News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

I hope it gets worked out, but it should be pointed out that some kids with IEPs (I have one of my music students, and possibly his brother, in mind) are actually happier being at home, which is how the semester at their elementary and middle schools started out last week.

Their mom is saying, on the one hand "How did I do this for nearly two years?" and on the other, "NN (the older one, my student, with various ADHD and other related issues) would be happy to be home-schooled for the rest of his life: fewer distractions and the ability to take quick time-outs anytime he needs to."

Since he does very well in our music work with structured time-outs every 15 min., and has aced his coursework over the past two years (some of which I tutored him with, at first--and was impressed with his insights and steady attention to detail), I don't think that's his mom being blindly proud, I think it's true.

Special ed is not a one-size-fits-all set of specifications, although some of those generalizations may well be true for some kids, and should be considered for all, with the understanding that the exceptions also need to be attended to.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Quote from: apl68 on January 11, 2022, 07:43:49 AM
Our test kits have arrived!  The county health office is hoping to receive more within another day or two.  We'll start getting the word out.

I relayed everything the county health officer told me about the tests for the benefit of the staff.  I'm a little concerned about staff morale.  One staff member is a serious worrier.  She gives the impression that she wants nothing to do with these kits for fear that they will bring swarms of sick, contagious people to the library.  We're going to encourage people to pick them up curbside to minimize that risk.  I've offered to take them out to the patrons myself if they want.  I'm not worried about momentary curbside contact, especially since I'll be masked.
Helpful tip: If patrons have specific questions for your staff about the test kits when they pick them up, they should be directed/referred to the county health dept.

Out of curiosity, is there a limit of how many test kits your county Health Dept has decided that people can take when your library starts distribution?

Istiblennius

Quote from: mamselle on January 11, 2022, 08:38:35 AM

Special ed is not a one-size-fits-all set of specifications, although some of those generalizations may well be true for some kids, and should be considered for all, with the understanding that the exceptions also need to be attended to.

M.

I completely agree - sorry for being unclear, I meant that the Individualized Education Plans (that exist because it is not one-size-fits-all as you one) can and should guide next steps if we go remote. My thinking is that for many of the kids with IEPs that indicate, with the support of their team, that some time at school with their supports is needed, can and should get some priority if only a smaller group of kids can get instruction in person. FWIW I do have a child on an IEP and their IEP would not indicate this need for in person, although they would still need some target one on one but that could be done remotely and still meet the needs of their IEP. They have some buddies with different IEPs that include targeted occupational therapy, social skills and mental health supports and such that might not be a good fit remotely.

mamselle

OK, yes. We're saying mostly the same things.

Most of my student's OT and other therapeutic interventions happen off-site (the school system didn't have what he needed, he has a kind of slight palsy which he has nearly outgrown, although not completely) so he was still going, with precautions, to his individual therapist during lockdown, as the only 'outside' activity (she basically became part of their pod).

He's a very gregarious kid, but direct social interaction doesn't seem to be a 'must' for him, and he (and his family--both parents are engineers) is also very geeky, so online connections are fine with him as well; it's an interesting situation.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: hmaria1609 on January 11, 2022, 08:50:48 AM
Quote from: apl68 on January 11, 2022, 07:43:49 AM
Our test kits have arrived!  The county health office is hoping to receive more within another day or two.  We'll start getting the word out.

I relayed everything the county health officer told me about the tests for the benefit of the staff.  I'm a little concerned about staff morale.  One staff member is a serious worrier.  She gives the impression that she wants nothing to do with these kits for fear that they will bring swarms of sick, contagious people to the library.  We're going to encourage people to pick them up curbside to minimize that risk.  I've offered to take them out to the patrons myself if they want.  I'm not worried about momentary curbside contact, especially since I'll be masked.
Helpful tip: If patrons have specific questions for your staff about the test kits when they pick them up, they should be directed/referred to the county health dept.

Out of curiosity, is there a limit of how many test kits your county Health Dept has decided that people can take when your library starts distribution?

