News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

I don't think I have access to have information about who my students academic advisors are.

Occasionally I tell students with personal issues that they have not documented that I will accept their late work if they get their academic advisor to write to me vouching for them. It almost never happens.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: downer on December 14, 2021, 12:24:46 PM
I don't think I have access to have information about who my students academic advisors are.

Occasionally I tell students with personal issues that they have not documented that I will accept their late work if they get their academic advisor to write to me vouching for them. It almost never happens.

Exactly this scenario.  The student wanted very badly to explain hu's personal circumstances, claimed COVID, and I explained that hu need not fill me in on hu's life story (most likely a breakup, I'm betting) just a letter from an advisor or the Dean of Students office, even a note from the doctor, so I could legitimately give an extension...which never appeared despite my reminders that hu could not pass the class without something.  So no favorite emails.  No letters from the Dean.  Bunko.

I'm betting I get a favorite student email after I turn in grades at the end of the week, however.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

FishProf

Student who could have passed the course if they had submitted a poster that consisted of more than 3 pictures and an equation.  And, given that he was suspended at the time, he had plenty of free time to do this.  Also, missing 2/3 of the quizzes and 3/4 of the reading quizzes did not help.

"Fishprof,
I'm sorry, if I have failed you or offended you. I seek forgiveness.
Hopeless"

"Fishprof
I have an E? Do I pass your class? Do I not deserve to pass? Please let me pass? I beg of you. I will do anything you ask, sir.
Increasingly Hopeless"

The second one was in response to the class-wide email informing them grades were posted and extending the deadline for a few outstanding items (I am probably gonna regret doing that)
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

teach_write_research

I messaged a student in the LMS to ask which of the final project prompts they were answering. Their work was very jumbled and didn't really answer any of the prompts directly. Their reply back was that they answered a little bit of all of the prompts. They then followed that with several messages giving me a copy-paste repeat of their unclear answer. Well, I suppose a further demonstration of unclear written communication gives me clarity in a roundabout way?

the_geneticist

Quote from: FishProf on December 15, 2021, 05:02:07 AM
Student who could have passed the course if they had submitted a poster that consisted of more than 3 pictures and an equation.  And, given that he was suspended at the time, he had plenty of free time to do this.  Also, missing 2/3 of the quizzes and 3/4 of the reading quizzes did not help.

"Fishprof,
I'm sorry, if I have failed you or offended you. I seek forgiveness.
Hopeless"

"Fishprof
I have an E? Do I pass your class? Do I not deserve to pass? Please let me pass? I beg of you. I will do anything you ask, sir.
Increasingly Hopeless"

The second one was in response to the class-wide email informing them grades were posted and extending the deadline for a few outstanding items (I am probably gonna regret doing that)

Time for a "grades are earned based on [X criteria].  See the syllabus for the exact point distribution and letter grade cut-offs" email. 

Parasaurolophus

I just got an email begging for 1.5% more to pass the course. Because effort.

I pointed out that the student's effort had to have been quite minimal, since they didn't submit 3/8 assignments and failed despite me already giving everyone 10% in the form of free participation marks.

But I was sorely tempted to accede to the demand. Then they would have learned that 1.5% still left them 0.24% shy of a passing grade.
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 20, 2021, 10:49:43 AM

I pointed out that the student's effort had to have been quite minimal, since they didn't submit 3/8 assignments and failed despite me already giving everyone 10% in the form of free participation marks.

But I was sorely tempted to accede to the demand. Then they would have learned that 1.5% still left them 0.24% shy of a passig grade.

Do it. Do it. Do it.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ricecloudnine

Quote from: FishProf on December 20, 2021, 11:15:53 AM

But I was sorely tempted to accede to the demand. Then they would have learned that 1.5% still left them 0.24% shy of a passig grade.

Do it. Do it. Do it.
Of course that's when the second email comes asking you to round the grade up to the passing grade

mahagonny

Quote from: downer on December 14, 2021, 12:24:46 PM

Right, well, you are an adjunct, correct? So there is pressure on the tenure track faculty to pretend your presence is a temporary situation. So why let you know who the students' advisors are? That would only feed the perception that you are a regular part of the school's functioning, which undercuts the tenure track's feigned campaign for using only 'regular' faculty.

Langue_doc

Time-stamped 12:12 AM:
I noticed you had uploaded our final grades. I thought I deserved at least
an A-. Would you mind explaining why my final grade ended in a B+? Thank
you.

Auto-reply was turned on at 10 PM last night, so I don't have to reply to grade-grubbing emails until early next month.

Stu, how about reading my comments on your assignments?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ricecloudnine on December 21, 2021, 08:05:15 PM
Quote from: FishProf on December 20, 2021, 11:15:53 AM

Do it. Do it. Do it.
Of course that's when the second email comes asking you to round the grade up to the passing grade

Yeah, that's the worry.
I know it's a genus.

ergative

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 22, 2021, 03:50:11 AM
Time-stamped 12:12 AM:
I noticed you had uploaded our final grades. I thought I deserved at least
an A-. Would you mind explaining why my final grade ended in a B+? Thank
you.

Auto-reply was turned on at 10 PM last night, so I don't have to reply to grade-grubbing emails until early next month.

Stu, how about reading my comments on your assignments?

I have a student who's like that. I leave extensive comments on his work, but it's usually a low B or a C, and he comes to my office hours to talk about it. Which is good, except I don't have anything to say to him that I haven't already written in the comments. Ah, well. that's what office hours are for, and he doesn't argue. He just wants to know what he can do better. But he could learn that by reading the final bit of my comments, which always say, 'In future assignments, try focusing on [X].'

AmLitHist

Dear Professor,
My name is ----, I am in English Composition II 102- ---. I am concerned about my grade a little bit, I have looked at the banner to check my grade report. I do not quite understand that am I passing your class? and with what grade?

It's a C.  Though I'm reconsidering that now.....

Out-of-office autoreply until January 18.

reverist

Received today for a class beginning next week:

"is it anyway possible to get the papers pages reduced? For example 4 instead of 8. This will help me so much I have already been worrying about them. Thank you."

I have been teaching for nearly ten years, and have never before received a request to do half the writing (for full credit, anyway!).

apl68

Quote from: reverist on January 06, 2022, 09:12:42 AM
Received today for a class beginning next week:

"is it anyway possible to get the papers pages reduced? For example 4 instead of 8. This will help me so much I have already been worrying about them. Thank you."

I have been teaching for nearly ten years, and have never before received a request to do half the writing (for full credit, anyway!).

Does this student not know how to change font sizes and use creative spacing?  Stretching a paper to double its actual content length would be exceptional, but I've seen examples that come fairly close.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.