News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Fishprof, I didn't know that students had "establishments" with professors.

Received this one: "Hi, I just wanted to know where I could find the reading [title of the reading]" (all lower case, despite the fact that the title includes proper nouns)

Reading, handout on background information on the reading, and another handout on the vocabulary are all on Canvas, in the first module. Stu hasn't completed any assignments so far.

This is going to be a long semester.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 25, 2021, 09:36:33 AM
Fishprof, I didn't know that students had "establishments" with professors.

Received this one: "Hi, I just wanted to know where I could find the reading [title of the reading]" (all lower case, despite the fact that the title includes proper nouns)

Reading, handout on background information on the reading, and another handout on the vocabulary are all on Canvas, in the first module. Stu hasn't completed any assignments so far.

This is going to be a long semester.

I feel your pain. Lab reports must be one file and in one of three formats. These requirements are listed in the syllabus, the assignment folder where they turn in the lab and in the module instructions. Guess how many people submitted up to five files for a lab report?

Hint: It's not one.

FishProf

I have to put in my syllabus and announce, repeatedly, "I will NOT assemble your lab reports for you".

Maddening.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on January 26, 2021, 03:23:48 AM
I have to put in my syllabus and announce, repeatedly, "I will NOT assemble your lab reports for you".

Maddening.

I agree. I've resorted to not quite draconian measures and just gave them zeros after a 2 email warning.

Langue_doc

Yet another one from Student who has apparently not read any of the information and who has not submitted any of the assignments:

"What do you need exactly by this week ? Im confused on what is to be handed in, I read the discussion post and the week 2 module, but still confused on it. Where can I find the [reading] as well?"

Perhaps read the first week's module? In my reply to Stu, I was tempted to add a sentence to the effect that the course is not taught through email.

dr_codex

This one was forwarded to a bunch of us by our Academic Dean:

I dont know if the problem is on my end but its been a full week of classes but none of the professors have contacted me for anything like a zoom call or other method of communication i dont know if im missing classes or not and i wish not to fall to far behind i wont be able to go to campus tomorrow because i am still waiting on my covid results if there is anyway you can help me please let me know

I'd love to know what Stu thought we were all doing, behind Stu's back. Or what made Stu finally twig that perhaps all of the faculty, administration, and staff were not the problem. Activate your email!
back to the books.

Langue_doc

Quote from: dr_codex on January 26, 2021, 02:42:35 PM

I dont know if the problem is on my end but its been a full week of classes but none of the professors have contacted me for anything like a zoom call or other method of communication i dont know if im missing classes or not and i wish not to fall to far behind i wont be able to go to campus tomorrow because i am still waiting on my covid results if there is anyway you can help me please let me know

I'd love to know what Stu thought we were all doing, behind Stu's back. Or what made Stu finally twig that perhaps all of the faculty, administration, and staff were not the problem. Activate your email!

Perhaps Stu hasn't yet logged on to their online course? Or not turned on their notifications? Or waiting for their professor to add them to their Facebook account?

I'm getting ready to send an announcement to the effect that the modules are in fact the equivalent of class lectures and that students are expected to *read* the modules. All the so-called missing links and readings *are* in the modules! I suspect several of the students are using their phones instead of their computers and are just scrolling through the information without really reading anything.

mamselle

To enlarge that image only slightly, it seems as if some people just expect to scroll through life, in fact.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Charlotte

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 27, 2021, 05:21:23 AM
I suspect several of the students are using their phones instead of their computers and are just scrolling through the information without really reading anything.

To be fair, I've found that quite a few of my students don't have access to a computer at home. With so many libraries and campuses trying to limit crowds, they've been struggling to get access to computers.

RatGuy

"I tossed my cookies during my workout today, so I won't be in class."

While I applaud her caution, I told her that she hasn't attended any classes yet so far (we're in week 3).

Fantasy reply: You can go to the gym before 8am but you can't attend class? Maybe you should toss the class as you're tossing those cookies.

dr_codex

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 27, 2021, 05:21:23 AM
Quote from: dr_codex on January 26, 2021, 02:42:35 PM

Perhaps Stu hasn't yet logged on to their online course? Or not turned on their notifications? Or waiting for their professor to add them to their Facebook account?

I'm getting ready to send an announcement to the effect that the modules are in fact the equivalent of class lectures and that students are expected to *read* the modules. All the so-called missing links and readings *are* in the modules! I suspect several of the students are using their phones instead of their computers and are just scrolling through the information without really reading anything.

Much more fundamental. New-Stu never set up a college email account. Virtually everything is linked to that, including CMS authentication.

Also, Stu never answered emails sent to a private account, nor phone calls from the Registrar.

Stu is a very, very good ghost.
back to the books.

marshwiggle

Quote from: dr_codex on January 27, 2021, 09:18:53 AM
Much more fundamental. New-Stu never set up a college email account. Virtually everything is linked to that, including CMS authentication.

Also, Stu never answered emails sent to a private account, nor phone calls from the Registrar.

Stu is a very, very good ghost.

Problem solved: It's on your end.
It takes so little to be above average.

research_prof

Email from student:

Dear <research-prof's-name> [no title just plain--my first and last name],

I am not sure about the answers to the assignment questions. Can you take a look at the assignment (attached) before the deadline and let me know if they are correct?

<student's name>

1. Am I am a kindergarten teacher?
2. What is the purpose of me setting up piazza for questions?
3. The fact that I and 2 TAs hold office hours every week does not say much, right?

marshwiggle

Quote from: research_prof on January 27, 2021, 10:45:00 AM
Email from student:

Dear <research-prof's-name> [not title just plain--my first and last name],

I am not sure about the answers to the assignment questions. Can you take a look at the assignment (attached) before the deadline and let me know if they are correct?

<student's name>

3. The fact that I and 2 TAs hold office hours every week does not say much, right?

Email reply 5 minutes before the deadline:
"They're not."
It takes so little to be above average.

research_prof

Quote from: marshwiggle on January 27, 2021, 10:48:55 AM
Quote from: research_prof on January 27, 2021, 10:45:00 AM
Email from student:

Dear <research-prof's-name> [not title just plain--my first and last name],

<student's name>

Email reply 5 minutes before the deadline:
"They're not."

I would not do that. I just said that we would like to see his opinion about the questions and that we will provide feedback once we look at the assignment after the deadline. I cc'd the TAs and said "if you have specific questions, please feel free to let us know".

The questions are not hard. It is just that students might need to google a bit to answer one of them. And they are not willing to even do that.