Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 07, 2022, 11:04:36 AM
Thank you.

So far, he seems to have adjusted very well to his new people and environment. From their reports, videos, and pictures, he seems pretty comfortable, like he's getting more of the kind of attention he needs, and like he's already appreciating having fewer stressors around (especially no longer having the bedroom door closed, and being able to climb into bed again). So that's all to the good, although it's paradoxically just as heartbreaking for me.

*sniffle*

So sorry, Parasaurolophus, that Big Cat needed to move to a new home. I'm glad he is adjusting to his new surroundings. You provided a wonderful home for him to learn that humans are Good Things that he wants attention from. And now it sounds like he is finding his way to attach to new humans.  I hope the Para household is overall less stressed with the change and the hatchling is doing well.

OneMoreYear

Double post (sorry).

I came home from work today, and I opened the front door with my hands full. Ricochet  bolted out of the house and off of the front porch. She's cheetah-fast, so I'm not even sure what direction she headed. So, I was in full-blown panic-mode because she does not respond to her name.  I checked under the car first as that was one of my other cats favorite spots (nope), then turned around the check the backyard when I see her back on the porch in front of the door. Apparently she decided that she did not like outside.  Thank goodness! I'm still calming down. INSIDE CAT!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: OneMoreYear on March 08, 2022, 02:42:03 PM
Double post (sorry).

I came home from work today, and I opened the front door with my hands full. Ricochet  bolted out of the house and off of the front porch. She's cheetah-fast, so I'm not even sure what direction she headed. So, I was in full-blown panic-mode because she does not respond to her name.  I checked under the car first as that was one of my other cats favorite spots (nope), then turned around the check the backyard when I see her back on the porch in front of the door. Apparently she decided that she did not like outside.  Thank goodness! I'm still calming down. INSIDE CAT!

Phew!

Our little cat likes to do exactly that, especially at night when she's not allowed out. She's super sneaky and lightning fast... but doesn't actually want to be out there. She just wants you to chase her up and down the hill a few times. =/
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

She's your exercycle...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

My parents' cat is showing potential as a mouser.  Maybe he'll fix their vermin problem.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

the_geneticist

Quote from: apl68 on March 09, 2022, 06:20:40 AM
My parents' cat is showing potential as a mouser.  Maybe he'll fix their vermin problem.

Just having the cat around will deter a lot of rodents.  The smell of predator & the litter box will make them leave even if the cat doesn't personally catch any mice.

apl68

Quote from: the_geneticist on March 09, 2022, 09:56:57 AM
Quote from: apl68 on March 09, 2022, 06:20:40 AM

Just having the cat around will deter a lot of rodents.  The smell of predator & the litter box will make them leave even if the cat doesn't personally catch any mice.

I've been in other houses where the smell of the litter box made me want to leave!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

smallcleanrat

These Cats Smash Model Trains for a Living:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzZqHPbj65I

Cute 1-minute video:
QuoteImagine a world full of massive cats knocking structures and buildings over. It's safe to say it won't happen in real life, but a restaurant in Japan has the next best thing. A stray cat family now lives at "Daiorama Cafeteria" in Osaka. They spend their days sitting beside miniature houses and smashing model trains.

Adorable variation on dinner-and-a-show.

Volhiker78

Larimar

evil_physics_witchcraft

I need to find a way to prevent youngest evil cat from chewing on cords, but I don't want to have to spray or paint everything with bitter apple/hot sauce. She bit a phone charger cord neatly in half a few weeks ago and is waaaay too interested in larger cords- really anything that kind of dangles or looks like a string.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 13, 2022, 10:21:34 AM
I need to find a way to prevent youngest evil cat from chewing on cords, but I don't want to have to spray or paint everything with bitter apple/hot sauce. She bit a phone charger cord neatly in half a few weeks ago and is waaaay too interested in larger cords- really anything that kind of dangles or looks like a string.

Maestro and Caramelo both had bad cord-chewing habits.

Maestro never chews anymore; Caramelo does, but it's rare now.

It can help to use cord coverings and velcro or adhesive holders to fix cords in place (along the wall or the desk or under a covering on the floor). The less dangling and cord movement, the less tempting a target.

That coupled with numerous iterations of "No!" and pulling kitty away seems to have helped a lot.

Good luck!

the_geneticist

You can buy cord covers.  They look sort of like old-school phone cords.  But your kitty might find them just as tasty!
My sister had good luck covering cords with aluminum foil when her kitties were in a chewing phase.  Not great for the decor, but at least deterred the cats.
Maybe try a chewy cat toy?  Or a strip of raw hide?  Redirect the behavior to allow for chewing on approved objects. 
And some cats like hot sauce.  Buddycat didn't seem to mind the flavor at all.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We've considered the cord covers and the rawhide. Elder evil cat used to chew on our dog's rawhide bone. Maybe I'll pick up some rawhide and see how youngest likes it.

OneMoreYear

Ninja is being velcro-kitty this weekend. She's usually SO's cat and hangs out in the same room with him, sometimes on his lap. But this weekend, she has apparently decided to attempt to spend the majority of the weekend on my lap while I'm working. It's nice to have a lapcat, but a weird change.  Maybe she heard me lamenting about not having a lapcat too (Ricochet is definitely not a lapcat) and decided to give me some love.