News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

secundem_artem

Has anyone received their stimulus payment from the feds yet?  What did you do/plan to do with it?  Ours was significantly smaller than we expected due to our income, but I suppose that just means we are lucky and it's a good problem to have.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

downer

Got mine last week. Straight into my bank account. I didn't give a thought to it. I'm sure that I'll be paying it back at some point.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

pgher

I am fairly comfortable (still working from home etc.), so I donated a large fraction of it to two community organizations who help those who are not so fortunate.

clean

My single (evil , rich) income is above the cap, so no money for me. However, my fiance is single (and poor) but hasnt yet got her check. 
Will we get a break in next year's taxes?  While I make too much as a single, our combined income will be well below the cap.  Will I get a credit in next year's taxes when Im no longer single (and rich), but married and below the combined cap?

For the second half of the question, I m investing in retirement accounts, cutting back on other expenses as I isolate at home (much less gas going in the car, eating at home more).  So Im saving as much as I can as married life will be more expensive, and after reading the Furlough thread with the pay cuts at different places, Im trying to keep my expenses in check.

Even if my state reopens, I plan to stay home.  In fact, I fear that as the governors reopen their states, it will mean that my life is in even greater danger!  I will be even more likely to stay home and cut back on what little I venture out now.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

pigou

Yep and went straight into my brokerage account. Good time to buy stocks.

pgher

Quote from: pigou on April 21, 2020, 06:39:15 PM
Yep and went straight into my brokerage account. Good time to buy stocks.

Or oil futures.

dismalist

If I knew what stocks or oil were going to do in future, why would I tell anyone? :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

evil_physics_witchcraft

Yep. I received my check. Right now, it's sitting in the bank. I may use some of it to work on the house.

On another note, I became aware of a faculty member who is posting about protesting the 'lockdown' on FB. Anyone else see this? I think this person may plan on attending.

bacardiandlime

Not on FB so I don't see this protest stuff. Are they demanding that colleges reopen or what?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: bacardiandlime on April 22, 2020, 03:46:39 AM
Not on FB so I don't see this protest stuff. Are they demanding that colleges reopen or what?

This person subscribes to a lot of conspiracy theory ideas. Basically, our civil liberties are being violated by a shelter-in-place order. Disturbing.

secundem_artem

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 22, 2020, 07:48:19 AM

This person subscribes to a lot of conspiracy theory ideas. Basically, our civil liberties are being violated by a shelter-in-place order. Disturbing.

Anne Frank spent 2 years in an attic.  Americans can't manage a month. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Caracal

Quote from: secundem_artem on April 22, 2020, 08:20:03 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 22, 2020, 07:48:19 AM

Anne Frank spent 2 years in an attic.  Americans can't manage a month.

I really don't think there's broad based support for this stuff. The polls have all showed pretty broad support for restrictions. These ideas are being promoted in coordinated well funded efforts by extremist groups. It also seems like most of the participants at these rallies and people spouting rhetoric online are the usual suspects. Militia groups, Racial extremists, Anti-Vaxxers, all the usual suspects. Of course, the idea is to take these fringe ideas and make them mainstream. That's what I worry about.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: smallcleanrat on April 19, 2020, 08:45:55 PM
<snip>
As a result of pandemic-related stressors, including the loss of normal face-to-face interaction, has anyone else experienced any of the following?

1) Decreased success rate sticking to a regular hygiene routine (e.g. going days without showering or changing clothes)
2) Irregular eating and/or sleeping schedule
3) Missing time (i.e. realizing a significant chunk of time has passed that you cannot account for as you do not remember what you were doing)
4) A strong sense that your surroundings are not real, as though you were trapped in a dream or a video game
5) A feeling of being disconnected from your own body, such that you barely feel objects you are touching or actions you are performing and looking down at yourself or looking at your reflection gives a sense that you are looking at someone else

Yes to 1 & 2, No to the others.

In addition, a general malaise which, now that I think about it, feels a lot like post-9/11.  There's the same sense of futility and doom that, even though I know humans have weathered much worse than this, still saps my focus and energy.  I'm fighting back (with varying success) by lowering expectations, being kind and helpful, restricting my news-watching habit, and trying to take care of myself - especially in the areas of nutritious food, adequate sleep, staying physically active, and doing at least a few pleasant things every day.

bacardiandlime

My (completely unscientific) sense of academics is they are either a flurry of productivity, and journal submissions, or complete paralysis.

bacardiandlime

There's apparently a gender divide going on too - women's submissions to academic journals in several fields have dropped off.

https://www.thelily.com/women-academics-seem-to-be-submitting-fewer-papers-during-coronavirus-never-seen-anything-like-it-says-one-editor/