Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: nebo113 on April 05, 2020, 06:26:25 AM
Quote from: writingprof on April 04, 2020, 03:00:00 PM
Quote from: paultuttle on April 04, 2020, 10:15:54 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on April 04, 2020, 07:14:51 AM
Quote from: writingprof on April 04, 2020, 07:10:21 AM

We live in an ironic age, but Trump losing the election because his voters were literally too stupid to live would really be something.

Now that you mention it, it's inevitable that some analysis is going to be done after the election to try and estimate the "covid effect" in close races.

The truly horrifying element for me is how completely expendable some Trumpists think the base is. What an extreme disregard for human life!

It's really Stalin-esque.

Well, you can't make an omelet without breaking a few . . . never mind, let's change the subject to whether abortion is an essential service. As a conservative, I'm on firmer ground there.

As usual, you are on thin ice.

I wonder how many conservatives in the academic life just keep their views to themselves in the land that loves diversity.

writingprof

Quote from: mahagonny on April 05, 2020, 12:35:21 PM
I wonder how many conservatives in the academic life just keep their views to themselves in the land that loves diversity.

This is one of my favorite subjects! The short answer is, we're everywhere, and our numbers are growing. And because we've trained ourselves to make woke noises from time to time, you'll never spot us. We'll just linger, biding our time, honing our outlawed arguments, until our enemies relax. Then we'll pounce.

marshwiggle

Quote from: writingprof on April 05, 2020, 01:56:03 PM

This is one of my favorite subjects! The short answer is, we're everywhere, and our numbers are growing. And because we've trained ourselves to make woke noises from time to time, you'll never spot us. We'll just linger, biding our time, honing our outlawed arguments, until our enemies relax. Then we'll pounce.

Even middle-of-the-road people are in the same boat; when expressing anything other than the progressive mantra will get someone villified all kinds of people will just remain silent.

Acquiesence <> agreement
It takes so little to be above average.

dismalist

I worry not so much about the so-called progressive mantra in higher ed:

-The academy has always been nuts and ignored in real life.

-The main centers of the mantra are private, expensive places. Let them pay for their own nonsense.

-Most important, the mantra that is taught does nothing specific for the economic well being of graduates. The mantra will be competed away without massive additional state support, which I do not see coming. [If I'm wrong about this last, all bets are off.]

Disclaimer: Along with Freddy Hayek, I am not a conservative. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

namazu

Quote from: Cheerful on April 05, 2020, 11:59:05 AM
Quote from: namazu on April 05, 2020, 11:12:22 AM
When we have valid, reliable, widely-available antibody tests, it will be much easier to get a sense of the scope of infection in the population.
When do you reckon that will be?
Good question!

A few labs have developed tests already, though there may still be validation and production steps required before those tests can be deployed broadly and with confidence.

The CDC has just started conducting serosurveys.  Hopefully we'll know more soon (over the next few months). 

Of course, knowing that infection was widespread in your region and knowing for sure whether you personally have been infected are two different things. 

spork

This sounds like a virus. Or a parasite. Watch out!

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

writingprof

Quote from: spork on April 05, 2020, 02:50:47 PM

Indeed. I make a new conservative every time I cough.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: spork on April 05, 2020, 02:50:47 PM

Or a pipe dream.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

secundem_artem

So now, we're all supposed to wear a mask when we go out.  But masks are all sold out so we're to MacGyver our own solutions.

I predict there's going to be a problem if I walk into a liquor store or a bank wearing a bandana and with my hands in my pockets.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

sprout

Quote from: secundem_artem on April 05, 2020, 09:05:25 PM
So now, we're all supposed to wear a mask when we go out.  But masks are all sold out so we're to MacGyver our own solutions.

I literally spent all day today hand-stitching ONE.  I'm very proud of it, but - ain't got time for this ****.

science.expat

I predict there's going to be a problem if I walk into a liquor store or a bank wearing a bandana and with my hands in my pockets.

Indeed! And here the cops are stopping people on the street to ask whether they're on essential business. Apparently some guy got busted when he said he was going to meet his drug dealer.

I wonder how the cops would respond to someone wearing a bandana who said they were heading to the bank... :-)

clean

Yep... we are entering a Twilight Zone phase when the police stop the people NOT wearing masks! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

bacardiandlime

Photos on social media suggest some rather creative alternatives have been tried (plastic bags, scuba masks, bras, bikini briefs, paper bags).

nebo113

I did and they didn't give me a second glance.

Morris Zapp

My husband is required to wear one at work with the military. He was informed of this last evening. He went to work this morning wearing my pink flamingo running scarf that you can pull up over your face. So professional