News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: dismalist on April 07, 2020, 02:19:13 PM
I find it difficult to understand how at least some labs can be virtualized. Sure, the instructor can demonstrate. But what are students to do? I'm thinking of a chem lab. I'm seriously interested intellectually, not practically, for I don't run a lab.

I can't speak for chem, but with my physics lab for the summer, since a couple of lab exercises are already on data analysis, those can stay the same whether students generate their own data or have it given to them. I'm working on a simple simulation of an experiement online; I can incorporate randomness in the readings. The one thing the "virtual" experiment will allow is generating as much data as they can stand, rather than being limited by the physical logistics of the lab. (Important point, as I see it: virtual labs will make sense to focus on different factors than actual labs, so students may get more of some things out of the experience while obviously getting less (or none) of others.)

I'll see how it goes......
It takes so little to be above average.

dismalist

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 07, 2020, 02:27:27 PM
Quote from: dismalist on April 07, 2020, 02:19:13 PM
I find it difficult to understand how at least some labs can be virtualized. Sure, the instructor can demonstrate. But what are students to do? I'm thinking of a chem lab. I'm seriously interested intellectually, not practically, for I don't run a lab.

... Important point, as I see it: virtual labs will make sense to focus on different factors than actual labs, so students may get more of some things out of the experience while obviously getting less (or none) of others.)

Excellent point, the Law of Comparative Advantage in yet another guise! Should have thought of it myself. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

Quote from: spork on April 07, 2020, 12:17:21 PM
State authorities announced that six people from my neighborhood are dead from Covid-19.

I'm sorry for your neighborhood's loss.

The town next to mine announced their first known death yesterday.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

Quote from: writingprof on April 07, 2020, 01:22:22 PM
Here's a question for everyone: Is there any reason a university should decide now to move fall classes online? I can't think of one, and yet I hear rumblings.

My university delayed Summer 1 registration a week because entire session is moving to online. The delay was apparently because registrar's office had to do massive updates to registration system so all classes would show as online. I'm not sure why that was essential, but maybe you're hearing rumblings because of similar discussions about time needed for system updates?
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mythbuster

All of our summer courses are labelled as "Remote", which is not the same as Online. Only those courses originally scheduled to be delivered Online receive that designation. I wonder if this is an accreditation thing.

bacardiandlime

Quote from: mythbuster on April 07, 2020, 07:43:16 PM
All of our summer courses are labelled as "Remote", which is not the same as Online. Only those courses originally scheduled to be delivered Online receive that designation. I wonder if this is an accreditation thing.

Probably. Some places also require instructors to have different training to officially teach "ONLINE" courses.

marshwiggle

Quote from: bacardiandlime on April 08, 2020, 01:49:11 AM

Probably. Some places also require instructors to have different training to officially teach "ONLINE" courses.

At our place (in Canada) it's an indication that the course wasn't designed to be online, so it's probably a little rough around the edges. (There are actually grants people can get normally to put a course online, reflecting the amount of work it takes to do properly.)
It takes so little to be above average.

nebo113

Quote from: mamselle on April 07, 2020, 04:27:33 PM
Quote from: spork on April 07, 2020, 12:17:21 PM
State authorities announced that six people from my neighborhood are dead from Covid-19.

I'm sorry for your neighborhood's loss.

The town next to mine announced their first known death yesterday.

M.

I am working with a few others to set up a FB site for our county to attempt to collect and disseminate Covid 19 information.  Would you all PM me about how the information was disseminated in your areas?  Thank you,

Scotia

It may be to make easer to change courses back to "face-to-face" (or whatever they are normally labelled) in systems once we are able to return to teaching on campus. Instead of having to manually search through courses because all are now labelled "online" it will be possible to do a simple global search and replace for "remote" so that the courses that are normally taught online are untouched by the changes.

Economizer

Just to make sure no stone is
unturned. I listened to a BBC guest as he, I think, gave protocol before C-19 possible sufferers sought medical help. In that was noted " a continuos spell of coughing lasting for more than an hour". Could that be linked symptomatticaly or treatmentwise to
whooping cough. I've not
heard mention of that malady's medicines or treatments being applied against the Caronavirus.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

namazu

Quote from: Economizer on April 08, 2020, 07:06:20 AM
unturned. I listened to a BBC guest as he, I think, gave protocol before C-19 possible sufferers sought medical help. In that was noted " a continuos spell of coughing lasting for more than an hour". Could that be linked symptomatticaly or treatmentwise to
whooping cough. I've not heard mention of that malady's medicines or treatments being applied against the Caronavirus.
Whooping cough is cause by a bacterium, Bordetella pertussis, and there is a vaccine to prevent it.  In general, antibiotics used to treat bacterial infections don't work to treat viruses. 

Whooping cough also tends to be most severe in young children, whereas this coronavirus tends to be most severe in older people. 

While there may be some similarities -- both affect the lungs and cause a cough, and severe cases may require oxygen support in a hospital -- it's not likely that there would be much cross-over in potential medical treatments, unfortunately.

namazu

Quote from: nebo113 on April 08, 2020, 05:12:23 AM
I am working with a few others to set up a FB site for our county to attempt to collect and disseminate Covid 19 information.  Would you all PM me about how the information was disseminated in your areas?  Thank you,
My county publishes a map and table with case counts by zip code.  I've seen other county health departments with maps showing case counts by town.  I can PM you some examples, if you'd like.  Of course, if your county or state's health department doesn't already publish this info somewhere, you'd likely have to source it from news reports.

Economizer

Quote from: namazu on April 08, 2020, 07:46:24 AM
Quote from: Economizer on April 08, 2020, 07:06:20 AM
whooping cough. I've not heard mention of that malady's medicines or treatments being applied against the Caronavirus.
Whooping cough is cause by a bacterium, Bordetella pertussis, and there is a vaccine to prevent it.  In general, antibiotics used to treat bacterial infections don't work to treat viruses. 

Whooping cough also tends to be most severe in young children, whereas this coronavirus tends to be most severe in older people. 

While there may be some similarities -- both affect the lungs and cause a cough, and severe cases may require oxygen support in a hospital -- it's not likely that there would be much cross-over in potential medical treatments, unfortunately.
OK, unlikely. Impossible? Thank you for your reply.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

mahagonny

So when is the government going to send us free codeine (cough suppressant) so we don't infect others?

clean

QuoteSo when is the government going to send us free codeine (cough suppressant) so we don't infect others?

I have no idea what is being prescribed for treating the symptoms of CV19. I would think that codeine would not be ideal.  One of the symptoms is shortness of breath.  Things that would suppress ones ability to breath would not really be ideal.

What ARE doctors prescribing to treat the symptoms?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader