News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

I am completely out of bandwidth about....

Started by secundem_artem, March 27, 2022, 03:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

I move in circles where nobody seems to pay any attention to the Oscars.  I didn't even know about what happened until well into Monday.  All I can say about it is that having somebody speak ugly about a loved one is understandably angering, but if you slap the offender upside the head you've just ceded the moral high ground yourself.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on March 29, 2022, 07:37:24 AM
I move in circles where nobody seems to pay any attention to the Oscars.  I didn't even know about what happened until well into Monday.  All I can say about it is that having somebody speak ugly about a loved one is understandably angering, but if you slap the offender upside the head you've just ceded the moral high ground yourself.

And perhaps more important practically is that now the offending comment has had vastly more publicity than it ever would have otherwise.
It takes so little to be above average.

little bongo

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 29, 2022, 07:39:42 AM
Quote from: apl68 on March 29, 2022, 07:37:24 AM

And perhaps more important practically is that now the offending comment has had vastly more publicity than it ever would have otherwise.

As does the movie G.I. Jane.

secundem_artem

Quote from: mahagonny on March 28, 2022, 05:45:16 PM
QuoteThe director of all things woke at Artem U sends out an email once a week asking for our support, outrage, awareness, wailing, gnashing of teeth & rending of garments or whatever about the latest issue of the moment.  I am now at the point where reading about the big meeting on Tuesday so we can all express our love and support for the latest entry in the Misery Olympics actually makes me angry.

So, 'the plight of the adjunct' (from your list) has been one of their topics? Somehow I doubt it.

Yeah.  Too bad said adjuncts are not POC.  Then we could all fall down crying at their sad, sad, lot in life.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mahagonny

Quote from: secundem_artem on March 29, 2022, 11:09:41 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on March 28, 2022, 05:45:16 PM
QuoteThe director of all things woke at Artem U sends out an email once a week asking for our support, outrage, awareness, wailing, gnashing of teeth & rending of garments or whatever about the latest issue of the moment.  I am now at the point where reading about the big meeting on Tuesday so we can all express our love and support for the latest entry in the Misery Olympics actually makes me angry.

So, 'the plight of the adjunct' (from your list) has been one of their topics? Somehow I doubt it.

Yeah.  Too bad said adjuncts are not POC.  Then we could all fall down crying at their sad, sad, lot in life.

Indeed. Come to think of it, why are there so few black adjunct faculty? Only something like 7, 7  1/2 %.