News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatGuy

Quote from: Puget on February 07, 2022, 06:44:42 AM
Yes, just like we don't great each other repeatedly within a conversation it would be odd to do so in a string of emails that continue a conversation.
Students sometimes go too formal as well in odd ways-- I had one student who started every email by saying "Hi, this is X from your Y class" even though after months I clearly knew who he was.

Given the number of students across all classes, I like to have that class reference in the original email from them. Given that approximately a 10th of my students are named "Taylor" and that I've got at least one Katelyn in every class, it's helpful to be reminded which section.

But is there a new trend in asking for PDFs of the readings? I keep getting "the reading isn't in our textbook, can you post it to Blackboard?" The first clause is demonstrably false, so the request won't ever be granted. Is this some sort of grift to avoid buying the textbook?

jerseyjay

In a string of emails there is often a decreasing formality. But in a doubt more formality is better than less. (Also, I was taught that it is usually the person of more authority who needs to initiate this, not the person in less authority, although this might be a reflection of trying to navigate the protocols of how to tutear in Latin America.

I do prefer students to say what class they are in, even if I already know. Partially because this is better than the alternative, which is that students do not tell me their name or course, or just say they are in my history course. I also have many students with similar names, including last names. I also have several students who have taken--or are taking--several classes with me and it is nice to know what class they are referring to.

the_geneticist

I prefer when students tell me who they are, which class they are taking, and the student ID number.  I have 2 students with the EXACT same name taking lab on the same day (thankfully in different sections).

apl68

Quote from: the_geneticist on February 07, 2022, 09:53:34 AM
I prefer when students tell me who they are, which class they are taking, and the student ID number.  I have 2 students with the EXACT same name taking lab on the same day (thankfully in different sections).

It can happen, all right.  I have first and last names that are both very common, and have been involved in minor confusions created by myself and somebody else having the same name.  And one fairly serious confusion caused when trying to renew my driver's license, and having to prove I was not somebody with the same name and date of birth who compiled a truly disastrous driving record in another state and then apparently vanished.  I had to get a copy of my birth certificate and everything.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Puget

Quote from: RatGuy on February 07, 2022, 07:08:00 AM
Yes, just like we don't great each other repeatedly within a conversation it would be odd to do so in a string of emails that continue a conversation.
Students sometimes go too formal as well in odd ways-- I had one student who started every email by saying "Hi, this is X from your Y class" even though after months I clearly knew who he was.

Given the number of students across all classes, I like to have that class reference in the original email from them. Given that approximately a 10th of my students are named "Taylor" and that I've got at least one Katelyn in every class, it's helpful to be reminded which section.

But is there a new trend in asking for PDFs of the readings? I keep getting "the reading isn't in our textbook, can you post it to Blackboard?" The first clause is demonstrably false, so the request won't ever be granted. Is this some sort of grift to avoid buying the textbook?

In most cases I'd agree, but this particular student was a frequent flier-- monopolizing large chunks of my office hours weekly and emailing me often, so it was just funny that he explained who he was in every single email. It was also on par with a pattern of other problems understanding social communication.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Some better-off school libraries that I know of have been supplying .pdfs of readings during the pandemic, but I think just the electronic file, they don't print them out.

I think the agreement is that they're supposed to be destroyed after the course to avoid issues with copyright, but of course, who knows if that is done.

Larger public libraries used to occasionally do this for ILL requests, also; if the students figure out that a public library doesn't have a book but can fill out the ILL form on line, they might be able to get it that way (but I wouldn't, of course, tell them that except in extreme situations...)

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Puget on February 07, 2022, 11:21:34 AM
Quote from: RatGuy on February 07, 2022, 07:08:00 AM

In most cases I'd agree, but this particular student was a frequent flier-- monopolizing large chunks of my office hours weekly and emailing me often, so it was just funny that he explained who he was in every single email. It was also on par with a pattern of other problems understanding social communication.

I can understand someone sticking to a rule like "Identify yourself clearly when sending an email to your professor." even if they suspect it might be unnecessary in a specific case.

I've been called out for things like that.

If social communication isn't one of your particular strengths, relying on your own judgment can seem dicey.

