News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Looks like there were 122 000 new cases in the US yesterday.

I wonder whether it's even possible for a new administration to get things under control at this point...
I know it's a genus.

mythbuster

It will get much worse in the next few weeks from all those folks standing in line to vote. They will all start developing symptoms right before Thanksgiving. Of course, many assymptomatics will go visit family for Turkey day, which will mean we will still be cresting into December.
Hold on folks, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Kron3007

Quote from: kaysixteen on October 28, 2020, 07:25:24 PM
Covering all the bases?   Did you really think of this yourself, or was the kernel of this idea planted in your mind from some reading or listening source of yours?

But let's work with this, see how it plays out: say the governor of your state (I do not know which one that is), *acting on the best scientific recommendations from his professional advisors, decides that public health needs would in fact require mandatory pet testing for covId-19 (note spelling)... on what basis would you, if you own a pet, refuse such an order, and why?

I dont know why everyone assumes that pets cannot spread the virus when they have tested positive.

Look at the recent news from Denmark, where they are killing millions of mink and have evidence of such spread.  What is even more troublesome is that there is evidence that the virus is mutating in th emink population and then can pass back to humans.  Not good news for vaccines...

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/11/6/denmark-found-214-people-infected-with-mink-related-covid-19

spork

Industrialized animal farming of any type is literally a Petri dish for zoonotic disease.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on November 06, 2020, 09:48:10 AM
Industrialized animal farming of any type is literally a Petri dish for zoonotic disease.

Good point.

pigou

Quote from: mythbuster on November 06, 2020, 08:23:30 AM
It will get much worse in the next few weeks from all those folks standing in line to vote. They will all start developing symptoms right before Thanksgiving. Of course, many assymptomatics will go visit family for Turkey day, which will mean we will still be cresting into December.
Hold on folks, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
As well as many symptomatic people. I've seen a poll in Switzerland where 15% of people with symptoms said they didn't (and wouldn't) get tested because they didn't want to self-isolate or notify people they had come into contact with.

Cheerful

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 06, 2020, 07:22:16 AM

I wonder whether it's even possible for a new administration to get things under control at this point...

Seems mostly a job for governors and local leaders in the U.S.  The feds can work on vaccines, therapeutics, PPE, etc.

Kron3007

Of course, but if mink can spread it to humans, as demonstrated in Denmark, why wouldn't dogs be able to.  I just found it weird that experts automatically said the chances are slim when we don't actually know.

Kron3007

Quote from: Cheerful on November 06, 2020, 11:47:44 AM

Seems mostly a job for governors and local leaders in the U.S.  The feds can work on vaccines, therapeutics, PPE, etc.

Really?  You don't think a national strategy and leadership on the issue would help?

I am in Canada, and while we have not done great, it has so far been much better than south of the border.  Part of this is a clear and consistent message from all levels of government. 

Cheerful

Quote from: Kron3007 on November 06, 2020, 11:53:16 AM

Really?  You don't think a national strategy and leadership on the issue would help?

I am in Canada, and while we have not done great, it has so far been much better than south of the border.  Part of this is a clear and consistent message from all levels of government. 

Yes, really.  The U.S. is not Canada, in so many ways.  Glad Canada is doing better.

secundem_artem

Quote from: Kron3007 on November 06, 2020, 11:48:15 AM

Of course, but if mink can spread it to humans, as demonstrated in Denmark, why wouldn't dogs be able to.  I just found it weird that experts automatically said the chances are slim when we don't actually know.

It would depend on whether dogs, cats, pet budgies or whatever have receptors for the virus to enter their cells and begin replication.  It's like humans don't get distemper and dogs don't catch a cold like humans do.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Kron3007

Quote from: secundem_artem on November 06, 2020, 12:55:22 PM
Quote from: Kron3007 on November 06, 2020, 11:48:15 AM

It would depend on whether dogs, cats, pet budgies or whatever have receptors for the virus to enter their cells and begin replication.  It's like humans don't get distemper and dogs don't catch a cold like humans do.

I guess I just wonder why they would say not to worry about it until we know.  Perhaps there was evidence and they just didn't mention it, but it seems weird to me that they wouldn't reference it of that were the case

Kron3007

Quote from: Cheerful on November 06, 2020, 12:38:46 PM
Quote from: Kron3007 on November 06, 2020, 11:53:16 AM

Yes, really.  The U.S. is not Canada, in so many ways.  Glad Canada is doing better.

Yes, I have lived in both, and they are more different than it appears on the surface.  However, I still think the feds have a major role to play in helping control Covid.  Even if it  is symbolic....

mamselle

Meanwhile, I just ran across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eo9M4-BrJA

Genius work over what is still a terrible situation....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.