News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatGuy

Class hasn't started and I've already received:

"Hey there! I'm in your class MWF at 2pm. I have a class that ends at 1:50pm and I wanted to know if it was ok if I was a little late everyday or if I need to make other arrangements."

the_geneticist

Quote from: RatGuy on August 17, 2021, 01:50:09 PM

"Hey there! I'm in your class MWF at 2pm. I have a class that ends at 1:50pm and I wanted to know if it was ok if I was a little late everyday or if I need to make other arrangements."

Fantasy reply: you could try walking faster.

dr_codex

I would give that student an A. Mine never figure this out until the first week.
back to the books.

kaysixteen

Depends on whether the campus is big enough to not reasonably able to walk between class locations.

But you ought to work on 'hey there' nonetheless.

quasihumanist

Quote from: the_geneticist on August 17, 2021, 02:13:42 PM

Other Fantasy Reply: I see you have Professor Runsover.  I promise to smack him in the head twice a day every day until he lets his classes out on time.

marshwiggle

Quote from: quasihumanist on August 17, 2021, 11:21:31 PM
Quote from: the_geneticist on August 17, 2021, 02:13:42 PM

Other Fantasy Reply: I see you have Professor Runsover.  I promise to smack him in the head twice a day every day until he lets his classes out on time.

Provided it's not the stop at the coffee shop between classes that's causing the problem.....
It takes so little to be above average.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Interthreaduality.

Stu email says, 'Hi. I'll most likely miss the 1st week of class due to Covid.' This is a high school student taking college courses.

Damn semester hasn't even started yet.

Caracal

Is that an unreasonable question? My campus has classes on opposite ends of a large campus. The buses back up and you can't reliably get to the other side of campus in ten minutes. I tell students to do their best, but I won't count them as late.

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 18, 2021, 10:00:31 AM
Interthreaduality.

Stu email says, 'Hi. I'll most likely miss the 1st week of class due to Covid.' This is a high school student taking college courses.

Damn semester hasn't even started yet.

Wait, when do your classes start?  If it's next week and the student is currently sick, then I'd tell them to "rest up and feel better soon".
Otherwise, they need to provide more information.  "due to Covid" is not a blanket excuse for missing class.
My money is on the student being on vacation that week & not wanting to admit that they will be in Vegas/Cabo/where ever.

Charlotte

Student says they will be absent for four weeks out of the semester due to being on vacation and needs leniency on late work for that period.

Students states they are a very good student who has made the Dean's list every semester. In fact, the dean reportedly told student they "must absolutely go on the vacation this semester despite missing so much class." The students academic advisor apparently also told the student they must go on this four week vacation during the semester.

research_prof

Quote from: Charlotte on August 18, 2021, 03:02:32 PM
Student says they will be absent for four weeks out of the semester due to being on vacation and needs leniency on late work for that period.

Students states they are a very good student who has made the Dean's list every semester. In fact, the dean reportedly told student they "must absolutely go on the vacation this semester despite missing so much class." The students academic advisor apparently also told the student they must go on this four week vacation during the semester.

LOL

Puget

It apparently does not occur to some students that we communicate with one another and also know more about how college actually works than they do. These same students are generally surprised that we can see their activity (or lack thereof) on the LMS.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

dr_codex

That gives me an idea...

Dear Chair:

As you know, I'm a very good employee. In fact, the dean told me that I "must absolutely go on the vacation this Fall despite missing so much class." [etc. etc.]

See you in October, suckers.

dc
back to the books.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Good Lord! The entitlement...

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: dr_codex on August 18, 2021, 04:15:22 PM

That gives me an idea...

Dear Chair:

As you know, I'm a very good employee. In fact, the dean told me that I "must absolutely go on the vacation this Fall despite missing so much class." [etc. etc.]

See you in October, suckers.

dc

Damn, I wish this could work for me.