Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arcturus

Quote from: research_prof on January 27, 2021, 10:45:00 AM
Email from student:

Dear <research-prof's-name> [no title just plain--my first and last name],

I am not sure about the answers to the assignment questions. Can you take a look at the assignment (attached) before the deadline and let me know if they are correct?

<student's name>

This is a fairly common request in my large enrollment asynchronous online GenEd science class. Because the students have little chance for feedback (ok, it is their choice not to come to office hours), I have started to provide feedback to assignments submitted the day before the due date. But we only look at those that are submitted, we will not look at ones sent to us via email, and only assignments submitted early. This is in part because I do not want students to complain that their work was marked late, since they were waiting to hear back from us regarding material sent via email. Canvas allows re-submissions, so at the very least they will be graded on their originally submitted work even if they don't upload a revised document.

Also, take it as a win that the student knows your name, even if they do not use honorifics correctly.

research_prof

Quote from: arcturus on January 27, 2021, 10:56:29 AM
Email from student:

I am not sure about the answers to the assignment questions. Can you take a look at the assignment (attached) before the deadline and let me know if they are correct?

<student's name>

This is a fairly common request in my large enrollment asynchronous online GenEd science class. Because the students have little chance for feedback (ok, it is their choice not to come to office hours), I have started to provide feedback to assignments submitted the day before the due date. But we only look at those that are submitted, we will not look at ones sent to us via email, and only assignments submitted early. This is in part because I do not want students to complain that their work was marked late, since they were waiting to hear back from us regarding material sent via email. Canvas allows re-submissions, so at the very least they will be graded on their originally submitted work even if they don't upload a revised document.

Also, take it as a win that the student knows your name, even if they do not use honorifics correctly.

But I mean what's the point of giving feedback before the deadline? If I say it looks good and then the TAs decide to take points away, this will create a huge mess.

I believe students have enough options to talk to us:

1/ Ask to meet with us by appointment--I have told them we will try to give them same-day appointments if possible.
2/ Post specific questions on piazza--someone else posted specific questions about the assignment and they got a response within 15 minutes.
3/ Meet with us during our weekly office hours.

An assignment is meant to be an assignment and if someone meets with us we might end up giving them parts or most of the answer, but I cannot start grading assignments selectively, because in this case: (i) I need to give feedback to everyone's assignment before the deadline; and (ii) the feedback will be binding--if I do not catch an error at this point, they will come back to me later on and complain that I did not give them proper feedback. There is no way around complaints.

the_geneticist

Email from student:

<student's name>

1. Am I am a kindergarten teacher?
2. What is the purpose of me setting up piazza for questions?
3. The fact that I and 2 TAs hold office hours every week does not say much, right?

My stock reply is:
Dear student,
Thank you for your email.  While I do not "pre-grade" questions for students, I am happy to meet with you during office hours to discuss any particular questions you have.  My advice for everyone is to make sure that they understand the [key concepts/terms/equations] in the assignment and that their answers address all parts of the questions.
Best,
Dr. Geneticist

research_prof

Quote from: the_geneticist on January 27, 2021, 11:21:24 AM
Email from student:

<student's name>

1. Am I am a kindergarten teacher?
2. What is the purpose of me setting up piazza for questions?
3. The fact that I and 2 TAs hold office hours every week does not say much, right?

My stock reply is:
Dear student,
Thank you for your email.  While I do not "pre-grade" questions for students, I am happy to meet with you during office hours to discuss any particular questions you have.  My advice for everyone is to make sure that they understand the [key concepts/terms/equations] in the assignment and that their answers address all parts of the questions.
Best,
Dr. Geneticist

Good point. I tried to make it less about grading and more about seeing the point of view of the student when it comes to answering the questions. I guess probably it did not make much difference since the student would say in his evaluation "research prof is very mean—he refused to help me with my assignment".

Langue_doc

Email from Stu after the deadline: "Hi, I'm sorry I was wondering if I could hand in the homework late because ..."

