News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aster

Stu Dent: "This is because I need a bit more of some information to comprehend and I will be al set. I have studies constantly on taking notes I promise I will reach for an A my next attempt"

Okay. So obviously, not a native English speaker. That's fine, roughly one quarter to one one third of my students are not native English speakers. But dang, this is pushing past minimum norms for basic grammar. I don't even know what the student is even asking about. This is the only sentence that was emailed to me. Heck, I don't even know what course this student is in, as that (required) information was also missing.

cathwen

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on February 03, 2021, 12:30:17 PM
A student emailed me at the beginning of this week because they couldn't find the course content on blackboard I was talking about in my introductory email to the class. As proof that the content didn't exist the student sent several screenshots. They were screenshots of a completely different class.

A student emailed me yesterday claiming not to be able to "see any information" for the class (that was how he phrased it) and wondered if I could email him the assignments.  I emailed explicit instructions for logging in to the university portal, then finding our course.  Has he done so as of a few minutes ago?  No!  I'm foreseeing a repeat of my Mr. Clueless from last semester.

Biologist_

Quote from: apl68 on February 03, 2021, 06:58:30 AM
Seems like Yoda once said something to the effect that there is no "try."  One does or doesn't.

I don't like that line from Yoda.

Without trying, one is limited to doing things that one is already capable of doing. There's no path to develop new capabilities.

Charlotte

Quote from: Biologist_ on February 03, 2021, 08:00:45 PM
Seems like Yoda once said something to the effect that there is no "try."  One does or doesn't.

Without trying, one is limited to doing things that one is already capable of doing. There's no path to develop new capabilities.

I always interpreted it as one should go forward with the intent of accomplishing something and not have an attitude/excuse that it is only an attempt. If someone says, "I'll give it a try" it sounds like they are unsure about it and getting ready to come up with excuses as to why it didn't work out.

While saying, "I'll do that" sounds more confident, intentional and more importantly not expecting to fail.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Charlotte on February 04, 2021, 03:45:02 AM

I always interpreted it as one should go forward with the intent of accomplishing something and not have an attitude/excuse that it is only an attempt. If someone says, "I'll give it a try" it sounds like they are unsure about it and getting ready to come up with excuses as to why it didn't work out.

This is illustrated perfectly by the student whose comment prompted this, who claimed to be "really trying" to succeed in a course even while admittedly skipping classes. That's not trying; that's wishful thinking.
It takes so little to be above average.

RatGuy

Quote from: Caracal on February 03, 2021, 12:36:07 PM
Quote from: RatGuy on February 03, 2021, 10:19:02 AM
For Spring 2021, classes that are designated "HYFLEX" are required to have some sort of in-person component. Instructors who were concerned about COVID were allowed to teach classes designated "AVSync," meaning synchronous online. The Provost's Office sent out an email reminding faculty of the in-person requirement.

Now grad students are using the departmental listservs to voice displeasure....in a most unprofessional manner as possible. The emails will likely be my "favorite" of this term. Luckily I'm not part of the graduate faculty, so I don't have to deal with these students specifically.

Not wise, but I don't think the University can get off the hook by just saying "you had your choice back in September, you miscalculated about what the situation would be now, so sucks to be you-go teach some classes in person."

Instructor decisions to teach online or in person for Spring 2021 was made much later than September, and the University has a kind of "no questions asked" policy when it came to requesting online courses or going on the "high risk" list. I don't think its unreasonable to assume that if an instructor checks the box "I want to teach at least partly in person for Spring 21" would indeed use that mode of delivery, especially given the University's claim that we would be hybrid flexible at least until Aug '21. But I think a first-year MA student shouldn't be posting "If the Provost wants my class it meet in person, then tell him that he can effing do it. Let him drown in his own blood." Thankfully I don't have to do damage control on that one.

apl68

Quote from: Charlotte on February 04, 2021, 03:45:02 AM

While saying, "I'll do that" sounds more confident, intentional and more importantly not expecting to fail.

That was my thought as well.  It did occur to me that in a different context the quote could be understood as discouraging effort or urging a destructive perfectionism.  But a student doesn't "try" to attend class--one either makes it or doesn't.  Maybe circumstances make it impossible now and then, but a student who keeps missing either isn't honestly trying or has conflicts that make withdrawing from the class advisable.  If it's a traditional-age student without a lot of family responsibilities, I'd be inclined to suspect the former.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Charlotte

Quote from: apl68 on February 04, 2021, 07:33:16 AM

That was my thought as well.  It did occur to me that in a different context the quote could be understood as discouraging effort or urging a destructive perfectionism.  But a student doesn't "try" to attend class--one either makes it or doesn't.  Maybe circumstances make it impossible now and then, but a student who keeps missing either isn't honestly trying or has conflicts that make withdrawing from the class advisable.  If it's a traditional-age student without a lot of family responsibilities, I'd be inclined to suspect the former.