Two kits per individual, up to six per household.  People can come back later and get more if they need them and they're still available.  There was some confusion initially between KITS and individual TESTS.  Each kit contains two tests.  We're counting KITS handed out.  We're not taking names, but we plan to keep an eye out to see whether any repeat customers seem to be trying to get an inordinate number of kits.  With kits in short supply overall, there's just a bit of a chance that somebody might try to get hold of a bunch and sell them.

We've handed out five kits so far, even before announcing it on our own social media. 
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Demand exploded over lunchtime!  Over three-quarters of our initial supply are now gone.  At this rate we won't last until closing time at 6:30.  We'd given away at least half the supply before we even posted anything on our own social media!  I sure hope we get more tomorrow.

This shows the wisdom of using libraries as alternative distribution points.  The health office is working hard enough as it is.  We, the other library in the county, the health unit, and the hospital have been besieged over the past two hours.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

And we're now tapped out.  The kits lasted all of six hours.  Judging from a phone call we got from a neighboring county, they ran out even faster than we did.

hmaria1609

Mayor Bowser has declared a limited public health emergency for the District:
https://wtop.com/dc/2022/01/dc-mayor-declares-limited-public-health-emergency/
Posted on WTOP online 1/11/22

secundem_artem

As found today on the interwebz:  "Although Covid spreads mostly through the mouth and nose, scientists now conclude the greatest risk comes from assholes."
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

apl68

Just got word that we're supposed to receive more tests today.  Something tells me it probably still won't meet the day's demand--but at least we'll have something.

apl68

Well, the new batch evidently arrived moments after I stepped out to lunch--and were nearly all handed out by the time I came back.  I didn't have a chance to call the Mayor's office and let them know they arrived, and nobody thought to call the school.  All but a handful were gone in less than an hour.  I don't know when we're going to get any more--what we handed out today and yesterday was our whole original allocation.  Maybe the next wave won't be too long in coming.

The line for testing at the hospital was reportedly over an hour.  I know somebody who had a minor procedure done today who was tested before they worked on him.  He didn't have such a long wait for the test, so maybe there's something to be said for having minor surgery.

Ruralguy

Ah, too bad I got my deviated septum corrected a decade ago.

Wahoo Redux

I got it.  I can't believe it.  For two years we've been very, very careful.  Seldom left the house.  Didn't go to movies or the bookstore.  Paid to have groceries delivered.  Haven't seen a museum piece or been to a concert since 2019.  Bought the good masks and double-masked when the school made us go back to class. 

Then I went west to help a sick relative over break, and somewhere in an airport, I think, I inhaled enough viral load.  Self-reported to the school and teaching remote for now.

This is very mild, probably Omicron, and I am better every day, but the fatigue is a real thing.

So, so careful.  Now I am watching my wife every day.  So far she is fine.  Of course, if this is the worst it gets it is worth the supposed "super immunity" we will have.

Ah man.  Be careful all.  Keep the masks on.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Puget

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on January 12, 2022, 05:56:32 PM
I got it.  I can't believe it.  For two years we've been very, very careful.  Seldom left the house.  Didn't go to movies or the bookstore.  Paid to have groceries delivered.  Haven't seen a museum piece or been to a concert since 2019.  Bought the good masks and double-masked when the school made us go back to class. 

Then I went west to help a sick relative over break, and somewhere in an airport, I think, I inhaled enough viral load.  Self-reported to the school and teaching remote for now.

This is very mild, probably Omicron, and I am better every day, but the fatigue is a real thing.

So, so careful.  Now I am watching my wife every day.  So far she is fine.  Of course, if this is the worst it gets it is worth the supposed "super immunity" we will have.

Glad you only have mild symptoms! Don't think of it as a failure, think of it as waiting long enough to be vaxxed, boosted and encounter a milder variant. We are almost certainly all going to have it sooner or later, but fortunately boosted vaccines turn it into mostly an annoyance for otherwise healthy folks.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Langue_doc

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on January 12, 2022, 05:56:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Although the feds seem to think that most of us are going to get the virus
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/01/11/most-people-are-going-get-covid-momentous-warning-senate-hearing/ there appear to be no penalties for not wearing masks or taking other precautions. Last week the cashier in the grocery store had her mask pulled down to her chin.