Not identifying yourself when you should have is likely to cause more annoyance than identifying yourself unnecessarily.

mahagonny

Student: I've got a family obligation tomorrow at class time that I've been trying to get out of....I'd be happy to schedule a meeting after 5 pm any day next week, if you...

Me: Your family knows you are a college student, don't they?

marshwiggle

Stu: "I'm going to miss today's lab, and want to know what I need to do so that this won't be included in my final grade."

(Not "How do I make this up?", but "How do I make it go away?", or at least that's how I read it.)
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 11, 2022, 05:08:44 AM
Stu: "I'm going to miss today's lab, and want to know what I need to do so that this won't be included in my final grade."

(Not "How do I make this up?", but "How do I make it go away?", or at least that's how I read it.)

In my experience this kind of communication from a student is often accompanied by 'I'm very sorry, but I won't be attending the lab.' As though their non-attendance is going to be a problem for you, the instructor, instead of for them.

the_geneticist

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 11, 2022, 05:08:44 AM

That's why I have a clear policy on what to do if you miss class.  Either ask permission in advance to attend another section, provide proof of an emergency, or earn a zero.  Their choice of how to proceed.

"Life is full of choices.  Choices have consequences.  Choose wisely."

OneMoreYear

Ugh. Got one of my least favorite whiney emails today in one of the classes I co-teach, which included:
I'm a 4.0 student (1)
I work so hard in this class (2)
Can I have extra credit? (3)

What I would like to say:
1--not in this class
2--you have a better chance of convincing me that you "work so hard in this class" if you do not send me 5 paragraph emails during my co-instructors lecture
3. I am happy to assign you some extra (ungraded) practice problems to help you learn the material. However, if what you are asking for is an easy assignment to "make up" points, the answer is, as always, no.

Caracal

Quote from: OneMoreYear on February 14, 2022, 06:57:29 AM
Ugh. Got one of my least favorite whiney emails today in one of the classes I co-teach, which included:
I'm a 4.0 student (1)
Can I have extra credit? (3)

What I would like to say:
1--not in this class
2--you have a better chance of convincing me that you "work so hard in this class" if you do not send me 5 paragraph emails during my co-instructors lecture
3. I am happy to assign you some extra (ungraded) practice problems to help you learn the material. However, if what you are asking for is an easy assignment to "make up" points, the answer is, as always, no.

I've started using some version of "Unfortunately, it wouldn't be fair or equitable to allow students to get extra credit. I'd be happy to discuss how to improve in the future.

Aster

I'm a 4.0 student (1)

Either one of these statements is a red-flag to me.

For my students, only very rarely will a student claiming they're "4.0" actually have a 4.0, or anywhere near a 4.0. Quite the reverse. Most of the "I'm 4.0" students I've discovered to be either currently on academic probation, retaking classes they've failed, and/or otherwise have between the 2.0 and 3.0 GPA range.
Straight-A students don't usually brag.

The "working hard" excuse I find to be bogus maybe 80-90% of the time. I've got a checklist of measurable metrics that I'll review with a student to evaluate their work activity. Like, show my your textbook so I can see what you've highlighted in it. Or, show me your study guide that all students are required to construct for each exam. Or, show me your completed homework. Or, tell me when you used my office hours. Rarely do the students claiming to "work hard" fulfill most of those metrics. Heck, over half of these students turn out having done very little "working hard", usually much less than the "average" student.

My response to these whiney, bogus emails is usually the same.
"I am available for help during office hours. Please bring your textbook, class notes, and course syllabus with you."

And then I never hear back from then again.

apl68

Quote from: Aster on February 14, 2022, 09:10:20 AM
I'm a 4.0 student (1)

Either one of these statements is a red-flag to me.

For my students, only very rarely will a student claiming they're "4.0" actually have a 4.0, or anywhere near a 4.0. Quite the reverse. Most of the "I'm 4.0" students I've discovered to be either currently on academic probation, retaking classes they've failed, and/or otherwise have between the 2.0 and 3.0 GPA range.
Straight-A students don't usually brag.

Straight-A students who lose the straight A usually also see it as a personal failure on their part, not as something to be weaseled out of.  Or anyway that used to be the case.  Maybe it has changed.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.