News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

This makes me glad I teach labs.  Absolutely no eating or drinking in the lab rooms.  The nonmajors students are sometimes a bit baffled "but isn't this just a discussion?"  No!  What sort of "discussion section" would 1) last for 3 hours and 2) require you to wear a lab coat while handling chemicals.
The worst was a student that tried to hide a giant takeout box on their lap and sneak bites when they thought the TA wasn't watching.

FishProf

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 16, 2021, 11:46:31 PM
It is the example for the students.

Put on the damn mask and cut out your whinin'.

Was that directed at me?  Bite me.

Exactly what example should I be setting?  Ignore the rules and due what the least comfortable among us think is needed?  If that's the case, we should all be teaching remotely judging by the number of my colleagues who have bailed on their in-person commitments.

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

More of my in-person students are experiencing symptoms. I'll find out later if they are +.

FishProf

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on September 28, 2021, 08:19:57 AM
More of my in-person students are experiencing symptoms. I'll find out later if they are +.

Yikes!

I had one student come to me in tears after class b/c she had been with someone all weekend who had tested positive.  So far, she's negative, but what a thing to discover after a three-hour lab.

And I only know because the student told me.  Student Health Services has been absolutely silent.

Caracal

We are a month in. I've had lots of students miss class because of symptoms. Most haven't been positive, but a few have. I've also had students miss a few classes because they had an exposure. We don't appear to be having any huge outbreaks on campus and there's no indication of any clusters in classes, its just that I teach 150 students and there's a lot of covid around. I'm quite glad I'm vaccinated.

Puget

Quote from: Caracal on September 28, 2021, 10:22:59 AM

We are a month in. I've had lots of students miss class because of symptoms. Most haven't been positive, but a few have. I've also had students miss a few classes because they had an exposure. We don't appear to be having any huge outbreaks on campus and there's no indication of any clusters in classes, its just that I teach 150 students and there's a lot of covid around. I'm quite glad I'm vaccinated.

I hate to say it, but I suspect students are starting to use claims of the need to quarantine as the new killing off of grandparents. Our case numbers and close contact in quarantine have been very, very low (vax requirement +masks), I can see the count on our campus dashboard and roughly calculate the probabilities, so either my classes have been really unlucky, or some students are lying. Of course I'm not going to share these suspicions with them, but I do remind them that-- lucky them!-- this is a flipped course so they can still complete all the lectures and online assignments on time and catch up on the discussion section material and complete their in class assignments during TA office hours, so they shouldn't need extensions. Funnily enough, many of these students fail to do so, and indeed have missed multiple assignments in the past as well.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

the_geneticist

Quote from: Puget on September 28, 2021, 11:26:31 AM

I hate to say it, but I suspect students are starting to use claims of the need to quarantine as the new killing off of grandparents. Our case numbers and close contact in quarantine have been very, very low (vax requirement +masks), I can see the count on our campus dashboard and roughly calculate the probabilities, so either my classes have been really unlucky, or some students are lying. Of course I'm not going to share these suspicions with them, but I do remind them that-- lucky them!-- this is a flipped course so they can still complete all the lectures and online assignments on time and catch up on the discussion section material and complete their in class assignments during TA office hours, so they shouldn't need extensions. Funnily enough, many of these students fail to do so, and indeed have missed multiple assignments in the past as well.

Our students have to fill out a campus survey every day (in theory) to see if they are cleared to come to campus.  So, if they are sick we can ask to see the "You are NOT cleared to come to campus" email for that particular student.  It's not an invasion of privacy since it doesn't tell us anything the student didn't already disclose by saying they need to quarantine.

Caracal

Maybe, but I'm inclined to give students the benefit of the doubt and assume many of them are just being cautious about minor illnesses they wouldn't have worried much about before.

Puget

Quote from: Caracal on September 28, 2021, 12:42:53 PM

Maybe, but I'm inclined to give students the benefit of the doubt and assume many of them are just being cautious about minor illnesses they wouldn't have worried much about before.

Sure I do too, and I always tell students to stay home if they are sick, but I'm talking about students who say they have to quarantine due to a close contact or positive test-- the numbers just don't really line up there with the probabilities you'd expect based on the campus wide-numbers.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Caracal

Quote from: Puget on September 28, 2021, 01:28:10 PM
Quote from: Caracal on September 28, 2021, 12:42:53 PM

Sure I do too, and I always tell students to stay home if they are sick, but I'm talking about students who say they have to quarantine due to a close contact or positive test-- the numbers just don't really line up there with the probabilities you'd expect based on the campus wide-numbers.

Yeah, I suppose it is inevitable that some students will use it as an excuse. As you say though, nobody ever really "gets away" with missing class. The only reason I take attendance is because too many of my students assume that if I don't they don't need to worry about coming to class. If you have to make stuff up, at least you're aware you should be coming.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: the_geneticist on September 28, 2021, 11:34:26 AM

Our students have to fill out a campus survey every day (in theory) to see if they are cleared to come to campus.  So, if they are sick we can ask to see the "You are NOT cleared to come to campus" email for that particular student.  It's not an invasion of privacy since it doesn't tell us anything the student didn't already disclose by saying they need to quarantine.

We just have a half-assed self reporting system. One of my Covid kids came back, didn't wear a damn mask in class and we have no mask mandate, and sat near a bunch of other people who also didn't wear masks. I think the student is no longer contagious, but I don't know...

Do they think they're invincible?

kaysixteen

Go bite yourself.   My patience for those avoiding, or actively teaching against, vaxxing and masking, is done.   Period.

namazu

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 28, 2021, 11:01:03 PM
Go bite yourself.   My patience for those avoiding, or actively teaching against, vaxxing and masking, is done.   Period.
Kay, I understand your frustration with people who flout/thwart/sabotage public health measures, but your response is really uncalled for here.  There's a huge difference between being vocally opposed to masking even in situations where masking a vital part of transmission control, on the one hand, and simply taking off one's mask in situations where masking doesn't serve a useful purpose (e.g. outdoors in places where people are not close together), on the other.

FishProf

Well, that's not me so your vitriol is misplaced.

nebo113

YES!