Or if you invite someone to an event and they say, "I'll try to make it" then it implies that it is not a priority for them to actually make it.

apl68

Quote from: Charlotte on February 04, 2021, 07:51:27 AM
Quote from: apl68 on February 04, 2021, 07:33:16 AM

Or if you invite someone to an event and they say, "I'll try to make it" then it implies that it is not a priority for them to actually make it.

I've been guilty of that more than once....
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: RatGuy on February 04, 2021, 05:40:05 AM
For Spring 2021, classes that are designated "HYFLEX" are required to have some sort of in-person component. Instructors who were concerned about COVID were allowed to teach classes designated "AVSync," meaning synchronous online. The Provost's Office sent out an email reminding faculty of the in-person requirement.

Now grad students are using the departmental listservs to voice displeasure....in a most unprofessional manner as possible. The emails will likely be my "favorite" of this term. Luckily I'm not part of the graduate faculty, so I don't have to deal with these students specifically.

Not wise, but I don't think the University can get off the hook by just saying "you had your choice back in September, you miscalculated about what the situation would be now, so sucks to be you-go teach some classes in person."

Instructor decisions to teach online or in person for Spring 2021 was made much later than September, and the University has a kind of "no questions asked" policy when it came to requesting online courses or going on the "high risk" list. I don't think its unreasonable to assume that if an instructor checks the box "I want to teach at least partly in person for Spring 21" would indeed use that mode of delivery, especially given the University's claim that we would be hybrid flexible at least until Aug '21. But I think a first-year MA student shouldn't be posting "If the Provost wants my class it meet in person, then tell him that he can effing do it. Let him drown in his own blood." Thankfully I don't have to do damage control on that one.

Whoa! Is that student going to continue to be enrolled as an MA student at your institution? What could possibly be the damage control possible for that statement? I don't think there's a "misunderstanding" here. That post was perfectly clear.

dr_codex

Quote from: OneMoreYear on February 04, 2021, 09:17:01 AM
Quote from: RatGuy on February 04, 2021, 05:40:05 AM

Whoa! Is that student going to continue to be enrolled as an MA student at your institution? What could possibly be the damage control possible for that statement? I don't think there's a "misunderstanding" here. That post was perfectly clear.

Clarification request: These graduate students who are being required to teach (as T.A.'s) in person, correct? I can imagine this scenario generating conflict, especially if the T.A.'s have no choice in the matter.
back to the books.

the_geneticist

Our graduate students are VERY concerned about the plan to return to in-person teaching in Fall.  Basically, unless the campus requires the students to be vaccinated, the graduate students do not want to teach in person.  There is no way to maintain social distancing in a lab class.

AvidReader

Just in, from a different student enrolled in the same class as my student who is "trying." New emailing student has also never been to class. Student spent fourteen minutes on the CMS at the end of the first week of classes and logged in again today for another four minutes, during which time student ticked the "completed" button for all the work student has not submitted and then marked most directions and course videos as completed, including the directions for the first essay, the video explaining the first essay, and the video describing how to navigate the CMS. The email in its entirety:

Hi I'm confused on what's going on in your class what's the essay supposed to be on I missed a few days now I don't know what's going on

AR.

Langue_doc

AR, I feel your pain.

Excerpt from a response to my "early warning" email:

I understand your concern and I greatly appreciate it. My late assignments are not something I intend to repeat, and I am fully adamant on passing with course with a high grade. I am interested in the course as well as keeping a good standing in terms of grades. I assure you I will from this point on put in the effort and work to attain an appropriate grade.

Stu's assignments aren't late, they're missing and thus earned zeros. According to the syllabus, assignments are due by the deadline. Stu was polite and apologetic about missing assignments. At least, Stu states that hu will "put in the effort and work" instead of trying to put in the effort and work.

RatGuy

Quote from: dr_codex on February 04, 2021, 09:23:21 AM

Clarification request: These graduate students who are being required to teach (as T.A.'s) in person, correct? I can imagine this scenario generating conflict, especially if the T.A.'s have no choice in the matter.

TAs, along with FT and PT faculty, were asked to submit requests for in-person or online-only. There was a separate survey for individuals who wanted to be classified as high risk. Both surveys were "no questions asked," meaning that no one had to submit documentation. If you requested online-only, you received it.

Again, I'm not graduate faculty so I don't know these students personally -- they just have access to the departmental listserv. Recent scuttlebutt indicates some of them complaining are not, in fact, teaching in person (either because they are teaching online or because teaching is not part of their assistantship). So it may be that these students indicated their willingness to teach in person when the survey was circulated last November, or it may be that they're not in class at all. What has happened is a lot of listserv dogpiling. My guess is that their respective program heads are handling it internally.