News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AvidReader

Artemis is also a cord-eater and will also chew anything that looks like metal (including tinfoil). The cardboard inserts for paper towel and toilet paper rolls have worked better, but we've also taken to hiding a lot of cords inside closed cardboard boxes and just letting them come out the corners. Spouse has made some plywood covers for cords that don't work in our boxes. I bought a pool noodle to try but we've had good luck with the cardboard so haven't gotten to that yet.

AR.

clean

My grocery store has the option of paper bags.  I take them up on that option.  In the olden days when I had cats, paper bags were lots and lots of fun.  Perhaps a 'new toy' of paper bags and something to pounce from the new lair would distract them from the cord chewing. 

However, the bad tasting stuff may be most effective.  Sometimes, what works best is the most work!  (there is NO 'Easy Button')
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Elder evil cat got a half bath today since he managed to somehow get poop on his stomach and feet. He is not a long hair cat, so I have no idea how he got it on his belly. Let me just say, it was not fun cleaning him.

mamselle

Did he roll in it? Usually it's dogs that do that, but I suppose a cat can, too....

Yuck!!!!!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on March 14, 2022, 05:04:51 PM
Did he roll in it? Usually it's dogs that do that, but I suppose a cat can, too....

Yuck!!!!!

M.

No clue.

evil_physics_witchcraft

So, I'm sitting here about to tackle email and a few other things and suddenly I hear the most lugubrious/mournful meow/yowl from elder evil cat. He had dragged one of his blankets upstairs and wanted me to know about it.

Larimar

I've been sitting here working on my writing, and HerMajesty has jumped up on my lap. I'm being treated to regal purring and the opportunity to stroke soft regal fur. I feel blessed.

OneMoreYear

Today's lap-sitting adventures with the OMY cats:

Ninja (12-pound queen of the household): Let's see, the person is sitting on the couch with two open laptops, a stack of student papers, and reference material. Yes, I can totally squeeze right here stretched on top of the person's lap, the student papers, and at least one laptop. Yes, this is totally comfortable. I will now nap for the next 2 hours. ZZZZZZZZZ

Ricochet (7 pounds, might be an alien): OK, I see the person on the couch on a break from work.  No computers. Reading a book.  The person pats their lap and makes cooing sounds at me.  OK, ok I can move closer.  I will stretch one paw onto the lap. Ok, nothing bad happened . . . maybe the other paw . . . EEK RUN AWAY!

Larimar

Today's lap-sitter here is Calico. She gets really into it. She rolls and revels and nuzzles and purrs. It's adorable and I can't help but laugh. The only problem is if she jumps on me when I'm not expecting it. She's 18 pounds of large, solid feline.

Harlow2

Ulysses' recent penchant for exploring the downstairs coat closet led her to spend the night there last night. I awoke this morning to considerable wailing. Tonight she wanted back in.  I wonder what she did all night; it's not a big closet and there's not much to play with.

Puget

Scene:
Little Calico is sitting in patch of sun coming through the kitchen window, mewing insistently at me.
Guessing that she wishes to sleep in the sun, but needs a receptacle in which to do so, I move a box into the patch of sun.
Little Calico immediately jumps into the box.
Panther Boy comes over, jumps in the box, causing Little Calico to jump out of the box.
Panther Boy lies down in the box. Little Calico sits a foot away staring unblinkingly at him. Several minutes pass this way.
Panther Boy, apparently disconcerted, gets up and returns to his basket.
Little Calico retakes possession of the box and goes to sleep in it.

Conclusion:
Although she is the smallest creature in the house, Little Calico usually gets what she wants.

Quote from: Harlow2 on March 29, 2022, 06:23:29 PM
Ulysses' recent penchant for exploring the downstairs coat closet led her to spend the night there last night. I awoke this morning to considerable wailing. Tonight she wanted back in.  I wonder what she did all night; it's not a big closet and there's not much to play with.

Have you considered to possibility that it is a portal to another dimension?
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

smallcleanrat

Maybe she's visiting Narnia?

mamselle

Remind her to watch out for Puddleglums...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AvidReader

Quote from: smallcleanrat on March 29, 2022, 06:47:12 PM
Ulysses' recent penchant for exploring the downstairs coat closet led her to spend the night there last night. I awoke this morning to considerable wailing.
Maybe she's visiting Narnia?

Explains the wailing: "I was gone for MONTHS--and you didn't feed me ONCE!"

AR.

OneMoreYear

The last few nights, as I've been cleaning up before bed, I've found both Ninja and Ricochet in the kitchen near the back door.  Initially, I thought perhaps they were stalking something, which is typically the only reason they hang out together. But, there have been no mice placed in the food bowls (their preferred display place). They are clearly up to something. But neither one is talking.