I responded to Stu reminding Stu of late submission policies (weekly assignments should be submitted by the end of the week; no late assignments as I post the correct responses), and to make sure that all subsequent assignments are submitted before the posted deadlines.

Email today about the same assignment: "Hi, I just wanted to make sure that you got my homework because I thought I submitted it earlier but it says that I still need to submit the assignment."

I'm not sure if Stu is genuinely confused, or thinks that I don't keep track of emails. I'll just have to remind Stu of the first email.

kiana

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 28, 2021, 06:07:07 AM
Email from Stu after the deadline: "Hi, I'm sorry I was wondering if I could hand in the homework late because ..."

I responded to Stu reminding Stu of late submission policies (weekly assignments should be submitted by the end of the week; no late assignments as I post the correct responses), and to make sure that all subsequent assignments are submitted before the posted deadlines.

Email today about the same assignment: "Hi, I just wanted to make sure that you got my homework because I thought I submitted it earlier but it says that I still need to submit the assignment."

I'm not sure if Stu is genuinely confused, or thinks that I don't keep track of emails. I'll just have to remind Stu of the first email.

Probably mentally checked off the assignment as "done" and didn't read your response saying it wasn't acceptable.

Parasaurolophus

Excerpted:

QuoteSome of the questions in this quiz is beyond the expectation of our classmates, and it is also the first quiz.

I mean... two questions in the randomizer were particularly tricky, that's true, but not impossible. And it sucks if you got them both (this student didn't), but them's the breaks, and each one was worth 1 point out of 15. Besides, the expectations that matter here are mine!

I might be more concerned if this was the first time I was teaching this class, but it's the eighth.
I know it's a genus.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 28, 2021, 08:42:29 AM
Excerpted:

QuoteSome of the questions in this quiz is beyond the expectation of our classmates, and it is also the first quiz.

I mean... two questions in the randomizer were particularly tricky, that's true, but not impossible. And it sucks if you got them both (this student didn't), but them's the breaks, and each one was worth 1 point out of 15. Besides, the expectations that matter here are mine!

I might be more concerned if this was the first time I was teaching this class, but it's the eighth.

Ah yes, the Designated Spokesperson student.  They are shocked, shocked I say, that you would dare to give them a quiz they can't ace without any effort.

Dear Student,
Thank you for your email.  The quizzes are intended as practice to test your skills & knowledge.  The challenge level is consistent with the set learning goals and objectives of this course.  If you would like to chat about how to solve any particular problem, please come to my office hours.
Best,
Dr. Geneticist

Langue_doc

Quote from: the_geneticist on January 28, 2021, 09:16:45 AM
Excerpted:

Ah yes, the Designated Spokesperson student.  They are shocked, shocked I say, that you would dare to give them a quiz they can't ace without any effort.

Dear Student,
Thank you for your email.  The quizzes are intended as practice to test your skills & knowledge.  The challenge level is consistent with the set learning goals and objectives of this course.  If you would like to chat about how to solve any particular problem, please come to my office hours.
Best,
Dr. Geneticist

Don't you just love hearing from the self-appointed "Designated Spokesperson"? Very often it's just the opinion of that one student or at the most, Stu and Stu's friend.

Chemystery

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 28, 2021, 10:16:56 AM
Excerpted:

Dear Student,
Best,
Dr. Geneticist

Don't you just love hearing from the self-appointed "Designated Spokesperson"? Very often it's just the opinion of that one student or at the most, Stu and Stu's friend.

I have a designated spokesperson this year in one of my two-semester courses.  He never fails to let me know what I'm doing wrong (everything!).  So far, I have been accused of making the course harder than it needs to be, giving them too much homework, not giving them enough practice problems, giving them too many practice problems (the email with this one also included a request that I create a new, all-encompassing practice assignment the night before the final exam), and being excessively rigid and lacking in compassion because I insist that grades in the course correlate to demonstrated levels of proficiency instead of giving them the grades they want or think they deserve based on the time they have invested.
The most recent email came during winter break and included details of how I should change the course structure and the way I teach the course to make it more similar to the way the course is taught in person.  You will not be surprised to learn that his description of how the course is normally taught was not even remotely accurate.  He proposed allowing the class to vote because he was sure they would all agree with him.

