brothers tricking you into going to class at 8am today. Your next day of attendance is Friday, but will you follow my instructions and read the syllabus to know that?

apl68

Teachable moment department:  Advice on IHE to students on how not to look silly with their e-mails:

https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2015/04/16/advice-students-so-they-dont-sound-silly-emails-essay

If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on January 20, 2021, 09:58:16 AM
Teachable moment department:  Advice on IHE to students on how not to look silly with their e-mails:

https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2015/04/16/advice-students-so-they-dont-sound-silly-emails-essay

I'd amend this one:
1. Use a clear subject line. The subject "Rhetorical Analysis Essay" would work a bit better than "heeeeelp!" (and much better than the unforgivable blank subject line).

Since most instructors are probably teaching more than 1 course or section, including course number and section in the title helps.
e.g. BW101B -Assignment 1 question
makes it really easy to find the student in the appropriate class list.

It's a good article; it wouldn't hurst to have it as required reading at the beginning of term, especially for first year students.
It takes so little to be above average.

Langue_doc

Gem from a student whose name appeared sometime early afternoon yesterday, but waited until 10 PM to email me:

"Hi sorry to bother you but I was just added to the class today , I was wondering if there's any syllabus and anything I need to know that's important?"

This is an online asynchronous class. All the information is on Canvas. Stu emailed me from Canvas.

FishProf

Dear Dr Fisphrof and Professor Other,
It has come to my attention that I was dropped from [Basketweaving 2] for the spring. I had previously spoken to Professor Other before and had an establishment of me taking the course. I've been preparing for the course over this break. I am confused as to what exactly has happened for me to be dropped right before classes start. I had a great conversation with the professor, we established a plan of things to do in order to prepare for the class. I've been studying and working hard. Please allow me to stay in this course this semester, I more than capable of getting an A in the course.

Sincerley,
Genuinely Confused Student"

Could it be that the reason the registrar gave in the notification email, specifically that you FAILED the prerequisite [Fibers I] course is, in fact, the reason you were dropped?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.