News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anselm

I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

dismalist

There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Economizer

I am said to be old, and I substitute teach.  Last week, while shepherding an agricultural science class, I decided to try to enlighten a large high school class about hygiene.  The area about which I chose to remark was hand washing. 

When I was a youngster, our family had a nursemaid that instructed us to at least rinse our hands after a long day of play, after touching unsanitary areas, or before coming to dinner.  I tried to tie this in to a "Good, Better, Best" approach to "cleaning up" but I am afraid the students thought that meant that they should only make sure to rinse their hands as an added precaution during this time of disease worries. THAT IS NOT WHAT I MEANT!

Having been in a variety of school systems during the past twenty years, I know that, although at the start of school most bathroom areas are well supplied and in a good state of cleanliness, the
restroom areas become dirty, stopped up, non functioning, and missing paper towels and such very quickly.  So I suggest that if one finds oneself in one of those areas, one should at least consider these good, better, best priorities:

1.  No water, try to find sanitizer/sanitizer wipes
       2. Room temp water only, at least rinse (and dry if possible)
          3. Heated water, dry
             4.  Heated water and soap, dry
                5.  Heated water, rub up soapy hands while whistling Dix..uh.. a tune for about 20 seconds, then drying them.

Being a guy and having been a teenager, I know that the impulse for some guys is to just rub their hands around in their pockets a bit ( I know nothing of what girls might do!).  You, of course can design your own process choice protocol for a portion of hygiene activities, as I have had only a few minutes of experience at this. 

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

bacardiandlime

Things have really gone crazy now. Planes turned around mid-flight. Governments cancelling things left right and center. And maybe Trudeau has it.

bacardiandlime

I hope forumites are ok. This whole thing has spiralled from when I started this thread!

Cheerful

Yeah, what a difference less than two months has made since you started the thread, bacardiandlime.

I'd like to see a thread on optimistic and "good news" things related to the virus.

We'll have less air pollution for awhile.  The first vaccine experiment has begun. Some therapeutics for other illnesses are showing promise.  Things like that.

bacardiandlime

I like that some people are reaching out and helping neighbors. Offering to get things for them, sharing.

mamselle

We're doing something a little like that on the "humor & wisdom" thread, if you want to join us!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

I SCORED! !!  I was able to get BREAD AND MILK!!!

I also picked up a 14 pound turkey. I am NOW prepared for quarantine! 

In graduate school I cooked a 14/16 pound bird every term... Quick quiz... How much turkey can you eat if you cook a 16 pound turkey and a term lasts 15 weeks?  Enough that I have not cooked a turkey in almost 20 years!!  BUT if Im stuck home and with 2 days (defrost) notice, It will be Turkey, Turkey, Turkey.... turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, turkey hash, turkey with rice, turkey with stuffing, turkey with potatoes, ...

So I am now ready. I have (fat free - only choice) milk, bread, turkey and I already have plenty of eggs.

Are you able to find what YOU want at your store?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Anselm

Quote from: bacardiandlime on March 17, 2020, 02:21:08 PM
I like that some people are reaching out and helping neighbors. Offering to get things for them, sharing.

People in my town have begun a Facebook group with  name like What's For Dinner Springfield?   It is meant to inform us about take out and delivery options from our local independent restaurants who can no longer have  diners inside.   
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Puget

Quote from: clean on March 17, 2020, 05:35:54 PM

I went yesterday evening and it was surprising un-apocolypic but the pattern of what was depleted and not was quite bizarre--

Almost no bottled water. WHY?! Water is the one thing you do not need to buy. Our tap water is just fine. It will continue to be fine.

No eggs at all, but plenty of cheese and yogurt. Limited supply of milk but plenty of non-diary milks. Somewhat depleted produce supply, but still a good selection. Almost no rice and a limited supply of dried beans, but lots of pasta left. Very little toilet paper. Plenty of everything else so far as I saw (frozen foods, snack foods, cereal).

I mostly went to get more yeast so I can continue to bake my own bread (which I always do), and garlic (which was urgent, obviously). But I also took the occasion to buy more peanut butter, dried beans, cheese, and chocolate. Definitely set now for quite a while.

Strangest cart I saw at check out-- two young men buying bottled water, four packages of Oreos and one box of nutrigrain bars.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

dismalist

Apparently, people are stocking up on guns and ammo.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-15/coronavirus-pandemic-gun-sales-surge-us-california

Well, whether this is rational or not depends on who one's neighbors are! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: dismalist on March 17, 2020, 07:18:16 PM

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-15/coronavirus-pandemic-gun-sales-surge-us-california

Didn't know you could shoot the virus!  Cool.

Kind of reminds me of the surge in gun sales when Obama was elected and certain people were sure he was going to impose martial law. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

apostrophe

Quote from: clean on March 17, 2020, 05:35:54 PM
I SCORED! !!  I was able to get BREAD AND MILK!!!

I also picked up a 14 pound turkey. I am NOW prepared for quarantine! 

In graduate school I cooked a 14/16 pound bird every term... Quick quiz... How much turkey can you eat if you cook a 16 pound turkey and a term lasts 15 weeks?  Enough that I have not cooked a turkey in almost 20 years!!  BUT if Im stuck home and with 2 days (defrost) notice, It will be Turkey, Turkey, Turkey.... turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, turkey hash, turkey with rice, turkey with stuffing, turkey with potatoes, ...

So I am now ready. I have (fat free - only choice) milk, bread, turkey and I already have plenty of eggs.

Turkey chili?

nebo113

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on March 17, 2020, 08:31:27 PM
Quote from: dismalist on March 17, 2020, 07:18:16 PM

Didn't know you could shoot the virus!  Cool.

Kind of reminds me of the surge in gun sales when Obama was elected and certain people were sure he was going to impose martial law.

My rural county is both a 2nd amendment sanctuary and a militia supporter (whatever that means).  I expect the gun toting militias to park at the county line and shoot the virus as it attempts to enter .....  If not, what's the point of a gun toting militia?