I used to love teaching this course.  He has made me hate it.

Charlotte

Late policy: no late work accepted without prior approval of the instructor.

Student: I know I didn't turn in last week or this week's assignment but I'll send them to you soon.

Response that I want to send: Notifying me that you are turning in late work is NOT getting prior approval from the instructor. You will not be receiving that approval.

I suppose I'll have to come up with a more polite response.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Chemystery on January 28, 2021, 10:46:33 AM
Excerpted:

Dear Student,
Best,
Dr. Geneticist

I have a designated spokesperson this year in one of my two-semester courses.  He never fails to let me know what I'm doing wrong (everything!).  So far, I have been accused of making the course harder than it needs to be, giving them too much homework, not giving them enough practice problems, giving them too many practice problems (the email with this one also included a request that I create a new, all-encompassing practice assignment the night before the final exam), and being excessively rigid and lacking in compassion because I insist that grades in the course correlate to demonstrated levels of proficiency instead of giving them the grades they want or think they deserve based on the time they have invested.
The most recent email came during winter break and included details of how I should change the course structure and the way I teach the course to make it more similar to the way the course is taught in person.  You will not be surprised to learn that his description of how the course is normally taught was not even remotely accurate.  He proposed allowing the class to vote because he was sure they would all agree with him.

Better hope they pass the class so you don't have to have them again.  Or if they fail, it's so damn obvious that they won't be able to convince anyone that you were unfair or biased.

Time to start saying: directions for the quiz are in the assignment instructions; the due dates for the assignments are in the syllabus; etc.  Or only replying to emails that actually ask a question.  For ones that don't, you could always write back "Did you have a specific question?  Please clarify."

ergative

Genuine favorite:

Dear Ergative,

I'm really enjoying the [topic] module in [second-year intro course]. It has been my favorite topic thus far. I was wondering if this is a 5-week strand or if we will continue to study it for the rest of the semester. Also, is there an option to study [topic] in third year? Thanks [smiley emoji].

Awwww!

Langue_doc

Quote from: the_geneticist on January 28, 2021, 11:58:08 AM
Excerpted:

Dear Student,
Best,
Dr. Geneticist

Better hope they pass the class so you don't have to have them again.  Or if they fail, it's so damn obvious that they won't be able to convince anyone that you were unfair or biased.

Time to start saying: directions for the quiz are in the assignment instructions; the due dates for the assignments are in the syllabus; etc.  Or only replying to emails that actually ask a question.  For ones that don't, you could always write back "Did you have a specific question?  Please clarify."

Chemystery, I wouldn't engage with this student either. You're in charge of designing and teaching the course. If your student wants to tell you how to teach the course, you could tell him to address his concerns with your chair.

I'm assuming that you are young and female. When you respond to emails such as the ones from your student, the student sees this as the first step in a negotiation.

fishbrains

Quote from: the_geneticist on January 28, 2021, 11:58:08 AM
Excerpted:

Dear Student,
Best,
Dr. Geneticist

During my first time teaching an American Lit. summer course and only my second semester as a new adjunct, I had a student stand up (and I mean literally stand up) on the 2nd day of class and rail at me for a good three or four minutes about how the course had too much reading, the syllabus policies weren't fair, and that "everyone in the class" wanted me to make significant changes to the course immediately (everything had come from a master syllabus I had been given by the division). I didn't know no better, and I said, "Huh. Well, that's the class, and your opinion about how the course will work doesn't really matter. I mean, jeez, get a refund if you're this unhappy already." I may have laughed at him a little. He stormed out very dramatically, and he didn't come back. Never heard anything from anybody at the College about it.

Some days I miss my younger, ignorant, unfiltered self who didn't have a real job or a career to lose.   
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford